Chapter 11

Mystery Song

Krystal’s POV

As I waved goodbye to Amber, I fish my keys to unlock the front door. But then before I open the door knob, it suddenly opened by my angry sister. “Whoah” I said to myself. I took a deep breath and enter the house. I knew any minute now she would burst out her anger at me for not going home yesterday.

“JUNG SOO-JUNG,  WHY-“ I cut her off immediately because I know this will going to be a long sermon

“Unnie, please calm down. Don’t scrunch your eyebrows you will experience aging fast. Geez.” I tried to loosen up the atmosphere

“Yah, don’t change the topic.” She crossed her arm and motions me to sit onto the couch. “Where did you go last night, huh? And why don’t you answer your phone! I’m calling you hundreds of times! I was going to the police station to report that you are missing, but they said the person must be at least 48 hours missing until to be declared missing. I don’t know what to do, mom and dad aren’t here. If I told them that you are missing they will probably kill me because you are my responsibility!” She said to me while walking back and forth in front of me, and my god she’s making me dizzy. I know she was very worried about my whereabouts, so I can’t blame her being like this.

“Unnie.” I hold her arm, forbidding her to move. “Breathe; I’m here now so don’t worry anymore.” She was taking deep amounts of air and I wait until she calm her nerves down.

“Okay, unnie I’ll explain..” I patted the space beside me signalling her to seat beside me. “Okay, Ji-Won texted me yesterday that she was sick and will unable to do her part on our research. I want to finish our research beforehand so that we will not going to cram. So, I decided to go to the library and finish it. Because I was tired of reading tons of books and articles, I fell asleep. I was being oblivious of the time, and when I wake up, the library was dark and its lock.”

“The librarian didn’t see you sleeping?!” Jessica unnie was doubting my answer.

“No, I guess not. I was sleeping at the farthest corner of the library that was behind the big shelves.” I turn my head to her and look at her telling her that I am not lying.

“And then? What did you do?” Her face is somewhat became worried. She put her hand on my shoulder.

“Well, good thing my classmate was there too!” I smiled as I remember Amber. ‘Wait, did I just smile?’

“WHO IS IT?! IS IT A BOY? IF IT IS A BOY I’M GONNA KILL HIM. DID HE DO SOMETHING BAD TO YOU?!” My sister’s yelling got me back on my trance.

“Yah, unnie. Don’t over react! She’s a girl. Her name is Amber Liu.”

“Amber Liu? Oh! Jackie’s sister?” Unnie asked. Unnie and Jackie are on the same class and good friends too.

I nodded. “Yes, she’s Jackie’s sister. We’re both thinking of ways on how to escape in that library. My phone is dead and she forgot her’s at home.”

“What an idiot! Forgetting her phone at home, aissh!” Jessica unnie said. She was kinda annoyed at the stupidity that Amber did.

“I know right!” We both laugh. When we both calmed down, I decided to continue the story. “So where did I stop?... Oh yeah, she left her phone at home.  She fell asleep too because she was busy studying. We tried banging the door but the lock is on the other side and the guards are on their post at that time so they can’t hear us anymore. She shared her food to me and...” I suddenly looked at my hand, remembering what Amber did when I was sleeping.

“And.. and what?” unnie said making me back into my trance again.

“Nothing. She really take good of me, so don’t worry anymore okay unnie?” I wrapped my arms around her so that she will not worry anymore.

“Okay then, I can’t afford losing you Soo-jungie. I love you.” Unnie wrapped her arms around me too. Since my brother passed away, we became very close now and I can’t take it if something bad will happen to her.

“I love you too, unnie.” I smiled and let go of my arms. “I better wash up, I’m going to school in a while so you better make me breakfast!” I commanded her.

“Go upstairs, you stink. I don’t want too, I’m tired.” She said. I knew she was lying. This is the way we show our love with each other.

I stuck my tongue out and head up upstairs. On the way I heard her shouting “Yah ugly face, always bring your charger okay?!” I just smiled. My sister is very thoughtful always. I enter my bedroom and I flopped myself on my big bed and I just realized that I was wearing Amber’s jacket. I didn’t have a chance to return it to her. I take it off and nicely fold it. I’m gonna give it to Amber later, I thought.

 

---

Amber’s POV

After I saw Krystal entering their house, I walk towards our house. I ready myself because I knew Jackie would kill me once I set my foot onto the front door. I was thinking too deeply and I realize that I was right in front of house now.

“Well this is it.” I took a deep breath and turn the knob of the door. I closed the door immediately and put my bag in front of me as my shield, because I am afraid that I might be hit by flying things. Who knows right? It was merely 3 minutes that I was standing there and holding by bag against my face as I heard footsteps coming near.

“Oh you’re here.” I heard Jackie’s voice but I continue not to move on my spot.

“Yah. What are you doing, llama? Why are you just standing there?” She said as I heard some chair noises and clinking of other stuffs. I became scared; I harden my grip on my bag.

“I... I’m shielding myself against you.” I spoke quietly.

“What?! Come here idiot and join me eating breakfast!” She shouted.

I slowly release the bag and I saw her eating her cereal at the dining table. She was right; I started walking towards the table and sat across her. I was waiting for her to speak anything but it seems that nothing came out. When she saw me not touching any food she begins to talk.

“Are you going to eat?” She asked.

“You’re not going to say anything? You’re not mad?”

“No.” She just said it emotionlessly and continues to eat her cereal

“Really? You’re not worried about me?” I pouted. I can’t believe my sister for being like this.

“Yah, you have a black belt on Taekwondo. Why should I worry about you?” She said.

I felt sad. My sister wasn’t even worried about me. Does she even love me? I mean, I’m her sister. Why is she being like this? I can’t take it anymore. I wanted to blurt out many things but it didn’t come out so I just said.. “Okay.” And I walked my way towards the stairs. Suddenly I felt a pair of arms on my waist and I shouted as Jackie lifted me and slam me into the couch.

“Why are you such being so dramatic?” She ruffled my hair.

“Get off me, Jackie!” I try to push her away but I was once again defeated when she started tickling me. “Yah, stop it... Jackie!” She finally let go of me, we looked at each other and just laughed.

“Of course I was worried about you. I was more worried when I called you and I heard your phone ringing at your room. But I knew nothing will happen something bad to you because I knew you learn some self-defense.  Before you came in, Jessica called me and tell me everything. She even told me to remind you that you bring your phone always!” She ruffled my hair and I hug her and she hugged me too.

“Okay this is too much, get off!” Jackie was pushing me off her but I don’t want to let go.

“No. I know you like it.” I tighten my hug on her waist.

She just laughed and ruffled my hair more. “Go upstairs now and prepare then go down and have some breakfast with me.” She let go her arms and patted me at the shoulder.

“I won’t go to school today. I’m kinda tired and my neck hurts a bit. I want to rest. I’ll go to the practice instead.” With that I ran upstairs and I jumped onto my bed. Oh how I miss my bed so much. I started to look at the ceiling and recall the things that happen yesterday. From enemies, we became instantly friends. She’s not that bad at all really.

I suddenly turn my head at my drawer; I got up and pull out the music notebook. I start to write some lyrics and hum some tune, and without even realizing it I am starting to write a song.