Chapter 8

Mystery Song

Krystal and Amber are both trapped in the school’s library. They both regret falling asleep and sitting on the farthermost table when no one can see them. Amber shifts her position and lean on the shelf in front of her so that somewhat she can see Krystal. Amber let out a deep sigh, she wanted to comfort Krystal but she knew that they are not that in good terms so she really doesn’t know how will she going to approach the girl. Amber looked at her watch; it was already past their dinner time. Her mom’s probably worried about her whereabouts and the worst part is: she left her phone in their house.

She looked at Krystal, she was sitting and hugging her knees and she was hiding her face under. Suddenly Amber heard a sound, more like a grumble she thought. She knew that it wasn’t her but the sound was coming from Krystal. Amber reaches her bag; she remembers that her mom packed her a heavy lunch and snack because she was going to the training. She opens her lunch box that contains 3 rolls of kimbap that was evenly sliced by her mom. She slides her lunchbox towards Krystal.

“Here.” Krystal looks at the container that Amber gave her. She then looked at Amber and in return, Amber smiled.

“I bet you’re really hungry now... so uhm here.” Krystal just stare Amber, she doesn’t know what to respond. Krystal was really really hungry but she was so shy to take Amber’s food.

Amber gets her things and move beside Krystal. Amber finds it a bit awkward because of their sudden closeness, so she then moves back a bit just to have a space between them.

“You don’t want them?” Amber asks Krystal without making an eye contact to Krystal. Krystal just shakes her head even though she really wants it. Amber was about to lose her patience because Krystal keeps on rejecting her food.

“Yah. I didn’t put poison in it. See!” Amber shoves 2 big slices in making her choke a bit. Amber was coughing and patting her chest continuously. Krystal let out a chuckle; she reaches her bag and gets her tumbler filled with water.

“Here drink this.” Krystal handed the water to Amber and let her drink it. She unconsciously put her right hand on Amber’s back and gently it just to ease the feeling.

Amber wipes and handed the tumbler to Krystal. “Thanks.” Amber notices Krystal’s hand on her back. Krystal retreats her hand quickly and shoves the tumbler back inside her back. Krystal suddenly blushes on the sudden action she did awhile ago, good thing Amber didn’t see it.

Amber slides her lunchbox again towards Krystal; she hopes this time the girl will accept her food. Krystal looks at Amber again and she saw that Amber smiled at her. Krystal finally give in, she was really starving. She gets one slice of kimbap into . “So how was it?” Amber asked Krystal if she likes the rice roll. Krystal didn’t answer Amber’s question, she immediately shove another piece of rice roll into . Amber was surprised by the sudden action; she finds it cute and let out a chuckle. “Yah, eat slowly no one will steal that food from you.” Amber just watch Krystal eating her food, Krystal stops and slides the container back to Amber.

“Here, you must be hungry too.” Krystal said.

“Nah it’s okay.” Amber slides the container back to Krystal. She reaches her bag and pulls out a smaller container containing another roll of kimbap. “That’s my lunch and this is my snack for the training awhile ago. You can have it.” Amber smiled at her and opens the small container and eat.

They are both eating their food quietly and they both sense the awkward atmosphere between them. This was really a rare moment in the two of them, because whenever they are going to see each other they always bicker and fight each other. When they are both finished eating, Krystal gives the lunchbox back to Amber and Amber places the two containers inside her bag.

“Thanks.” Krystal muttered but it was loud enough for Amber to hear.

“You’re welcome.” Amber scratches her head. She wanted to prolong their conversation. She thought that it’s going to be a boring night if they are just going to sit quietly side by side. Suddenly Amber looks at her bag, she began searching for something and hoping that she didn’t left it at home. When she finally found it, she clears and thinking of some words on how she will start the conversation.

“Uhmm.” Amber scratches her head again. “Here.” Amber handed the book to Krystal without looking at her. “I know this book is somewhat important to you, so I’m giving it back... and I’m sorry for getting from you...  so yeah... here.” Amber said and was still looking at the different direction.

Krystal gently gets the book on Amber’s hands. She immediately places the book on her chest and hugs it. “Thank you, Amber.” Krystal sincerely said at looks at Amber.

“Yeah, sure.” Amber let out a smile and started looking at the floor. Krystal suddenly gets her bag and searches for Amber’s pen, good thing Krystal bought her pencil case today. She remembers the words that she said to her brother that she will let her pride down and apologize to Amber. She then took a deep breath before talking to Amber.

“Yah.” Krystal looks at her and called her. Amber turns her head towards Krystal “Yes?” Krystal immediately turns her head away and stares at the floor. “This.” Krystal handed the pen to Amber “Am... I’m really sorry for what I did before... this is something important to you too... so here.” Amber smiled at Krystal and takes the pen. “Thank you, this really means a lot to me.” Amber said while her thumb gently touches the engrave letters on the pen.

Krystal saw Amber smiled, she knew that the pen was really important to her. “You know, this book belongs to my late brother.” Amber turns her head towards Krystal and began to listen to her story. “He saved my life when I was five years old. Our house was caught in a fire, I thought I was going to die but my brother come back just for me. He gave me this book...” Krystal gently caress the cover “... this is the book that we always read together. He gave me this for me not to be scared. I make it alive but he didn’t. This is the only memory that I got from him.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Amber saw the sadness in Krystal’s eyes. She saw the different side of Krystal. She saw that behind those cold aura and the piercing glares was a soft and gentle hearted Krystal.

“No, it’s okay Amber.” Krystal let out a smile. Amber looks at the pen she was holding. “This pen was a gift from my dad...” Krystal turns her head facing Amber “... this was his last gift for me. My dad was a very loving person. I was very close to him; because he pampers me a lot...” Amber smiled as she reminisces the moments with her dad. “Five days after my birthday, my dad and I went to the mall, he promised me that he will buy me a new guitar as my second birthday gift from him. We get into the cab and we drove to the mall, the driver didn’t know that there was a truck coming from the left approaching to our direction. My dad immediately changes our position and he hugged me. I was the only one who made it alive.”

“Oh. I’m sorry to hear that.” Krystal said.

“It’s okay. I guess these things are both important to us, huh?” Amber said and smiled.

“Yeah it is.” Krystal let out a chuckle. This time they are starting to open up with each other. The awkward atmosphere was starting to disappear in them.

“Well, why don’t we start over again?” Amber shifted her sitting position looking at Krystal and extends her hand. “Hi, I’m Amber Liu.” Krystal let out a chuckle and copied Amber’s sitting position. “I’m Krystal Jung. It was nice meeting you.” She takes Amber’s hand and shakes it.

“Yeah, it was nice meeting you too... inside this semi-dark library.” Amber joked

They both laugh and at this moment they knew that this is the start of their new friendship.