Chapter 35

Mystery Song

Amber left Minho at the hallway. She went to the bathroom and washes her face with lukewarm water. She stares at the reflection in front of her “You did the right thing, Amber. You did the right thing.” She closes her eyes and heavily sighed. She fixes herself and walks to the cafeteria ignoring the fact that they have an emergency meeting. Amber chooses to just ditch it.

She fishes some coins inside her pocket and put them inside the vending machine. As soon as the bottle appears below the machine, she immediately opens it and drinks the half it. A few meters from her friends table, she saw Minho sitting beside Krystal. She saw Krystal aiding Minho’s lips by putting a cold bottle at it. She was hurt by what she saw. She hides behind a post near them so that she can hear what they are talking about.

“Aigooo, look at you two, sweet as always.” Luna said like a fangirl.

“Yeah, you’re so sweet that ants are going here to bite you.” Jiyoung said joking.

Minho laugh at her friends while Krystal weakly smiled. “What happened to you?” Krystal asks.

“I uhm... I just bumped my lip onto something.” Minho said excused. Of course he can’t say that Amber punched him. Krystal just nodded, she seems not really interested but she is worried.

“So Minho, when will you let us hear you play?” Suzy asks.

Minho felt nervous. He doesn’t know what to say. He knew that ever since their friends discovered that he was the one playing at the music room, they are really insisting him to play. “Oh yeah, play us your piece Minho.” Krystal said and that made Minho look at her.

Amber who is currently eavesdropping the conversation chuckled and shakes her head. “Duh, he can’t play, only I can.” She pushes herself off the wall and began walking towards the exit. She decided just to kill the time at the rooftop where she can be alone.

“Uhm... Maybe next time.” Minho flashes his killer smile. Minho felt relieved when his friends didn’t insist him in doing so, especially Krystal.

“Hey guys, I’m going ahead. I have to go somewhere.” Suzy said while fixing her lunch box. She waved at her friends and walk towards the exit.

While the others are busy eating, Krystal turns her head on an empty space on their table which Amber usually sits. “I’m wondering where she is.” She mumbled.

 

Amber suddenly opens her eyes as she heard the doorknob clicks open. She tilted her head for her to see who the person might be, but she only saw a human arm holding a yellow lunchbox. The person is hiding behind the rooftop’s door. Amber chuckled because she knew who the owner of that lunchbox is.

“Come out there, Suzy!” she shouted and smiled as she saw Suzy approaching her direction.

“Here...” Suzy handed her container “I know you haven’t eaten...” Amber was about to refuse to offer but Suzy cut her “... and don’t you dare refuse it, because I made it myself.” Suzy glared at Amber

“Okay, okay. You win, I’ll eat these now.” Amber patted Suzy’s head which made the other girl smile “Thank you, Suzy.”

“You’re always welcome, Amber.”

 

After eating, Amber stood up and to look at the view in front of her and she leans her elbows at the edge of the wall. Suzy followed behind and do the same. They just stood there admiring the scenery in front of them. It was so peaceful and beautiful.

“Have you been in love, Suzy?” Amber asked.

Suzy chuckled “Why did you asked?”

“Nothing, I just wanted to know.” Amber shrugged.

“Hmm... Maybe? I don’t know. How about you, Amber?” Suzy throws the question to Amber.

“Maybe? I don’t know.” Amber copied and looks at Suzy and afterwards they both laugh together.

After the laughter died down, Suzy started the conversation. “Is there something bothering you?” She said worriedly. She can sense that the girl is not in a good mood.

Amber heavily sighed. “Yeah.”

“Would you like to share it? It’s okay if you don’t wanna talk about it.” Suzy said.

“I uhm... I just hope that I made the right decision. I’m torn between friendship and the one I love.” Amber opens the lid of the bottle and jugs all of it.

“What did you do?” Suzy asked.

“I chose friendship....” Amber paused for a little before continuing “...Coz I feel that, it’s the right thing.” Amber looked down and suddenly the wind blows at their direction making her hairstyle to ruin a little.

Suzy moves closer to Amber, she places her hand on Amber’s hair and gently finger combs it. “Is the person you love, loves you back?”

“Yeah, as a friend of course but not as you know... romantically.” Amber chuckled. Although she was acting strong to the girl, Suzy saw the sadness in her eyes.

Suzy nodded and looks at Amber’s side profile. “What if, the person likes you too?”

Amber shakes her head. “Now that’s impossible. That person already loves someone else and that’s my best friend.” 

Suzy suddenly grab a hold of Amber’s hair and slightly pull it, making the other girl winced in pain. “Yah! They are not yet married! You can go get the person you love. Fight for it Amber! Don’t just give up without a fight. I don’t want you to wake up one day and you notice that you should’ve tried. I don’t want you to regret it... and sorry about your hair.” She said releasing her hand and fixes her hair afterwards.

“It’s okay...” Amber said. “I know that he loves her more than I do, and besides I know that my best friend will take care of her because he is a good person. What is happening right now has a reason.”

“But sometimes, the reason is that you’re stupid and you make bad decisions.” Suzy said with an emphasis on ‘stupid’ and ‘bad decisions’ then looks away.

After hearing what Suzy said, Amber suddenly looked at her. She was about to open but nothing came out, she doesn’t know what to say because somehow Suzy has a point. “Well I’ll just pray that it is not a bad decision.” Amber said softly. She turns her gaze back to the view in front of them. Silence again envelops them, but after awhile Amber heard Suzy chuckled.

 “You know... It’s hard to see that the person you love, is in love someone else.” She said while fidgeting her fingers.

 Amber nodded “Yeah...”  She then looks at Suzy. “Hey you are in love! Why you didn’t tell me.” Amber pouted and Suzy just laugh and pinched Amber’s cheeks. “So... What did you do? Did you fight for it?”

Suzy shakes her head. “No.” Amber turns her body to the right to face Suzy. “Why not?”

Suzy turns her body to face Amber also. She moves closer to her and grabs Amber hands and gently caresses it. “Because... I have already lost the battle even though it didn’t start yet.” Then she looks up to see Amber’s face looking at her. They caught themselves staring at each other. No one dares to move an inch. They immediately broke the stare when the bell suddenly rings.

“We better go back, Suzy.” Amber said and withdraws her hand to Suzy. Amber walks ahead towards the door leaving Suzy behind. When Suzy heard the door closed, she looks at her hand and smiled.

 “I can never win your heart Amber, no matter how hard I try to fight for it. And I know she loves you too, that’s why I wanted you to keep fighting.”