Chapter 29

Mystery Song

Amber is the only one left in their house. Her mom went to work and Jackie went to her classmate’s house to do a project and will be staying there for the night. She hasn’t told them that she is sick because she didn’t want them to worry about her. Amber was awakened when she heard her phone ringing at the bedside table. She answers the phone without looking at the caller i.d.

“Hello?”

“Hi Amber, it’s Suzy.” Suzy said smiling at the other end of the line.

“Oh... Hi Suzy *cough* What’s up?”

Suzy felt worried when she heard Amber coughing. “Are you okay Amber?”

“Yep, I just have a cold *cough* don’t worry about me.” Amber said.

And with that, Suzy just hang up. Amber was waiting for Suzy’s reply but all she heard was the beeping sound indicating that Suzy just ended the call. Amber just shrugged it off; she just went back to her sleep. After 15 minutes, Amber heard someone ringing their doorbell. She let out a groan and push herself up to get to the door. She was surprised that when she opens the door Suzy was in front of her. She brought a bag with her and she looked at Amber with worried eyes.

“Suzy? What are you doing here?”

The next thing happened makes Amber surprised. Suzy immediately flew her arms around Amber. Amber’s body went rigid; she doesn’t know how to react in this situation. She felt that Suzy’s hands travelled upwards at Amber’s shoulder. The next thing happen made Amber blush.

“Amber...” Suzy softly whispered on Amber’s ear.

“Y-yes?” Amber stuttered as she felt the hot breath tingling on her ear.

Suzy used her right leg to kick the door close without breaking her hug to Amber. Suzy bit her lip as she heard Amber stuttered, this was the first time Suzy heard her stutter.

“You’re hot, Amber.” Suzy again whispered to Amber’s ear as her other hand moves upward to Amber’s nape.

“H-h-hot? M-me?!” Amber stuttered again.

“Yes Amber, you’re so hot.” Suzy emphasizes the words ‘so hot’ making Amber shiver a little. She giggled when she saw Amber’s ear is getting red. She thought that maybe Amber is thinking some y thoughts right now. She broke free from the hug and she saw Ambers face was blushing; she bit her lip in order to suppress her laughter.

She takes Amber’s hand and places it on Amber’s forehead. “See Amber, you’re hot.”

“Oh! Yeah... right.” Amber let an awkward laugh and scratches the back of her neck.

“Come on; let’s go to your room. You need to rest.” Suzy holds onto Amber’s hand, gets her bag and make their way upstairs. Suzy let Amber lie down comfortably on her bed and she gently tucks her in.

“Suzy, you don’t have to do this.”

“I wanted to, Amber. I’m your friend right?” She said while she sat beside Amber and gently caresses her hair. Amber just nodded and smiled.

Suzy was inside the bathroom when Amber’s phone rings again. This time it was Krystal. Krystal wanted to go to Amber’s house but Amber refuses. When Amber was about to protest, she heard that Krystal hangs up already. “She hung up too? Aish.” Amber mumbled.

“Who was that?” Suzy asked as she gets out of the bathroom.

“Oh... Krystal. I think she’s going here too.” Amber said as she places her phone on the bedside table. Suzy just hummed an answer. Suzy brought out a basin with warm water and a dry cloth. She motioned beside Amber and dipped the cloth into the water, twists it to let some water to come out and places the towel at Amber’s forehead. Amber just smiled at Suzy, she felt lucky having Suzy as her friend. Amber felt her eyes growing heavy and lets out a yawn. Suzy caresses Amber’s hair again. “Just sleep, Amber.” Amber replied a weak smile before she drifted off to dreamland. Suzy stared at Amber’s sleeping face. She looks at Amber’s plumped lips and she unconsciously her lips. Suzy gently leans in while looking only at Amber’s lips. There was only a small gap between their lips as she heard someone ringing the doorbell, but she ignored it. She sighed and repeats the action she did earlier, by the time that she will finally close the gap, the doorbell rang again. She silently groaned and went downstairs.

“I’m coming!” She shouted.

She opened the door and she saw Krystal’s surprised face in front of her. Suzy knew that she was coming.

“Suzy?”

“Hi Krystal, come inside.” She fully opened the door for Krystal for her to come in.

“What are you doing here?” Krystal as Suzy closes the door. Krystal thought that Amber was the only one inside their house.

“I’m taking care of Amber, how about you?”

“I.. uhm.. I heard that she is sick too... so I come over to check if she is fine.” Krystal reasoned out.

“Ohh, she’s on her room sleeping. Come on let’s go upstairs.” She pulled Krystal’s wrist as they went into Amber’s room.

When they reached Amber’s room, they saw that the girl was sleeping soundly. Krystal smiled as she saw Amber, when she was about to step forward to be able to have a good look on Amber, Suzy skips her way to Amber’s bed. She carefully changes the compress on Amber’s forehead. Krystal takes a step back. She didn’t know why but when she saw Suzy taking care of Amber, she felt like she was stung. She unconsciously places her hand on her chest.

When Suzy is done changing the compress, she went back to Krystal.

“I’m happy that you come over, so that I will never get bored when Amber is sleeping.” Suzy said.

Krystal just smiled. “So how is she?”

“I think she’s doing fine.” Suzy looks at Amber “She looks so cute and handsome even when she is sleeping.”

“Yeah, she is.” Krystal mumbled as she looks at Amber too.

“What did you say?” Suzy didn’t quite catch what Krystal said.

“W-what? N-nothing!” Krystal stuttered and Suzy just shrugged.

Krystal instantly thinks of an idea. “Hey Suzy. Why don’t you stay here, while I’ll cook something for Amber so that she will have some food when she wakes up?”

 “That’s a good idea Krys.” Suzy nodded.

Krystal headed downstairs and to the kitchen. She knew that her friend, Suzy doesn’t know to cook so it’s a good thing that she came over. She also wanted Amber to taste her cooking so that she will get better faster. Krystal cooked a chicken soup for Amber. She received a text message from Suzy that Amber is now awake, so she immediately gets a bowl and poured some soup in it. When she was about to lift the tray, she receives a call from her boyfriend.

“Hi Krystal!” Minho greeted.

“Hi there Minho”

“Hey, are you free today? Let’s go out! Remember that I promised to you that I’m taking you out after the game?”

“Oh yeah... I remember” Krystal facepalmed herself.

“So, are you free then?” Minho asked.

Krystal bit her lip, she remembered that she has a date with her boyfriend because they rarely have time for each other due to Minho’s soccer practices but on the other hand, she can’t leave Amber with Suzy. It’s not that she doesn’t trust her friend but she just let her. She took a deep breath before uttering a word.

“Minho, I’m sorry I can’t *cough* I... I’m not feeling well.” Krystal faked a cough. She crosses her fingers hoping that her boyfriend will believe her. “But if you wanted to I—“

“No, it’s okay. Our date can wait. Just take a rest; do you want me to come over?” Minho cut her, his voice was filled with worries.

“I have Jessica unnie taking care of me. I’m really sorry Minho.” Krystal was really feeling guilty about this.

“No, don’t be. Drink your meds and take some rest. I love you Krystal.”

“Okay.. I will. I... love you too.”

When she heard Minho hung up already. She let out a deep sigh. She was really feeling guilty about it. She gets the tray on the table and delivers it into Amber’s room. When she opened the door, she smiled as she saw Amber who was already awake sitting on her bed, leaning her back against the headboard but it immediately fade when she saw Suzy sitting beside her with her head leaning to Amber’s shoulder. The two seems very happy while watching something at the television.

She tightens the grip on the tray. She was regretting that she lied to Minho a while ago. She suddenly wanted to get out of Amber’s house. But all of her thoughts disappear when she saw Amber looks at her direction and smiled. That smile surely melted Krystal deep inside.

“Hi Krystal!” Amber said and waved.