Chapter 36

Mystery Song

“I thought you were going to stay longer there.” Amber stated as she saw Suzy walking down the stairs. Suzy was a bit surprised because she thought Amber wasn’t going to wait for her. “Come on, we better head to class before the bell rings.” She grabs Suzy’s hand and pulls her.

While walking towards the classroom, Suzy was constantly eyeing their intertwined hands while Amber was only thinking very deeply while staring at the floor. “Suzy! Amber!” The two was awakened from their trance when Luna suddenly shouted from behind causing them to bolt up and remove their hands together.

“Where did you guys go?” Luna asked.

“Uhm... We..” Amber was about to say something when she suddenly turn her head at the two people walking towards them. She saw Krystal putting some ice cubes on Minho’s swelling face. With Luna waiting for an answer, Suzy looks at Amber to see what she is looking. She sighed. “We are at the rooftop; you know to get some fresh air.” Suzy answered.

Suzy suddenly looks at Amber’s right hand; she noticed that her hand is reddish and a bit swelling. Minho stopped on his track which also makes Krystal stops too. Minho drapes her arm on Krystal’s shoulder and smiled at her. Krystal smiled back. When she turned her head, she caught Amber looking at her which made her almost drop the icepack on her hands. Amber kept on looking at Krystal when she didn’t notice that Suzy grabbed her right hand.

“Does it hurt Amber?” Suzy asked and carefully checks Amber’s hand.

“Yes... yes it hurts.” Amber said while looking at Krystal.

The bell rang and they immediately walk towards their classroom. Amber remained silent throughout the whole class period. Suzy and Krystal always keep glancing on her. They both wanted to talk to the girl but they can’t because the classes are still ongoing, so they waited until the teacher dismissed the class.

“Okay class, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Right after the teacher left the room; Amber immediately grabs her bag and walk towards the door. Krystal was about to chase her but Minho stops her.

“Do you have training today?” Minho asked and places her hands on her shoulders.

“Yes I have.” She shoved Minho’s hands but when she was about to run off, Minho grabs her arm.

“Hey are you in a hurry? I’ll walk you to the field.” Minho said as he grabs his things.

Krystal sighed because she just lost her sight on Amber. She just nodded and let Minho take her to her training.

Days passed and the relationship between Amber and Krystal is getting worse. Amber is starting to avoid Krystal all the time. She acted cold towards her. Whenever Krystal is around, she will always keep quiet. And during lunch she is always the one who finishes her food first and afterwards she will go to the rooftop or to somewhere quiet when she can be alone. She will only talk to Krystal if necessary. When Krystal is going to walk towards Amber, Amber will suddenly go to somewhere or will talk to someone else and that will cause Krystal to back away. Amber was doing these things in order to forget her feelings towards Krystal. While Amber is avoiding her all the time, Minho is continuing to make effort for Krystal by doing his boyfriend duties. Minho is always waiting for Krystal to finish her training and afterwards he will walk her home. Amber knew all this things because she kept on looking at them at a distance.

One fine afternoon, Amber decided not to watch Krystal on her training but to go straight to the Han River. She sat herself on her usual bench and looks at the beautiful sunset in front of her. On her left, she saw two ahjummas talking while looking at the couple in front of them.

“Look at those two girls being lovey-dovey.” The ahjumma pointed her finger at them. Amber hearing their conversation also looked at the direction of the ahjumma.

“Aish, kids nowadays are being so rebellious.” The other ahjumma said

“Look at them! What are their parents going to say?”

“I really don’t like seeing couples like that.”

Amber moves to the right for her to not anymore hear the conversation. She then looks at the girl couple in front of her. She sighed and smiled. She felt slightly envious because they have the guts to tell and show the world that they are in love with each other. Amber shakes her head “I wish I can do that also to Krystal, but this is Korea some people are really close minded about this thing.”  Amber thought. She got up and walks to the food stand to but some tteukbokki and eat on when she got home. While Amber was buying, Krystal sat on their usual bench.

“I thought I’m gonna see you here...” Krystal said as she places her hand on the empty space beside her. “Tomorrow is my competition, I wish for you to be there. It pisses me off because you’re avoiding me...” Krystal is on the verge of crying but she is doing her best not to let herself cry. Amber left as soon as the ahjumma handed the container to her. “... I miss you.” Krystal said breathlessly. Krystal suddenly looked at the direction of the food stand and looked back to the direction of the river.  

 

Today is Krystal’s Track and Field Competition. She is getting herself ready at the locker room when her friends come over and surprise her. She was looking for someone on her friends but she didn’t come over. She felt disappointed but she shakes that feeling off.

“Hey Krystal, are you getting to kick some ?” Jiyoung said

“Yah, of course. My legs are faster than you thought!” Krystal said confidently.

“Goodluck out there and do your best okay? Minho said and he kissed Krystal’s forehead. Krystal was taken aback. Her friends squealed especially Luna, as they saw the PDA between the two. Krystal just playfully punch Minho’s arm.

Krystal is getting ready at the field, while waiting for the other contestants; she looks at the bleachers and searches for her friends. She waved at them when they saw her looking, cheering her and shouting “fighting!” But then she felt disappointed on the second time because she didn’t saw any signs of Amber today. She sighed and get into the position as the referee started to lift the gun.

Amber is currently watching Krystal at the entrance door on the side of the bleachers. In this way she will got a better view of Krystal. As the referee fires the gun, Amber clasps her hands and silently praying that Krystal will come first. As she saw Krystal approaching towards the red ribbon she knew that her prayers had been answered already. She jumped and danced like a dork when Krystal won first place.

Amber immediately runs towards the vending machine to buy Krystal her favourite drink. She sneaked the drink inside Krystal’s locker. Krystal is heading to the locker room and she suddenly noticed that Amber came out of the locker room. She immediately opened her locker only to find an energy drink with a little sticky note attached to it. “You did a great job! Congrats.”  And with that, Krystal immediately chased Amber.

“Amber!” Krystal shouted.

Amber stopped on her tracks and turned around. She was surprised to find Krystal holding the drink.

“Thanks for coming, and for this.” Krystal lifted the bottle.

“I didn’t give that.” Amber said coldly which made Krystal infuriate a bit.

“Yah, what is your problem, Liu?!”

“What’s your problem, Jung?!” Amber retorted

“Why are you avoiding me huh?”

“Who said I’m avoiding you?” Amber turns her back to Krystal and started to walk away.

“Yah! If you take another step back...” Krystal is biting her lip in order to suppress her tears from falling. “...I’ll never talk to you again.”

Amber turned around in order for Krystal not to see her cry. She took a deep breath and continues to walk away from her. After Krystal seeing Amber walked away, she slumped on the floor crying her heart out. Amber on the other hand immediately runs towards the exit, when she get to the door she leaned her back on the door and sits down hugging her knees and buried her face in between. “I’m sorry... I’m so sorry.”

 

On the next day, Amber stayed on the room instead of having lunch. When she got herself all alone, she pulled out the two music sheets from her bag. It was the demo she made for Krystal. Unconsciously, tears fell from her eyes. She was thinking that she will never ever gonna play this song to Krystal. She got up; walks towards the trash bin and rend the music sheets into pieces. And afterwards she ran towards the rooftop and cry out all the feelings she have for Krystal.

Krystal returns to the classroom because she forgot her water tumbler to bring with her. When she was about to get out of the classroom, she noticed a certain paper lying on the ground near Amber’s desk. She walked towards it and picked it up. It was a music sheet. Amber didn’t know that when she was walking towards the bin, the other half of the paper flew away and the other one was torn into pieces.

 

“This is the song... but what is this doing here?” Krystal thought.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sorry for not updating lately. Prelim exams are over so I decided to post an update. Sorry for the wrong grammar and spelling. :)