Chapter 25

Mystery Song

As the days pass by, Amber just acted normal. She said to herself that she will never ever cry again after the night she cried her heart out to Jackie because of her love for Krystal. She realizes that it better that she didn’t confess to Krystal because she knew in the end they are just mere friends. She told to herself that if Krystal is happy with Minho, she is happy too. Amber knew Minho for many years now, and she is so sure that Minho is a good guy and will never hurt her. And it is obvious since the beginning that Minho really likes Krystal so much.

At first she wanted to run away, to not to go to class or be shifted to another section, even she wanted to transfer to another school. She wanted to bang her head hard into the wall to erase all the memory she had with Krystal. She wished that she had superpowers so that she will make Krystal invisible to her eyes. All of her planning about her confession just wasted away like that. She keeps on hitting her chest really hard because she is trying to get rid of the feeling that is causing her all this pain. “Stupid... stupid heart!” She wished that Krystal never came into her life. Amber wanted to do all this things but she knew that it was inevitable not to see Krystal everyday because they are in the same circle of friends.

Whenever the gang is together, she was trying to be okay all the time. She doesn’t want to let others worrying about her. She doesn’t want to let others know that every time she will see Minho and Krystal together she was dying deep inside, that she wished that it was her who is holding her hand and not him. Every day she was trying to be the dorky Amber they knew. Amber is trying to be not close around Krystal. When they are eating lunch at the cafeteria with her friends, she will take a seat far away from Krystal. And when Krystal is talking to her, she tries to make their conversation short or she will make an immediate excuse to leave the conversation like going to the bathroom, Jackie is calling her, she have to go home early, etc... And most of all, she is avoiding to make skinships with Krystal because she if she do, she will feel those weird feelings again that she is trying to remove.

She just adverts all of her attention to different things, like her studies and the incoming soccer competition. But sometimes, she unconsciously looks at Krystal. She finds herself staring at Krystal some time in a middle of a lecture. Krystal suddenly turns her head to Amber’s place and before Krystal will caught her staring at her, Amber immediately look away.

After the lecture ended, Amber starts doodling something on her notebook. She wasn’t aware that Krystal is heading towards her table.

“Wow, I don’t know that you are good at drawing things.” Krystal said.

Amber knew that voice very well. She looks up and finds that there are just a few inches away from her face and Krystal. Krystal was bending over, peeking at Amber’s drawing. Amber immediately pulls back and leans her back at the chair. Her heart was beating fast and all those weird feelings are starting to come alive again.

Krystal took the notebook with her and starts to browse some Amber’s doodles. “Amber, you’re really good!” Krystal praises her

Amber scratches her head and not looking at Krystal “T-thanks.” Amber felt her cheeks starting to feel hot; she knew she was blushing. She was thinking of an excuse and silently praying that Minho will call her so that Krystal will leave her. And it was like a snap of a finger, Minho called Krystal. Krystal closes the notebook and walks her way towards Minho. Amber let out a deep sigh, she felt relieved when Krystal left her but she felt sad also when she didn’t saw Krystal around her anymore. She put her hands in front of her face and let a silent groan.

 

It’s been days and Amber is praising her herself because she is doing a really good job distancing herself to Krystal. She admits to herself that she was missing the girl so badly but she needs to do this for herself to somewhat the feeling will completely fade.

It was the soccer team’s last training day. The coach is very happy to see all the improvements of his players. He thinks that his players are beyond ready to fight into the battlefield and claim the championship again.

Krystal’s practice ended earlier than the usual. So she immediately washes up and changes her clothes and went to the field to watch the soccer team play. It has been Krystal’s habit that she will give an energy drink to Amber every time whenever she will be the first one to finish before Amber. She opens her purse and put some coins inside the slot and pushes the button of Amber’s favourite drink.

When she arrived at the field she sits into the bench near the soccer team’s bags. She saw that the team is doing really good and she assumes that the team will get the trophy this year. Krystal’s eyes landed on Amber when she saw the girl running and kicking the ball. Amber passed the ball to Jonghyun, she bends down placing her hands on her knees and starts puffing air to her lungs. Amber suddenly glances to the certain girl sitting at the bench; she saw Krystal waving and gives two thumbs up. But Amber look behind him and saw Minho waving back at her, at the moment she thought that Krystal was waving at her but she was wrong. She just stands up and continues playing the game.

As the whistle blows, the whole team was dismissed. They all really play the game well. When Krystal saw that Amber and her friends are coming on her way she stands up and smiles. She stretches her arm holding the bottle on her hands and she waits for Amber to get it.

 “Is this for me?” Minho gets the bottle from Krystal’s hand, opens it and jugged it all the way. Krystal was a bit surprised by Minho’s sudden action; it was really for Amber not for him. She just nodded to her boyfriend because she doesn’t want him to feel bad, and besides he drank all of it already.

Krystal turns her head to her right and she saw Amber drinking water and wiping all of her sweat with a towel. When she saw that Amber was already packing her things, she walks towards the girl.

“Are you going home already?” Krystal asked.

Amber just nodded without looking at Krystal. She continues to pack her things and when she is already done, she swings her bag on her shoulders and bid goodbye to others.

“Let’s walk home?” Krystal said as she tugs Amber’s t-shirt.

Amber suddenly feels tense. Those weird feelings again are starting to appear again. She gently releases Krystal’s hands and said “I think someone will do that for you.”

Krystal pouted at Amber. Amber suddenly looks away because she knew she can’t resist Krystal’s pouting. Suddenly Minho came and wraps his arms around Krystal.

“Hey Amber, are you going home now?” Minho asked.

“Yeah.”

“Okay let’s walk together then.” Minho suggested. Amber was about to protest but it was late because her bestfriend is already dragging her. She looks at Krystal who seems to be happy at the moment and she stuck her tongue out to Amber.

The three are walking side by side; Krystal is on the middle of them. It was a silent walk. Amber put her earphones on to listen to some music for her not to become bored. She felt like she was the third wheel. She pretends to saw something on one of the shop so that the couple will be able to walk first. When she saw couple not bothering to look at her back, she catch up with them but this time she was walking ahead of them. She gives space to the couple in front of her.

They reached the intersection and Amber motioned to Krystal’s side. She wanted to hold Krystal’s hands but she remembered that she can’t do that anymore. The light turns green, Amber saw on the side of her eyes, that Krystal’s was reaching for her hand. She immediately put her hands on her pocket and walks ahead of the couple.

When they reached Krystal’s house, Amber bid goodbye to the couple and heads home already.