Chapter 31

Mystery Song

Amber woke up feeling a lot better than the other day. She looks at her left arm and smiles as she remembered Krystal changed her . After she was done doing all her usual morning rituals, she packs her stuffs and headed down for breakfast.

“Oh Amber, I was about to wake you up. There is someone who will join us for breakfast.” Mommy Liu said to Amber.

“Someone?” Amber scrunches her eye brows.

As she walks towards the kitchen, she saw Jackie eating her breakfast while talking at someone across her.

“Hey little llama!” Jackie said as she turns her head to Amber.

Amber looks at the direction to the person across Jackie. “Krystal?”

“Hi Amber!” Krystal said and patted the empty chair beside her.

Amber drops her bag at the couch and motioned to sit beside Krystal. “What are you doing here?”

“Yah llama, don’t be rude to her she came here very early, you know!” Jackie defended Krystal. “Krystal is just concerned to you.”

Amber felt guilty and looks at Krystal with apologetic eyes. “I’m sorry. I told you not to worry about me anymore. I don’t want to be a burden to everybody.” Amber said in a soft voice.

“It’s okay, Am. You are not a burden to me, so please don’t prevent me from taking care of you.” Krystal said as she looks Amber deeply into her eyes. Amber just nodded and smiled. She also caught herself looking at the other girl’s beautiful brown eyes. Their hands are slowly moving towards each other under the table.

“Who wants pancakes?!” Mommy Liu yelled as she brings a plate full of pancakes. The two suddenly bolted up and fix themselves. Jackie who saw the whole scene muffled a chuckle and shakes her head. ‘Aish these two lovebirds’ she thought.

Jackie is the first one who finishes eating her breakfast. She kissed Mommy Liu, ruffled Amber’s hair and waved goodbye at Krystal.

“Yah, I thought we are going to school together?” Amber yelled as she saw Jackie already on her way to the door.

“Oh, I forgot. I need to go to school early. I’m gonna meet Jessica and the others... so yeah.” She lied. She just wanted the two lovebirds to have a time for each other, and because she doesn’t want to look like a third wheel. Jackie knew that her sister has feelings for Krystal. Amber didn’t know that her sister is sometimes looking at them at the distance. Jackie also checks Amber during her practices and notices that she and Krystal are always together. They have this different look at each other’s eyes when they are together. She also knew that the song that Amber made was for Krystal. When Jackie is about to close the door she looks at Amber again “... And besides Krystal is here, you two can go to school together.” Jackie winked at Amber upon saying the last sentence.

The two girls walk their way to the bus stop. Krystal clings to Amber’s arm and she hasn’t let go of it since they step out of the house. Amber was fighting at her own feelings, although at this moment, for her everything seems so perfect. The conscience keeps hitting on Amber, telling her that what she is feeling right now is wrong. She belongs to Minho and not to you. Amber gently pulling her arm off to Krystal but the girl just tightens the grip. Amber sighed, and she just let the other girl do what she wants.

Amber seated beside the window and Krystal seated at Amber’s left. Amber advert her eyes into the window by looking at random things they pass by. Krystal notices the silent atmosphere so she starts a conversation.

“Does it still hurt?” She said while she lightly caress Amber’s arm.

Amber shakes her head. “Vic unnie said that I can remove the tomorrow.” She said not looking at Krystal.

“Do you want me to help you remove it?” Krystal asks looking at Amber.

“No, it’s okay. I’ll just go to Vic unnie.” Amber said. She saw the girl hung her head low and sadden a bit. She knows that the girl is just trying to help her. She doesn’t want Krystal to be sad so she just let Krystal do it.

“O-okay, I’ll let you do it.”

When Krystal heard it she immediately smiles. She was very happy that she accidentally tightens the grip harder on the arm, making the girl yelp in pain. “Ouch.”

“Oh my god. I’m so sorry Amber, I didn’t mean to—“

“It’s okay, Krys. I’m fine.” Amber cut her off

Krystal just nodded and just caress Amber’s left arm to ease the pain. She mentally curses herself for being too clumsy and not minding every move she make. 

The two walk their way towards the classroom. Krystal once again cling her arm to Amber, and the other girl just hangs her head low so that Krystal won’t be able to see her pinkish cheeks. Along the corridor, Krystal saw Minho and Krystal talking.

“Oh there they are!” Suzy said as she pointed Amber and Krystal approaching their direction

When Krystal saw Minho, immediately let go of her arm. When Amber suddenly feels that Krystal isn’t clinging to her anymore, she looks at her then at the two people who are standing in front of them. ‘Oh yes of course her boyfriend is here, Amber.’ She said to her mind.

“How are you feeling, Amber?” Suzy asks.

“I’m feeling okay now, thanks Suzy.”

Suzy walk towards Amber and grab her by the hand. “That’s good. Let’s go?” Amber just nodded and let Suzy drag her.

Krystal kept an eye on their hands. She suddenly felt a stung on her chest seeing Amber and Suzy’s intertwined fingers. She came back from her trance when she heard Minho cleared . Minho walks ahead Krystal while the girl just followed behind.

Minho is giving a cold treatment to Krystal and somehow Krystal felt it too. Because she knew everytime Minho will greet her every morning and will walk side by side towards the classroom, but today he was different. The class were having a break and Krystal took this chance to talk to Minho.

“Uhm.. Can we talk?” She asks.

“Sure, what is it?” Minho said not even bothering to look at Krystal.

“Let’s talk privately.” She sensed that something is wrong when Minho didn’t look at her.

The couple headed for some private talk at the rooftop. No one in the classroom saw them left together. Minho brought with him the paper bag which he was supposed to give Krystal later. Upon reaching the rooftop, there has been a silent atmosphere for a while. The two of them hasn’t opening up but they both knew that there is something wrong.

“Uhm... Is there something wrong Minho?” Krystal asks.

“What are you doing at Amber’s house?” Krystal was surprised because she didn’t expect that Minho will know about that she lied to him telling that she was sick. “Did you know that I’m so worried about you, that I even made you a soup for god’s sake?!” Krystal flinched as she saw Minho slams the paper bag on the floor making the container to broke and spilling all the soup on the floor. She was feeling scared and guilty at the same time. She is really feeling sorry to Minho for being a bad girlfriend to him.

“I... I’m s-sorry.”

Minho sighed as she saw Krystal was about to cry. He walks towards her and put her hands on her shoulders. “Look, I know that you’re just concerned about Amber because she is our friend, but Krys I’m your boyfriend.”

Krystal just nodded. She just keeps her head low. “Krystal, look at me.” Minho said but Krystal didn’t move an inch. “Baby, look at me.” Minho cupped Krystal’s cheeks gently forcing her to look at him. “Do you love me?”

Krystal widens her eyes; she was shocked by the sudden question. “I... I.. I do.” She stuttered. She was hesitant to say it at first but she knew that it was the right thing to say. Minho loves her very much. But she realized that she felt something wrong after she said that words.

“Then prove it.” Minho said not breaking their eye contact.

“H-how?”

“Kiss me.” Krystal was taken aback. She wanted to pull back but it was too late. Minho is already moving his face closer to her. And seconds later, she felt a pair of lips pressed against hers. Krystal just closes her eyes as Minho starts to move her lips. Minho was nibbling on Krystal’s lower lip hoping that the other girl will give a response but Krystal just couldn’t.

Suddenly they heard a loud thud coming from the door. Krystal notices a certain familiar pen rolling its way towards them. She recognizes that the owner of the pen was Amber. She looks at the person at the door and saw Amber staring at them. Krystal immediately pushes Minho away from her.

 

They didn’t knew that Amber is about to go to the rooftop too because she wanted to relax and write a song or something. She brought her pen and her notebook with her and headed to the rooftop. She was about to turn the knob when she heard a certain familiar voice that was yelling. She carefully turns the knob and pushes the door slightly open enough for her to peek. She saw and heard the whole conversation, Amber also felt guilty for letting Krystal stayed at her place.

She was about to close the door to give the couple a privacy but she stopped on her tracks as she heard Minho saying “Kiss me”

Amber felt like that she was being stabbed by thousands of knives right on her chest. She accidently drops her things making the couple recognize her presence. Amber although feeling that she just died inside, manages to put on a smile. She just made the situation a very awkward one.

“I uhh.. I didn’t mean to look... I just thought that no one will be here so... I... I’m sorry.” Amber let an awkward laugh and scratches her head. She immediately gets her things and leave. She run as fast as she could until she lacks out of breath. She was regretting why she went to the rooftop when she just can stay at the music room instead.

 

When Krystal saw that Amber had already disappeared, she wanted to chase and look for her but it seems that her body isn’t doing what she wanted. She wanted to tell Amber how sorry she was and that what she just saw was nothing. She wanted to tell Amber not to run away but she just kept quiet. She just stays there not moving and stared at Amber’s pen on the floor.

“No, Amber. No!!!” She mentally screamed and suddenly a tear fell on Krystal’s cheeks.