Chapter 24

Mystery Song

Amber seems to be not into herself now. It’s like she’s existing right now, but her soul was floating nowhere. She can’t feel anything except the pain coming from the little bruises on her face and her body. But she didn’t mind it at all, because the pain she was feeling right now throughout her body is nothing compared to the pain she was feeling in her heart. While having their practice awhile ago, Amber wasn’t in focus; she keeps on missing the ball to the goal. She didn’t even dodge every ball that was coming at her; she just let the ball hit her every time. The coach called her attention, and she quickly walk towards him. She was tasked to run 20 laps around the field and to clean up the training materials after they will finish the practice. Amber just nodded and started to run around the field. She doesn’t care. She doesn’t care if she was having a detention now; all she wanted to do now is to remove the picture of Krystal holding hands with his best friend inside her mind.

 

“Hmm, where would they be?” Amber mumbled as she look left and right around the cafeteria searching for her friends. She heard someone squeal not far from her, she knew that voice was Luna’s. She saw them having a commotion, Suzy and Jiyoung were smiling, Sulli and Yuri are jumping for Joy while Jonghyun was ruffling Minho’s hair. “They seem very happy at the moment” Amber thought. She wanted to join them so she happily jogged her way towards the table. But she stopped when she saw that Minho and Krystal are holding hands. She heard the gang cheered for the both of them.

“Congratulations Krystal! I’m so happy for you and Minho!” Jiyoung hugged her bestfriend

“Our Minho is really a man now!” Jonghyun playfully ruffled Minho’s hair, making Minho to slightly hit Jong’s stomach “Yah.”

“You two look good together, I envy you Krys.” Suzy said and chuckled.

“Don’t worry; someone will come for you Suzy.” Krystal said.

Amber was about to turn around but it seems that her both feet was being planted in the ground. She was in the process of absorbing things that just happened until Sulli called her. “Hyung!”

Amber came back to her trance, but remained unmoved. Suddenly, she felt someone wrapping her arms around her waist. She inhaled her strawberry scent that she was longing for. It felt so right at the moment. Amber was taken aback by the sudden interaction so she didn’t get the chance to hug the girl back. Amber felt sad as the girl slowly releases her arms and looks her in the eyes. Amber saw the girl smiling and it felt like her heart is melting right now.  

“Amber, remember the guy that I told you when we are at the library?” Krystal said as she starts to blush

Amber was silent at the moment, remembering their conversation back then. “Ohyeah, I remember.”

Krystal starts to giggle. She holds Amber’s hand and drags her towards the table near Minho. “I finally saw him, Amber.” Krystal releases Amber’s hands and snuggle herself to Minho. Minho places her arms around Krystal’s shoulders while Krystal places her hand around Minho’s waist. “It’s Minho, Amber. I finally found him.”

 

Amber runs as fast as she could around the field until she lost her balance and fell. She felt pain on her left knee. She stands up and swipes off the dust on her clothes before bending down to look at her bleeding knee. She walks to the infirmary to aid the wound on her knee.

“Hi Vic unnie.” Amber said as she saw the nurse reading a book.

“Oh Amber!” Victoria immediately noticed the bleeding knee of Amber. “Come here, let’s treat your wound.”

Amber and Victoria unnie are friends. Amber treats Victoria as her own big sister like Jackie. Amber lies down at the bed while Vic was cleaning her wound.

“I thought it was a big and deep wound.” Vic said. “The competition is fast approaching right?”

“Yeah.”

Victoria carefully places the gauze on Amber’s knee and seals it with a tape. “Yah you better do your best on the field, if you didn’t I won’t treat you food.”

Amber just nodded. “Thanks unnie, I’ll go now.”

Amber decided to when up again at the rooftop.  She looked down and saw her other teammates playing. She will just go down if they are all finished. “You’re one very lucky guy.” She said as she looks at Minho.

After she place all the equipments at the storage room, she went outside immediately because she doesn’t want to see Krystal who she assumes that she was waiting for Minho. When she was already outside the school, Amber didn’t want to go home yet. She just let her feet drag her wherever until she came to a stop. She looks around and notices that she was already at the Han River. All of the training and running made her hungry, so she walks to the ddeukbokki store and she was welcomed by a familiar ahjumma.

“I’ll have ddeukbokki please.” Amber impassively said.

The ahjumma smiles as she recognizes Amber “Oh hi, two orders?” The ajhumma was preparing to containers because she remembered that last time Amber was with a girl who she thought it was Amber’s girlfriend.

“Oh no... just... just one.” Amber bit her lip as she saw her tears are slowly forming up in her eyes.

“Oh... Okay then.” The ahjumma said and she gave Amber’s order. Amber was surprised as the ahjumma give her a bottle of milktea. “It’s free, kiddo. I hope it will make you feel better.” Amber felt that she was about to cry but she held her tears back and just bowed and thank the ahjumma.

It’s already dark when Amber finally reached home. She went straight to her room and changed her clothes. She saw that there was a light on Jackie’s door so she decided to knock her door.

“Come in!” As Amber heard her sister shouted. She immediately opens the door; she saw her sister was sitting on her bed reading a book.  She flopped beside her sister hugs her. “Am... Amber what’s going on?” Amber didn’t answer and she just tightens the hug. Not long after, Jackie heard her sister silently sobbing. She rubs Amber’s back to comfort her.

“Amber what’s wrong? Tell me.” Jackie worriedly asked.

“I was about to tell her Jackie, but I came too late... She has someone already.”

“Oh Amber.” Jackie tightens her hug at Amber. She never saw her sister this vulnerable. Amber is always strong but now she was crying.

“It’s okay, at least she is happy now and that’s okay with me.” Amber breaks free from the hug; she hung her head low not wanting her sister to see her with puffy eyes.

Jackie felt her sister’s pain, she once again bring Amber to her arms. “Amber come here, it’s okay to cry.”

And with that, Amber cried again but this time it was louder than before. “Why does it have to be this painful, Jackie?”

“Because you love and cared for her, Amber.”

“Please make this go away! I don’t like this Jackie; I don’t think I can bear this anymore. Please, Jackie please!” Jackie just stayed silent. She just hug Amber tightly at that time.