Chapter 4

Mystery Song

Author’s POV

Amber makes it alive outside the school. She thought that Krystal will catch her because she knew Krystal was a member of the school’s Track and Field. She is good in running. She began to slow down when she reached the intersection. She placed her both hands onto her knees as she began breathing heavily. “Phew. What an exercise!” Amber looks at the book that was in her hands “You have my pen, I have your book.  Now we’re equal.” She smiled and places the book carefully into her bag and takes out her small towel to wipe the sweat that was dripping from her forehead.

After a 3 minute walk, Amber finally reached her destination. She walks her way towards the small bench near a ddeukbokki stand along the Han River; onto her left is the Seoul Bridge that lights up at night. She closes her eyes for a while because she was tired of the workout she did earlier, she began listening to the sound of the water flowing at the Han river thinking that this may calm her mind and the inspiration will come to her, in order to continue her composition.

“Okay, I’m ready. Let’s try.” Amber brings out her notebook and a pen and begins to write. She was thinking the lyrics deeply, scratching her head and humming some tune but nothing seems to fit. She made a lot of erasures in her notebook and due to frustration her handwriting becomes worse and this also made her very annoyed. “What’s happening to me? I’m not like this before.” She becomes irritated and rips the page off on her notebook. Amber groaned in frustration. She lie down on the bench, her left hand placing at the back of her head while her right hand was playing with the pen twisting and turning it in between her fingers. She began to stare at the sunset colored sky. “What’s wrong with me, dad?”

Amber’s music influence was her dad. When she was little her dad was giving her a private one on one music lessons, neither her mother or Jackie knew about this. Usually before, Amber and her dad are the ones who are always left in the house, Jackie was enrolled in ballet class before and her mom was on her work, while her dad’s work is just based on their house. When they are alone, they will go to the basement where there was a small sound proofed studio that was built by her father. Amber easily learned how to play the guitar, piano and violin. Her dad wanted to become a musician, but because he was the first son, he becomes the heir of their family business. Amber’s dad wanted her to continue his unfulfilled dream. After her father died, Amber promised to her dad that she will fulfil his dream.

“I miss you dad. I hope you can hear all of my songs so that you will be proud of me.” She then took Krystal’s book out of her bag. “I know... I should apologize to her.” She chuckled. If her dad knew what she did to Krystal, for sure she will get a long sermon from her dad.

Amber looks at her wrist. “I guess, it’s time to go home now.”

 

---

“Hey Krystal!” Suzy enthusiastically shouted. As she saw Krystal walking at the corridor, she wasn’t aware of the cold aura that was enveloping Krystal.

“Go away.” Krystal said coldly towards Suzy.

“Hmm. I think someone is in a really bad mood right now.” She put her left arm over Krystal’s shoulder.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Krystal said without giving any emotions at all.

“Yah Jung Soo-Jung, stop that will you. You’re scaring people. Look at all the people, are just staying at the sides and not even bothers to walk near us.” Suzy said as she tries to bright up the mood of Krystal. “What’s the matter with you Krys?”

“That llama..” Krystal hissed.

“What llama? Where?” Suzy questioned. She tiptoed and search everywhere hoping that she will find a llama

“That llama took my book. And I’m gonna kill her.” Krystal slightly slams her right fist to her left hand.

“An animal took your book?! OMO. Don’t kill an animal Krys, and besides I like llamas.”

“Pabo! I’m not talking about an animal.” Krystal said to Suzy feeling slightly annoyed.

“But you said a llama-“

“I know Suzy.” Krystal cut her. “I’m talking about Amber Liu, she have my book, the one that I always brought with me.” Krystal explained to Suzy

“Ohh.” Suzy then went quiet and continue their walking; suddenly Suzy stopped and look at Krystal. “Wait. Amber is a llama?”

“Aissh Suzy you’re giving me a headache!” Krystal walks away from Suzy, leaving Suzy on her thinking state.

“Oh yeah, Amber really looks like a llama. That’s cute.” Suzy smiled at a sudden realization. “Hey Krystal wait for me!” She runs her way towards Krystal.

 

Upon reaching their house, Krystal was welcomed by her mother. “Hey, how was school today? Are you hungry?”

“Its fine mom, and nope not hungry. I need to take some rest mom. I had a really long day.” Krystal said to her mother and she makes her way to her bedroom. She threw her bag on the floor and flopped herself to bed. Krystal let out a sigh. She remembers that she have Amber’s pen, she removed it from her pocket and throw it to the trash bin, but the time she’ll gonna throw it she noticed that something was engraved onto the pen and she thought that this pen is somewhat important to Amber. She changed her mind, and put the pen carefully on her bedside table.

She flopped herself again to the bed with arms spread wide. That book was really important to her; it belongs to her late brother. Krystal was 5 years old back then when their house was caught in fire, she was asleep that time. All of her family members had escaped but Krystal was the only one left in the house. Good thing her brother was brave and come back for Krystal. Her brother wakes her up and suddenly Krystal felt scared because of the thick smoke that slowly entering her room. For Krystal not to be scared, her brother gives to her his book that they always read together. “Don’t be afraid Krystal, oppa will just give you a piggyback ,okay?” By the time they reached the door a wood fell in front of them causing Krystal to be afraid and cry. “It’s okay, I am here. Just close your eyes and cover your nose.” Krystal nodded although scared but somehow she felt at ease because of the assurance that her brother told her.

They make it through their front door, good thing a fireman spotted them and her brother handed Krystal to him to give her an immediate medication. Her brother was having difficulty in breathing and began to cough. Suddenly a piece of wood falls towards the head of Krystal’s brother.

“Oppa.”  Krystal sits on her bed leaning her back to the headboard. She grabs the small picture frame wherein her brother, Jessica and herself is at the picture. “I miss you, oppa.” Krystal gently forms a smile on her face and looks at Amber’s pen on her bedside table. “She started it, she threw me this!” She started talking at oppa’s picture. “Alright... I know it’s my fault too. I should let my pride down and apologize to her. That’s the right thing to do, right oppa?” Krystal smiled and let out a yawn. She gently lies down and went asleep hugging the small picture frame.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------

Here's another update! Again sorry for my grammar mistakes, I have no time editing it. Hehe. Anyways, will update soon.