Chapter 38

Mystery Song

Suzy heavily sighed before she turns the doorknob. She carefully opened the door and peek. And her guess was right; she knew Amber will be here. She was leaning against a chest-levelled wall with her elbows resting on its edge.

“Amber.”

Amber turned her head. “Hi Suzy.”

Suzy walks towards to the small bench and patted the empty space beside her. “Come here.” Suzy said and Amber obeyed. “I have something to give you.”

“Oh yeah? What is it?” Amber said uninterestedly. Suzy handed the folded paper to Amber. Amber was surprised when she saw the paper had been fixed all together. She looked at Suzy. She wanted to say something to her but it seems nothing came out.

“I know this belongs to you. That’s why I’m giving this back.” Suzy softly spoke.

Amber looked away and brushes off the paper on Suzy’s hand making it landed on the floor. “I don’t need that anymore.” Amber said coldly.

Suzy picked up the paper and stood in front of Amber. “YAH! Look at me!” Amber looked up and suddenly she felt a stinging pain on her left cheek. Suzy just slapped her.

“What the-“

“Yah. Don’t you know that I’ve put a lot of ing effort just to make that sheet of paper damn whole again?!” Suzy said in one breath. She felt her heart is going to explode. Her hand was still in the air and she also felt some pain on her palms.

“I didn’t tell you to do it, Suzy!” Amber stood up facing Suzy while holding her left cheek.

“But I wanted to, Amber...” Suzy looked away because she doesn’t want Amber to see her cry. “I... I knew everything.”

Amber softened when she saw a tear falling down on Suzy’s cheeks. “Suzy... I’m...” She moves closer and put her hand on her cheek to wipe the lone tear but Suzy gently swatted Amber’s hands.

“I knew everything, Amber. I knew from the start that you’re the one playing at the music room.” Suzy wiped her tears and motioned to sit on the bench. Amber sat beside her afterwards. “Did you know that, I started liking you since 4th grade. A bunch of bullies back then stole my lunch, then you come and saw me crying under the tree near the field.”

 Amber squinted her eyes like she’s trying to remember something. “It was the same tree where I saw you sleeping back then.” Amber’s mouth made an O-shape and nodded. “You gave the half of your lunch to me, and because I’m hungry I ate them all.” Suzy chuckled to the memory. “That’s why whenever I’ll see you skipping lunch; I always give you some food.”

Amber smiled but she remained silent. “Krystal, Jiyoung and I are best buddies since the 1st grade. Our families are so close that’s why we became super close too. But I never told them that I like you before. I also knew that you are into music. Years ago I used to follow you to the music room and I always listen to your music from outside...” Suzy pauses a bit. She let out a sigh. “Then... one day, Krystal came running to us because she said that she just heard someone playing inside the music room, and then she stomped her feet and messed her hair because when she will open the door...” Suzy turned her head to Amber. “You ran away.”

Amber slightly nodded. “Yeah. I always ran away, coz I’m afraid that someone might see me playing. I don’t want to get caught.”

“You know, there are lots of times that I attempted to open that door. I always question myself that if I open this door, will you escape from me just like what you did to Krystal?” Amber hung her head low and Suzy weakly smiled. “But I didn’t. I didn’t dare to open that door. Eventhough I had first known you to be the mystery guy, I still didn’t open that damn door!” Suzy was biting her lip in order to prevent her tears from falling down. Amber places her hands on top of Suzy’s giving it a gentle squeeze.

“But Krystal did, she dares to open that door, Amber. Eventhough you are always running away from her all the time, she didn’t give up. Because I know how much she loves you.” Suzy released her hand and she places it on top of Amber’s hand and gives a little squeeze too. Amber looks at their hands then to Suzy. “So... don’t be a coward like me. Go and tell her how much you love her. Don’t give up easily, Amber.” Suzy handed the music sheet to Amber. Amber takes it and smiled. “I know you love music very much, so don’t stop doing your passion.”

Amber silently cries upon hearing Suzy’s words. “You’re a very, very nice person Suzy. I wished I knew all along. I wished I can love you back the way you love me... but I can’t” Amber hung her head low crying. Suzy places her hand on Amber’s cheeks and wipes away her tears. Suzy was surprised when Amber places her hands above her. “Thank you. Thank you for all of this for giving me this paper, for always being there for me, for being my friend, and for loving me.” Suzy nodded and smiled. “I really wished that I can love you back for you to not be able to experience all this kind of hurtful feelings... I’m really really sorry because I can’t.” Amber closes her eyes and cry. She tightens the squeeze on Suzy’s hand on her cheek.

“I know, Amber. It’s okay, I understand.” Suzy said softly while she caressed Amber’s hair using her other hand.

“I hope that someday, you’ll find the right one for you.” Amber said and smiled. Suzy nodded and pulls Amber for a hug.

Suzy released herself from the hug and chuckled. “Aigoo. Look at you, crying never suits you. It ruined your handsome face; you’re more like a girl now you know.” Suzy teased and that makes Amber laugh. “I think you have to go now. Don’t forget to tell her how you feel okay?” Amber stands up and salutes to Suzy. “Yes, Ma’am!”

Amber runs off, but before she opened the door she went back to Suzy and hugged her again. Suzy smiled and ruffles Amber’s hair.

Suzy watched as Amber run downstairs. She didn’t feel any guilt now. She felt happier than before.

 

 

Minho waited for Krystal at the entrance of the cafeteria. He was walking back and forth like he doesn’t know what to do. He stopped when she saw Krystal approaching his direction.

“Minho, what are you doing here? I thought you’re inside.” Krystal said.

“Uhm. Can we talk for a while?” Minho asked.

“Okay. Sure.”

They walk into the hallway wherein there were no students around so that no one can hear their conversation.

“So what is it?” Krystal asked.

“I uhm...” Minho doesn’t know what to say at first. He was having a hard time to formulate a sentence.

“Oh yeah before I forgot...” Krystal took something from her pocket. “I saw this lying on the classroom, and I think this belongs to you.” Krystal showed the other page of the music sheet to Minho.

Minho took the paper on his hand. He suddenly remembered what Suzy said to her. “If you have still a heart, you’ll gonna do the right thing. I still believe in you, Minho. Think about it.”

“Minho, are you okay? Is there something wrong?” Krystal asked him.

Minho was awaken from his trance. He looks at Krystal and he felt something on his chest, something he wanted to tell a long time ago. “Yes, Krystal. There is something wrong.” Minho gulped.

“W-what is it?”

“This paper doesn’t belong to me.” Minho handed the paper back to Krystal.

“B-but Minho this is your song.” Krystal is starting to get confused.

Minho let out a sigh before speaking to Krystal. He looks deeply in her eyes. “I’m not the mystery guy, Krystal.”

 

 

Before Amber will go talk to Krystal, she first stayed at the music room. She missed this place so much. She opened the cover of the piano and placed the paper that Suzy gave her on the stand. She let her fingertips to touch the black and white keys before pressing them.

Amber happily sighed as she begins to press the right keys together. It has been a long time since she last played this song. Her song for Krystal. But then she stopped halfway because the second page is currently missing.

“I think you need this.”

Amber startled as she heard a voice coming from the door. It sounded very familiar to her. Her eyes widened as she saw Krystal walking towards her holding the second page of the music sheet.

“H-how did you—“

“How did I get this? I saw this lying on the ground almost near your table.” When Krystal noticed that Amber doesn’t respond, she cleared and said “I think you have some explanation to do.” Krystal gave Amber a glare.

Amber scratches the back of her head. She was scared Krystal’s glare that her hands are becoming sweaty. “About that, I’m—“

“You’re the mystery guy that I’ve been looking for, and then you let that frog stole your demo that you made just for me. Then you told him that it’s okay! It’s okay just to get that song from you! He didn’t even know how to press these damn ing keys!” Krystal literally slammed her fingers to the piano causing it to create disturbing sounds. “Good thing that frog friend of yours told me the whole story!”

Amber hung her head low. “I’m so sorry Krystal, really I am.”

“Do you know what’s wrong with you? You’re too nice Amber. This time think about you’re happiness okay?” Seeing Amber like that makes Krystal softens a bit.

“I’m truly sorry Krystal, for always running away, for not telling you the truth and for being a coward... I’m sorry if I didn’t tell you how I feel about you. C-can you forgive me?”

“On one condition.” Krystal thought of an idea. “Play the song for me.”

Amber smiled and she guided Krystal towards the piano. Krystal places the other paper on the stand beside the other. Amber looks at Krystal and said “You know, I planned this a long time ago that I’ll bring you here and I’ll play the song. And after that, I’ll confess my love for you.” Krystal blushed upon hearing what Amber said.

While Amber is playing the song and Krystal was so immersed to Amber’s playing, little they knew that the door is opened and there are two people outside looking at them.

“What happened on your both cheeks?” Suzy asked Minho as she looks at Minho’s face.

“Oh this, Krystal did it.” Minho chuckled. “I know, I deserved it.”

“I was right. You still have a heart.... What did you do?”

“I told her the whole thing. At first she was really mad, but afterwards she thanked me for telling the whole truth.” Minho said while gently massaging his cheeks.

Suzy let out a sigh. “Yeah, Krystal is like that. Just look at them, they are so cute together!” Suzy said like a fangirl. “We both did a great job huh?”

Minho smiled. “Hell yeah. Hey, do you want to grab something? I didn’t eat lunch yet, I’ll treat you.”

“Really? Okay let’s go then, let’s leave these two lovebirds alone.” And that, Suzy gently closed the door. While walking the back of their hands are slightly brushing each other. Minho suddenly held Suzy’s hand, and he was surprised when Suzy intertwined their fingers together.

“You know what, I always find you cute.” Minho said and Suzy blushed. “No time for sweet talking, you need to buy me food!” Suzy commanded and Minho smiled. The two ran towards the cafeteria with their hands still together.

 

 

“Amber hurry up, I’m hungry!” Krystal shouted.

“Alright I’m coming!” Amber shouted back.

“Aigoo! Your friend is really hungry.” The ahjumma said while preparing their food.

Amber smiled “That’s my girlfriend ahjumma.”

The ahjumma was surprised. “Really?! I know you two are going to end up together!” The ahjumma handed the food container to Amber. When Amber is starting to walk away, the ahjumma called her just to give them two free drinks. Amber was going to refuse at first but the ahjumma insisted so she just accepted it and thanked her.

“What took you so long? I’m starving” Krystal pouted asked Amber.

“Ahjumma gave me this.” Amber showed the two bottles. “Aish, what kind of stomach do you have?”

Krystal playfully punched Amber’s arm. “Just come here sit beside me!” Amber obeyed but first she took off her jacket and places it on Krystal’s shoulder. Krystal looks at her watch and noticed what time is it.

“Omg! Amber it’s about to start.” Krystal moves closer to Amber while Amber places her arms around Krystal’s shoulder.

“Okay I’ll do the countdown.” Amber said. “5... 4... 3... 2 – mppph!” Krystal captured Amber’s lips. At first Amber was taken aback but later on she closes her eyes and savor the moment. Krystal pulled back and places her hand on Amber’s cheek.

“Don’t you ever run away from me again.” Krystal caressed Amber’s cheek by using her thumb.

Amber moves closer and plants a soft kiss on Krystal’s forehead. “I won’t princess; I will always be here with you. I love you.” Amber said as she leaned her forehead to her.

“I love you too, Amber.” Krystal close the distance again and they share another meaningful kiss.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So this is it! I hope you guys like the ending. I just want to say thank you to those people who read my very first fanfic and for patiently waiting for my updates. Thank you to all subscribers, for the upvotes and the comments. It really means a lot to me. And sorry for many gramatical mistakes. Mehe. Im planning to write another one and I hope you guys to check it out. Hehe. So yeah. Thank you again! Saranghae! <3

 

-- AlexJustine =)