Epilogue 2.0: Hanbin Can Handle a Little Competition

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I like noona.”

Hanbin peered over the opened refrigerator door, halting in his search for some leftover food. He’s been gone for far too long and anyone would miss home cooked food even if scraps were the only things left.

“Why are you telling me that for?” He goes back to his previous task.

“I like Jiwoo noona.”

Again, Hanbin’s hands freeze. He straightens up and closes the door to look at the kid standing before him. The same kid who has shot up to the sky once he hit puberty. Hanbin has no doubt that within a year, he may just have to tilt his head back in order to look up at Chanwoo.

“What did you say?”

Chanwoo doesn’t hesitate and repeats his previous words. “Jiwoo noona, I like her.”

Their strange conversation is slightly interrupted by coughing in the background. The two briefly look over at Jibin who was sitting at the table with a cup of water in his hands.

“You made me spit up my drink.” Jibin says in between his coughing. “God, that went up my nose.”

Hanbin diverts his attention back on Chanwoo. “Who is this ‘Jiwoo noona’? It better not be my Jiwoo.”

“It’s the one you’re dating.” Chanwoo answers back casually.

“You know no fear.” Jibin watches from the side.

His comment goes unnoticed by Chanwoo who had his eyes on the older boy before him.

“You’re no competition. You’re fourteen.” Hanbin broke the news to him.

Again, Chanwoo doesn’t react. “Noona is also home on break, right?”

“That’s none of your business.” Hanbin retorts.

***

“Don’t open the door for any reason.”

“Why?” What is Hanbin up to now?

“Just don’t.”

“Hanbin, what is it now? Did you cause trouble?” I sighed tiredly. First day back home and my break already seemed to end before it could even begin. “Those days of me fixing are no longer – I retired.” I added.

“You love me, right?”

Lying on my bed, the question causes my eyes to snap open. “Excuse me?”

“Our love wouldn’t change for anything, right?” 

“Are you feeding me drama lines? Is this a new game?” I sat up, slightly excited. “Okay, is it my turn?” I hummed while thinking. “Oh, I got a good one – our love is one that is as permanent as –“

“Jiwoo.”

“What? Don’t interrupt me in the middle.” I chided him.

I hear him sigh on the line. “Just stay away from fourteen year old kids.” At the end of his order, the call ended abruptly.

I looked down at the phone. What is his problem?

“Jiwoo!”

“Yes?” I called out, hearing Jiyoon call for me from below the stairs.

“Are you ready? We’re leaving!”

***

My short break consisted of spending time with my sisters and the occasional visits from Hanbin. And again, he would bring up that vague warning – 

Stay away from fourteen year olds.

How dangerous have young kids gotten that big ol’ bad Hanbin is worried about them?

“Long time no see.” Donghyuk greeted Hanbin and I.

That’s right. Since we all went off to different Universities, we haven’t been able to see each other often. And when I met up with them – I understood why I should have been grateful for the time apart. 

Few seconds in, Hanbin and Mino manages to argue about something. 

Peace and quiet is unattainable when they’re around.

Donghyuk and Sanghee have gotten mushier while they were away. And this may feel like a mistake to say but I rather spend my time next to Bobby, Jinhwan, and the rest of Mino’s gang. They seemed somewhat more chill.

Yeah, it was strange to even think that.

Chill and these people never go in the same sentence. Ever.

“How have you been, Jiwoo?”

I looked up and met Bobby’s eyes. “I’m fine – have you taken over your University as the new leader yet?” With that kind of diabolical planning, I thought he would have overthrown the dean mercilessly. 

And if you thought he wouldn’t be capable – you’re very mistaken.

He chuckled. “Your manner of speaking has yet to change.”

“It’s my charm – it’ll be shame to lose it.” I retorted. 

“And in response to your question – no, the dean hasn’t done anything wrong yet.” He offered me a pressed smile and I softly scoffed.

“We’re here.” Sanghee announces cheerfully.

I looked up at the sign and doesn’t it bring back memories. “Karaoke.”

Once getting the hangout started, the differences are immediately set aside like they didn’t exist to begin with and everyone is jolly with one another – like best friends, if you needed to create a mental image. It’s amazing what singing lyrics on a screen can do to relationships.

“Are you tired?” Hanbin would check up on me from time to time before getting dragged off by one of the boys to sing the next song. 

He was the one that should be tired. All I’m doing is sitting here beside the lovey dovey couple that can’t seem to keep their hands off of each other.

“You two, seriously. Have you forgotten that other people exist in this room?” 

I had to ask.

I had to say it.

I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Is that jealousy talking?” Sanghee teased me. “If you wanted Hanbin to coddle you, just say so. I’m sure he would.”

“Coddle?” What does that word even mean? “What the hell are you talking about?” I mumbled as she went back to exerting excessive public display of affection.

See. She’s doing it on purpose now.

I turned back to see the scene occurring before me and suddenly, I was able to forget Sanghee’s sick-inducing scene with Donghyuk. Like it has always been – if they were happy, I was happy. Gathering the group once more, we decided it was time to head home. There were a few more days of break and we could always meet up again. Walking beside Hanbin, we made our way down the sidewalk.

“You know what Mino told me?”

“What?” I responded.

“He says Woochan has been real obsessed with him.” Hanbin laughed as he shared the news.

“He’s not giving in, huh?” I smiled at the thought.

“Nope. I think he’s enjoying the fact that their positions have switched.” He continued. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter