Chapter 36: Sweet Revelation

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re late.”

Well, the weekend came quicker than expected and here I am, standing in the court with Hanbin, who was dressed in his joggers. He was holding the ball at his hip, in his little scolding pose. 

Something I feel like I should be getting used to since he was going through this temporary responsible phase…at least, I think it’s temporary. But, if it isn’t, there wasn’t anything to complain about. Being responsible means less fights and less fights means less things I need to ‘fix’.

“I’m here, aren’t I?” I retorted. “Why did I need to come? Do I critique or –“

“You’re the ball-girl.” 

Excuse me. “You had me come out on this cold day so I would run and get your rebounds?” Are you kidding me?

“Exactly.” He answers before turning around to go back to the hoop. The park was empty besides us because who would actually come out on such a chilly day? Only crazy people. I made sure to bundle up before I left and the wind was still sending my body shivering.

I followed after him, standing beside the hoop to catch the basketball. “It is absolutely freezing, Hanbin. Did you not check the weather?” If he doesn’t care about his body, he should have thought of me – 

Caught myself there. That wasn’t ever happening.

“Hold this for me.” 

As soon as those words left his lips, he tossed something over my head. Pulling it off and fixing my hair, I find Hanbin’s jacket in my hand. 

I looked back up at him, speechless.

“It’s only going to get in the way.” He reasoned and after hesitating, I silently slipped my good arm through his jacket while securing the other side on my shoulder. I looked at Hanbin suspiciously while he focused his attention elsewhere. Would this be considered one of Hanbin’s rare acts of kindness?

Wait a minute. It’s actually the cure to his guilt.

“Okay, first things first.” I stopped him before he could begin. “My arm is feeling a little sensitive.” After falling down the stairs the other day, thanks to him. “So, let’s try to avoid my arm.”

“Fine.” He quickly agreed as he started to dribble the basketball. 

***

God, if I knew it was this tiring, I would have never agreed. The fact that I could only use one arm probably was one of the reasons why I got tired so quickly and the other being, I was simply unfit. Panting, I took a seat on the ground at the sideline. No good. I’m no good at sports.

Even as sweat continued to drip down his forehead, it didn’t look like Hanbin was going to take a break anytime soon. One after another, in every direction, the ball kept going through the hoop.

“Well, this is no fun.” I comment while watching him. “You’re getting all the shots in.” I couldn’t even to pass the time.

“What are you doing sitting there?” Hanbin caught his own rebound. His face wrinkled due to the fatigue. “You’re supposed to be the ball-girl.”

My own face wrinkled in dislike. I barely caught my breath and he wanted me to get up. “Hanbin, don’t you want to take a break?”

“Don’t need one.” He goes back to bouncing the ball and gets into position for another shot. 

Is he not human? “You’re practicing a whole lot just for a school festival.” God, wasn’t this all just recreational? It’s not like we win anything good…at least I don’t think so. 

Wait, were we getting something good? I perked up at the thought.

“Mino is on the other team.”

…That explains a lot. That boy was just the driving force for Hanbin in everything it seems. Hanbin jumps as he takes a shot and once again, it goes in. The ball bounces away and he runs after it to pick it up. Lifting the ball with his hands, Hanbin slowly straightens up at the sight he was met with at the entrance of the court. 

What was he looking at?

I followed his line of vision and my eyes widened at the sight. “This is bad.” I immediately jump to my feet without wasting another second. There, coming closer to the courts was three of Zico’s boys.Yes, the same person that told us to avoid him and his little group like the plague. I closed my eyes, cursing silently to myself as the situation began to sink in. Well, at least I know whom to blame.

“What a coincidence.” One of Zico’s boys smiled widely.

“You come around this neighborhood, U-Kwon?” Hanbin remained casual as he asked the question. Predictably more relaxed than I was at the current moment.

“Did anyone say we couldn’t?” Another boy responds.

“I don’t remember ever hearing something like that, B-Bomb.” U-Kwon jokingly replies. “What about you, P.O?”

The taller boy shrugged his shoulders. “Would anyone even dare to say anything like that?”

U-Kwon laughs. “I guess not.”

To be honest, what was he laughing about? There was no joke said…and even if a joke was said, it wasn’t funny. They continue to walk closer and I immediately think of ways to escape. It was like routine and my body and mind habitually knew what it needed to do.

“God, you guys are annoying.” Hanbin carelessly responds and that quickly wipes the smile off of U-Kwon’s face.

I wish I could keep Hanbin’s mouth shut during times like this. I hurried forward and grabbed his arm. Something I actually had to think about before doing because I wasn’t used to taking care of someone besides Sanghee and myself.

“Give me a second, I’ll handle them easily.” He quietly said to me but I only held on, preventing him from going forward.

“Remember what I told you?” I warned him specifically that I wasn’t going to help him if he caused trouble with them.

Hanbin pressed his lips together before whispering down to me. “Then, what do we do?”

“I’ve been following this method for years.” I said calmly while I pulled Hanbin to walk backwards before the boys could reach us. “Run.” I sprinted away first while Hanbin hesitated before following after me.

“Catch them.” U-Kwon said as he and his boys rushed forward.

Barely starting, my shoulder and arm began to hurt from the jostling due to my sudden running. “Not now, not now…” I mumbled to myself. You can hurt afterwards. Ignoring the slight pain, I tried to only think of running and getting away.

Hanbin and I made it down the neighborhood and Hanbin tugged my sleeve, silently telling me to follow him down another street. I kept up pretty well and Hanbin was good with making sure I was behind him but my injury kept getting in the way and before I knew it, not a sight of Hanbin was to be found. I fell behind. My running slowed to a jog as my head flipped back and forth, hoping to catch a single view of him and also possibly for a hiding spot.

I turned back and at that same moment, my body bumps into something that sends a shock of pain up my arm and my body bouncing backwards. I steadied myself and looked up.

I didn’t even hear them.

“Looks like someone got separated.” U-Kwon walk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter