Chapter 40: There Goes Another Layer

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is after school and that means, the project to continue the festival’s stands continue on.

And one repeating mantra has been visiting my mind every minute I was standing here was, just finish this week and the next, you can do it. These were the words that were getting me through all of this. I really hoped Sanghee’s positivity was contagious cause I sure wished it was something I could catch. It would make everything a whole lot easier.

“Just a bit more, Jiwoo.” Sanghee sends me a smile. “One more hour and we can all go home. Don’t be so weak.”

Sympathy – not really there.

Taking a short break, my mind started to do it’s usual wandering. Specifically, always wandering into subjects that weren’t a part of my business but regardless, it happens. I wonder if the boys from earlier today are still bothering Hanbin. I’m not concerned for Hanbin – don’t be mistaken – Hanbin can take care of himself.

I was concerned for myself – what if they look for me?

I am an easier person compared to Hanbin. A body that lacked muscle, looked like she can be pushed around, and with a healing dislocated shoulder. Yeah, just call me ‘easy target’ because that’s what I am.

Since the hallway had been so quiet the last few hours, the sudden tappings of footsteps coming down the hallway towards our room sent everyone’s head facing the doorway to see what was going on. That’s when Donghyuk came to a sliding stop while grabbing the doorframe to stabilize himself.

“Donghyuk?” Sanghee greeted him while he panted. “What’s going on?”

Though, Sanghee was the one that was asking, Donghyuk’s eyes landed on me. “Jiwoo, big trouble.”

Big trouble again? Those are the words that I will begin to associate with a single person. There could only be one person that comes to mind in these types of situations where I’m always needed. 

“Are you sure you can’t handle it?” I mumbled tiredly. Maybe I could push this off to him.

“Jiwoo, please.”

I sighed while he urged me to follow after him. Donghyuk and I matched a quick pace and arrived in front of the locker room quite speedy. Only because Donghyuk wouldn’t accept anything under a light jog.

Now, how did I know this was the men’s locker room? Well because, barely dressed boys were standing in front of it, curiously leaning up against the closed entrance. They were listening into what was happening inside but not bothering to do anything to stop whatever it was. I tried to look for Bobby and Jinhwan among the small group but they weren’t there – so they could only be present inside. The loud noises coming through the door immediately made me hesitate. Though, the boys did make room for me to get close to the door – I’m glad my identity as the fixer wasn’t questioned.

“Jiwoo, what are you waiting for?” Donghyuk asked me in panic.

“You know, Donghyuk…I don’t think the boys would appreciate me coming in –“

“They’ll forgive you.” Donghyuk immediately opens the door and drags me inside with him. 

With a held breath, I entered through and awaited the situation. If I see any butts, know that I will wipe my memories clean. Not something I want to remember. My eyes catch sight of a few boys who again, aren’t fully dressed – but at least their bottoms are covered.

Hanbin was angrily going after the boys in front of him while Bobby and Jinhwan were trying hard to hold him back. The same goes for the three boys on the opposite side. The same three boys that were trying to steal Hanbin’s shoes earlier today.

Do I have magical powers or do I just predict trouble well?

My appearance didn’t seem to be noticed by either boy who was trying to get their hands on each other.

“Hanbin.” I called out but my voice seemed to be nothing in comparison to their constant yelling. “Hanbin!”

Suddenly, everyone’s heads snapped around to look at me. “What the hell are you doing in here?” Hanbin shot back. “This is the men’s –“

“Yeah, I saw the sign.” I interrupted him before focusing back to the situation at hand. “Now…let’s all take a deep breath.” Everyone in here needs to relax.

“Why are you here again? Didn’t you already have your fun ruining everything earlier today?” The other student glared at me.

What is with the sudden attacking words? “Honestly, that’s not my kind of fun…” I casually stated. “But, your kind of fun has been causing a lot of problems.” I always seem to have to state the obvious around these people – it’s like they don’t see it themselves…which is a huge mystery to me as to why they can’t.

But, that is not the focus here. I’m not here to scold the little children, I’m just here to prevent Hanbin from physically doing anything that wouldn’t make his little cousin proud.

“So, what?” He snapped at me.

…Something tells me he knows how to hold grudges.

This time, I turned to look at Hanbin as I directed my statement at him. “Don’t you dare hit him.” Hanbin, in turn, remained quiet and my eyes moved back to the other boy. “If you touch Hanbin, I will notify one of the teachers right away…and we both know you don’t want to get into trouble.” I begin to appeal to the boy. “The process is tiring…parents are going to be called…suspension…you don’t want any of that.” I spoke in a tone as if I was speaking to a child. 

Because! They are all children! I am convinced seeing how they can’t even keep their emotions under control.

The two boys seemed to have started to relax and I breathed out. “See, I knew you guys were big boys and have a good understanding of consequences.” Now that I have exercised my wonderful power of speech, I should get my out of here before a teacher comes – that’s going to be quite an explanation that wouldn’t benefit anyone if I get caught – especially me, since I crossed a boundary just by being here. “I guess my job is done now.” 

“Thanks, Jiwoo.” Donghyuk said in relief. 

As I turned around, the ruckus coming from outside made my steps freeze. Someone was pushing through the students.

“Jiwoo, a teacher is right outside.” Bobby quickly alerted me.

With my mind not thinking of a plan fast enough, someone acted for me.

Hanbin held onto my wrist and pulled me towards the row of showers before shoving me behind the white curtain. “Stay there for now.”

I stared at the white barrier once he pulled it close and took a single step back before realizing where I was. This is out-of-this-world kind of gross. But soon, that thought disappeared as the entrance of the teacher held my attention.

“What is going on in here? Why are there students standing outside?”

“Nothing is going on, Mr. Woo.” Bobby innocently replied. Remaining in my hiding spot, I was thankful to know that Bobby was there. The whole situation should turn out fine as long as the mastermind is on our side.

But, I spoke too soon.

Someone’s voice perked up. “Are you sure, Hanbin?”

It was that damn boy. Ugh. What a pain he is.

“Hanbin, what is Hyunjoong saying?” Mr. Woo suddenly asks.

There was silence be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter