Chapter 10: The Cursed Ice Cream Run

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Well, come on in.

That’s what I wanted to say but one, knowing what kind of ammunition Sanghee was carrying, I didn’t want to. And two, Sanghee didn’t quite wait for me to invite her in; she just kinda pushed her way through.

Which, I guess is fine with me.

Saves me from faking my excitement after knowing what this hangout would entail.

“So which one first?” Sanghee spoke over her shoulder as she led me into my own living room. “’Love of my Life’ or ‘Love Her and Keep Her’?”

“Any others?” I sat back into the couch as she walked over to my DVD player. “Like, possibly… anything that doesn’t have the word ‘love’ in it?” 

She laughed out loud. “Nope.” Sanghee proceeded to pick one without my help. “Sorry to disappoint you.” 

But, was she really sorry? I will bet money and say she wasn’t. Not one bit.

“Just tell me what you’ve been hiding and all this can stop.” She casually states while hovering her finger on the ‘play’ button. Her finger continued teasingly, waiting for my answer.

“Sanghee, there’s nothing.”

At my answer, she presses it without hesitation. “Well, I did give you a chance, didn’t I?” She smiled and the sound of the drama OST filled the room. I breathed out as she took a seat beside me on the couch.

“Want a drink?” I generously offer.

“You just want to avoid this as much as you can.” Sanghee caught on. 

“You know it.” I didn’t bother denying, there really isn’t a point. “So, what would it be?”

“Orange juice.” 

I pushed myself up from my seat and walked into the kitchen. My eyes were trained on my sister sitting at the table, staring at her phone. Where was Jimin when she is needed? It couldn’t be healthy for her sanity being locked up in her room staring at paperwork all weekend. 

“Whatcha doing?” I asked because as a sister, I should. 

With her eyes stuck on her phone, Jiyoon tiredly answered. “He has been calling me.”

This is why Jimin was needed. This involved boy problems. I was no expert in said area. 

“Did you pick up?” I asked again, out of duty. I’m really terrible.

“I’m trying not to.” 

I nodded my head, not quite sure on what else I can say. There wasn’t much to say. This guy dumped Jiyoon and has been calling her. She doesn’t want to pick up so she isn’t. It was clear as day and pretty straightforward.

The random buzzing in my sweat’s pocket stole my attention and I pulled out my phone. Weird, I don’t usually get calls. But, the six-letter nickname that popped up on my calling screen made me subtly gasp in complete horror.

Why is he calling me? I’m pretty sure I made it crystal clear that I was so done with him.

Jiyoon turned around and looked at me, staring at my phone in my hands. “Aren’t you going to pick up?”

I made no moves to do that. I didn’t want to talk to him. Just like Jiyoon, I didn’t want to, so I wasn’t going to. “Nope, I don’t want to talk to this person.”

“You too, huh?” 

“You know, unnie,” I took a seat beside her at the kitchen table. “Ignore the guy. He will probably talk nonsense anyways.” Just like Hanbin, who would probably remind me of his warning or get me to do something for him if I do pick up his call. It’s all nonsense.

“You’re right. I need to stay strong.” Jiyoon confidently agreed. Her indecisiveness from earlier is gone at my sensible words.

“Exactly. And, this call would rack up our phone bill.” Totally not worth it. “So, let’s not pay for nonsense talk, okay?”

Jiyoon’s lips broke into a small smile. “Jiwoo, you’re quite smart.”

Quite? Is this a back-handed compliment? “I guess I am.” I pushed myself up from my seat and proceeded to finally grab the glass of orange juice for Sanghee. I walked back into the living room feeling good that I ignored a phone call from the notorious bully and handed the filled glass over to my best friend.

“That took a while.” Sanghee spoke to me without taking her eyes off the television set. A sight that is a familiarity to me. As a best friend, I don’t even get the same amount of devotion that Sanghee gives to these ridiculous drama series. 

I sat back into the soft cushion and watched Sanghee’s choice of drama and prepared myself for what other unoriginal mush this drama had. 

Through all the ‘aww’s’ and ‘ahh’s’ coming from Sanghee, I managed to keep my facial expressions neat and together. This time, I prevented myself from gagging.

Let me get this straight.

So, this guy traveled back in time – which will never happen in real life – and he tries to win back his future wife….

First of all, why?

That’s so tiring. He’s putting in a lot of effort that can be used elsewhere. Am I wrong? And he obviously likes her, why does it take forever for the female lead to know? Like, why?

These are the questions, people.

I sighed loudly. This drama is putting me in a bad mood. Is it just me? Or what? Why am I not getting this?

“Look at how he looks at her.” Sanghee commented from beside me. Again with the ‘looks’. What exactly is Sanghee seeing? I turned back and tried to focus on what I was missing. Okay… the male character looks at the female character. His eyes stay on her –

Hey, doesn’t that remind me of something?

Why does he wait for her outside of school? There was some familiarity in that action. Oh wait, that’s what Mino does. I let out a short laugh after remembering how Mino waits at the school gates…

I honestly don’t know why Mino does that. I know we take the same bus but was my school’s bus stop closer or something? What a weird guy.

“See that, Jiwoo?” Sanghee begins speaking. “I’m sure you don’t, but I’m going to keep talking.” 

I pursed my lips, not really trying to relate to what Sanghee is about to say.

“When that frozen heart of yours melt, you will understand the greatness of love.” Sanghee continues and I honestly think she could be hired as the spokeswoman of love dramas. She would be number one at the job.

“There’s nothing great about it.” I have said that many times before. And if I must, I will continue to say it.

“Oh, please.” Sanghee shoots back. “When love happens, it's going to feel like a bolt out of the blue. The good kind. You'll feel as if the world worked its hardest to make sure you two would meet.”

I ended up staring at her. Not really confident on how I should respond to her random enlightenment. “…I see.”

“Like, isn't that amazing?” Sanghee ignored my attempt to stop her.

“I guess, Sanghee.” I give up. I’ll just let her speak until she run out of things to say.

“I can’t wait to see you turn all shy around the guy you like.”

“Mhm.” I settled for humming a resp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter