Chapter 54: Needy-Jiwoo is Very Much Needed

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When he already thought Jiwoo was hard to understand, she continued to prove him wrong. Just time after time. 

And he was absolutely tired of it. 

When is she ever going to give him a break?

From where he sat in the back of the classroom, his eyes naturally land on her back while the teacher continued his lecture in the front of the filled classroom. Unlike him, she was focusing and busying herself with class work. How could she concentrate so well? He felt like a mess while looking at her. And after his whole confession and over her whole constant denial – which he knew couldn’t be true – he has only gotten more unsettled. 

But, when did she ever not frustrate him?

Always doing things that he disagrees with and in this same situation, she still refuses to admit her feelings to him even when he clearly knows she has them. 

She likes him, like how he likes her.

What kind of luck did he have to end up liking someone like her? The school was 50% women – and he still ended up having feelings for the one girl that doesn’t understand her emotions.

He had to make it hard for himself. 

Hanbin blinked back from his troublesome thoughts at the sound of the lunch bell ringing and got his attention pulled from the small nudge coming from Bobby, whom was sitting beside him. The boy nodded towards the doorway before getting up. Gathering his things quickly, Hanbin followed after him. The two wandered down the busy hallway beside one another toward their quiet destination – proven to avoid disturbances.

The regular rooftop.

“You’re really impatient, Hanbin.”

“What am I supposed to do when she’s taking so damn long to admit it?” Hanbin retorts. “Are you even sure about her liking me?” He didn’t want to concede but he was starting to doubt it the longer she was making him wait. 

…Was she messing with him? 

Bobby chuckles. “Why are you second-guessing yourself? I’m sure.” Seeing that Hanbin isn’t convinced by his words, Bobby decided to continue. “You remember how I told you she met up with Zico?” Bobby questioned. “I realized something about it.”

“Then, tell me.” Because Hanbin surely didn’t. 

“Do you remember those deals Jiwoo made with you?” Due to the question, Bobby casually reminds Hanbin of Sanghee and Jiwoo’s older sister’s dilemmas. “She made those agreements with you because people dear to her were in trouble.”

“So, what?”

“She recently made a deal with Zico.”

“I know that already.” Hanbin responds, not understanding why Bobby was telling him that again.

Bobby sighs. His friend didn’t see it. “She made the deal in order to help you. In conclusion, she made it because you were in trouble. Knowing that you are also dear to her should comfort you for the time being.” Bobby adds. “Someone like Jiwoo needs time – she’s unpredictable.”

Something that Hanbin heard leave through her lips ever since he confessed.

“Besides Hanbin, don’t you have problems you should deal with first?” After all, Bobby heard from Sanghee that Jiwoo was secretly handling things on the side. Hanbin could use this time to take care of some of his as well.

***

With school ending on the final bell, Hanbin comfortably left the building – already aware of who may be waiting for him at the gates. After all, it has been going on for a few days now.

“Woonie, you’re here again.”

Her lips formed a beautiful smile. “I told you I was coming around until my own break ended.” And knowing Hanbin, she knew he wouldn’t reject her – since, they were childhood friends after all.

“Fine, let’s go.” This time, Hanbin didn’t bother commenting on it too much and Woochan followed after him, bewildered by the change in attitude. Before they left, she glanced through the gates but this time again, she didn’t catch the familiar girl’s face. Jiwoo hadn’t been around Hanbin often – did the girl take her warning seriously then?

But not dwelling on it, Woochan focused her attention back on the boy that was pleasantly occupying her time. 

The two arrive at the sandwich shop before finding and taking their seats at one of the empty tables. Like the other times, it was always Woochan who was the excited one between the both of them.

“Hanbin, what would you like to eat today?”

“I’m not hungry, Woonie.” With his nerves getting the best of him, he didn’t have such an appetite. 

Normally, he wouldn’t care to do such things but after listening to Bobby (the boy who was rarely wrong), Hanbin decided that an explanation was needed. After all the mistakes that have occurred, it's about time he changes his habit of keeping silent. 

“Then, are you just going to watch me eat?” She chuckled.

“Actually…I’m going to talk.” There was no confidence in his voice, though he hopes she didn’t see through it. 

“Are you going to tell me again that you have someone you like?” Woochan casually asked while keeping her eyes on the menu. Hanbin was predictable. Since the start, he had admitted that fact to her. Very un-Hanbin-like.

Though years apart were the perfect time for change to take place. 

Or maybe it was because of Jiwoo.

“Then, why are you still trying?” Hanbin asked in exasperation. 

“I would feel regretful if I just gave up.” She replied without pause. She gave up once before, she didn’t want to do it for a second time.

Hearing her answer, Hanbin sighed. He temporarily distracts himself by looking out the window. “Have you gone to see Mino like I asked you to?” 

“Why would I go see him?” She sets the menu down to give Hanbin her undivided attention. “Why do you insist that I do?”

“We were all friends.” Hanbin sat back into the chair and answered blankly.

“Isn’t it enough that you want to be friends with him again?” Because unlike Hanbin, she couldn’t exactly forgive what Mino had done. “I didn’t overlook what he did.” Woochan muttered. “Have you forgotten what he said to us?”

Of course, Hanbin didn’t. And since he stuck around, he has been reminded often whenever he ran into Mino as the boy never let him live it down. They were blamed for the downfall of their friendship. That they were selfish and just didn’t think about anyone else but themselves. 

What would Jiwoo do in this situation?

At times like these, he really wished she were here. 

He was never one that was good with his words. 

“…He was hurt, Woonie.” 

“So, he chose to hurt us too?” 

No, Mino didn’t have to. “We’re not innocent either.” When Mino found out about Woochan having feelings for Hanbin – Hanbin could have made it clear that he didn’t share those feelings and Woochan could have been more sensitive to how Mino was feeling. 

“What could we have done?” She figured the problem was bound to happen and how things ended just showed how weak their friendship was. 

“I could have been truthful and you could have tried to understand him.”

The first part of Hanbin’s words immediately reminds her of the unspoken reality. “That you didn’t have feelings for me?”

He never made it clear to her but, there was no doubt in Hanbin’s mind that she knew. “I’m sorry.” 

If Jiwoo were here, she would have definitely made a smart comment about his apology.

And Woochan didn’t miss it either. “…But, you never apologize.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter