Chapter 50: Secrets Aren't Nice

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you using them?”

In response to his question, I pulled out the hand warmers to show him that I was, without a doubt, using it well. “I never thought I would say this – I think this is the best present I have gotten this year.” I commented humorously, in which Hanbin returned a small smile. 

Seeming a little proud for his taste in presents.

Walking out from the school building and towards the gate, I hid my face deeper into my jacket to avoid the wind blowing at my cheeks.

“Jibin still has your scarf, right?” Hanbin asked while keeping his eyes on me. “You’re careless to not remember to take it back.”

“He was careless for not giving it back.” I retorted, but not genuinely upset at the little tyrant for it. He needed it more than me. 

Comfortably, we walked up to the gates before receiving an unexpected surprise.

Really, it was completely unexpected.

“Found you.” Woochan slid out to greet Hanbin, a bright smile planted on her lips. A smile so genuine that even I became dazed by it. “I thought that maybe I had missed you.”

The boy beside me continued to stare at her, still stunned by her appearance. “What are you doing here, Woonie?” 

I took a quick glimpse of Hanbin – his posture straightening up at the sight of the girl. Was that a sign of being uncomfortable – maybe it was but I couldn’t really point it out. 

“We didn’t get to talk much the other day so I was hoping today would be the day.” She gently answered before sending a smile in my direction. “I met you a few days ago, didn’t I?”

Seeing there was no reason to hesitate, I smiled back. “Hi, again.” 

And…I wanted to leave.

It felt like I didn’t belong here and I wasn’t going to force myself to. It would only be tiring for me. But, when I looked at Hanbin – my retreating steps dithered. It was most likely because of the thoughts that he possibly needed me that caused it.

“Jiwoo.” His voice pulls me from my thoughts. “I think you should go on ahead – it’s only going to get colder out here.”

And without any reason to stay due to his words, I nodded my head. “You’re becoming sensible – I’ll leave first.” I peeked up at Hanbin for a second before spinning on my heels. Walking a bit further away, I looked back just to see why Bobby was so worried about the girl’s sudden arrival. 

Hanbin can handle it, can’t he?

And the more I watched the girl who appeared kind, the more I thought Bobby was worrying for nothing. Just like how often I am, he’s being anxious due to unfounded reasons. 

See, I’m never wrong.

Heading toward my bus stop, like normally, I waited for the bus. Silently praying for it to come as quickly as possible while I shook in my boots. Though, there was one thing I was thankful for. Pulling out my hand, I looked down at the small heating pack clutched tightly within it. 

“Jiwoo.”

Tearing my eyes away, I looked up to find Mino coming down the snowy sidewalk. “You’re picking the bus up here?” He could have just waited at his high school. I guess people don’t really fear the cold like I do.

Unlike the usual smiles he gave me, Mino’s expression remained stiff. “Where’s Hanbin?” 

Another surprise.

He wasn’t here for me this time. “He’s back at the school with –“ I stopped myself from further continuing.

How could I have forgotten?

Mino still doesn’t know Woochan was here. Unless, she had also gone to meet with him as well. I mean, they were all friends at one point or another – the thought wasn’t far-fetched. Without waiting for the rest of my words, Mino moved past me with his sights set on the school building in the opposite direction. Not a moment of hesitation, I quickly trailed after him seeing that something was off. I didn’t have a clear reason – just a bad feeling. That happens quite often, doesn’t it? So, I knew better than to just ignore it. 

“Mino.” I called out before I caught up to him. “…Why are you looking for Hanbin?” What was I afraid of? Mino finding Hanbin? Or actually finding Hanbin with Woochan? I’m not sure which was worse.

“I have to talk to him.”

I slid in front of him. If I could, I hope to stall him just for a moment. “Like…a verbal talk?” Or was it a physical talk?

Mino looked down at me, that serious expression still on his face. “How could you still be protecting him?”

“I’m not.” I denied. “But...if I were, why shouldn’t I?” What has gotten Mino so worked up?

Unable to give me a straight answer, Mino continued moving forward to finish his goal of reaching the school and I, of course, didn’t go back to the bus stop but immediately kept up after him. When the front gates almost came into view, I held my breath. 

Well, I tried, Hanbin.

Sincerely this time.

But once we were welcomed by an empty sight, I didn’t hesitate to thank the heavens. I subtly let out a breath of relief and waited for when Mino would finally give me another clue pertaining to the reason why he was here and in such a rush to meet up with the tyrant.

“Where is he?” 

“He probably left.” I kept my tone casual. “Who would want to keep standing in this kind of weather?”

“Call him.”

I blinked back and stared at him. “What for?” The gravity of the situation finally begins to settle in. “What did Hanbin do –“

“Jiwoo.”

I stopped and gave him my attention. 

“I need to talk to him.” Mino clearly repeats once more. “Please call him.” 

Knowing that nothing I would say would change his adamant attitude, I pulled out my phone and dialed Hanbin’s number cautiously. It didn’t take long before the boy of interest answered. 

“I hope I didn’t interrupt anything.” I greeted him. “Mind coming back to school?” 

***

Okay, so how bad would this be?

I stood on the side and carefully watched what seemed to be a standoff. It was like the day at the karaoke parlor didn’t even happen. Their peace really doesn’t last long as the air between the two changed so quickly. I thought Bobby said their relationship was slowly changing, improving.

I don’t see it.

“What is it?” Hanbin broke the silence.

I looked toward Mino and noticed his demeanor. Almost like he was suppressing his feelings. But, maybe the cold weather would be enough to cool him down. 

That’s what I hope anyway. 

“Do you know how irresponsible you are?”

Hanbin didn’t react to Mino’s words – which

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter