Chapter 41: The Things I Do

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning, Jiwoo.” Mino tilted his head down to look at me from his usual spot on the bus. I blinked back from my thoughts, now just noticing him. “You’re resorting to ignoring me now?” He asked jokingly. “What are you thinking about?” 

“About who is going to help me at my locker now.” I replied while trying to figure out the solution to the problem.

Mino looked at me in confusion before eyeing my arm still in the sling. “Right, it must be hard with just one arm.”

He had no idea. Now that my usual helper is suspended, what am I supposed to do? 

“Who helped you before?” He wondered.

“Hanbin.” 

Mino scoffs in disbelief. “That’s quite unxpected from him.”

I turned to look at him before a thought crossed my mind. A bad idea but when has that ever stopped me before? “Mino, why don’t you try to get along with Hanbin?” I worded vaguely, I didn’t want Mino to know that I knew of his and Hanbin’s history just yet.

“That’s impossible.” He only responded back shortly.

“Why is that?” 

Before he answered, he leaned forward as if to tell me a secret. “Because you like him.” He slowly straightened up while I watched him carefully. Well, look at that. No blushing cheeks. 

“…That’s quite a superficial reason.” I commented and he chuckled in response. I’m sure he didn’t intend to tell me the real reason why he was still mad at Hanbin, so I let it go. 

“You’re really patient.” Mino adds. “For having to put up with Hanbin all day long.”

At first, I agree but now that I’m starting to see other sides to Hanbin, I can honestly say – “Hanbin isn’t as bad as you would think.” I mean, he could really be a lot worse. But it’s also because Hanbin is immature that it makes it hard to deal with him. “His personality is unexpected.” 

Mino sighed. “I don’t want to hear about it.” He looked away from me. “He makes up those good sides and shows them to you, I've never seen them myself."

“Well, I’m still learning about those good sides of him also.” I smiled in amusement.

***


“So, what are you going to do about it?”

I stared at the boy standing before me. Why is he always doing this in the morning? I am still half-asleep. So, instead of responding, I walked past him towards my locker. But, I knew that was only a temporary solution.

“And my question is, why do you come to me?” I finally responded while opening my locker. 

“His suspension was caused because he was protecting you.” Bobby replies and I breathe out, hoping Bobby could sense just how tired I am – since, I am too tired to tell him so. “Jiwoo.” He called for my attention while I began struggling to gather my things with my single hand. 

Suddenly, a thought appeared in my mind and my hand froze. I straightened up in one quick movement and looked at him. “Is this part of your plan?” I asked upon realizing something.

“What? Let’s focus back at the real problem.” 

“Why do you keep trying to involve me with Hanbin?” Every single thing – every aspect of Hanbin’s life, Bobby has been trying to get me freaking involved. “…That’s your goal?” Now that I’m thinking about it…why? Other than being a fixer, why? I searched his face for answers but of course, Bobby would never give it away. He was too smart to even allow his expression to falter. So, instead, I gave up trying to hear an answer before revealing a small tidbit so that he’ll leave me alone. “Calm down, I already have a plan in mind.” 

I couldn’t exactly leave the situation as is after the boy got in trouble for helping me. The sudden reveal caused Bobby to look at me in surprise…yeah, didn’t quite expect that did you, Bobby?

I told him I was impulsive.

“You have a plan?” 

“Somewhat.” I responded. “It’s not anything intricate like your secret plan…but yeah, I got something.”

And this particular plan included someone’s help. Obviously.

***

“Donghyuk, you can do something about it, can’t you?” As soon as the break bell rang, I immediately caught him as he was coming out of his classroom.

“It was a suspension, Jiwoo.” Donghyuk reminded me.

“Yes, but can’t you twist some facts around to lessen it?” I stared at the boy. I’m giving him some good ideas – I just did like 90% of the work. All he has to do now is carry them out.

“I’m not good at that stuff.” He mumbled in response.

I sighed and looked at him. “Hyunjoong had been instigating problems throughout the whole day yesterday. He was the one that was trying to get a rise out of Hanbin.” I notified the boy in front of me. “Can’t you use that?”

Donghyuk remained silent as he thought about it. “I’ll go talk to the teachers about it and let you know what happens.” He finally gives in.

“Remember.” I stopped him before he could leave. “Twists the facts.” Wow, is this what corruption is? 

***

Alright.

So, Donghyuk had gotten the whole day to do this one job. It is just one job. He could get it done, right? And, the moment he found me in the hallway as I stood waiting for him, the news he brought me were good news.

Or was it bad news?

I guess, depending how you see it.

Good, because everything is solved but bad, because I don’t know how Hanbin is going to take it.

“This is the best you can do?” I asked blankly.

Donghyuk rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m actually quite scared thinking about you telling Hanbin.”

I sighed while thinking about it some more but blinked back when I realized something else. I reached out and placed my hand comfortingly on Donghyuk’s shoulder. “I’m scared for you too.” I stopped the laugh that wanted to leave my lips. From the bottom of my heart, genuinely, I wish Donghyuk the best.

This time, Donghyuk sighed. “Are you going to tell him now?”

“Yeah, I’ll go bring the news.” With those last words, I headed towards the exit. I’m assuming that with this type of information, it’s best to say it face to face…now, not because it is such a sensitive issue but rather, I’m dying to see the look on Hanbin’s face as soon as he hears what I have to say.

***

“Jiwoo, you’re here again.” Mrs. Kim unusually greets me upon opening her front door. “…Normally, no one ever comes back.” 

Oh, how I missed her bluntness. 

“Is Hanbin in his room?” I smiled before asking.

“Yeah, after his whole suspension, he’s not allowed to leave his room.” She answered me with a smile. “Unless, he wanted to lose a leg.”

Professor Kim did not take it well, I assume.

“May I go see him?” I asked politely. “I have some of his missed work today.”

“Sure, go on ahead.” She nodded and I headed towards the stairs before rushing up and stood before his door.

With a few knocks to notify him of my presence, I opened the barrier. “What kind of punishment is this?” I stared at him in disbelief. As soon as he heard my voice, he immediately spun away from his computer desk to hurriedly shush me. I shut the door, not taking his panic seriously. “Wow. The school suspend you just so you can play computer games.” I went on while he continued to motion me to be quiet. “This is the life.”

This time, he rushed out of the chair and manually shut my mouth by placing his hand over my lips. “Stop.” He ordered though his gritted teeth. I brushed away his hands only to smile amusingly at him. At least there was one person he was afraid of.

Seeing how this would take some time, I took a seat on the ground before the small table set in the middle of his room.

“What are you doing?” He looked at me curiously.

“My legs are tired.” I fixed myself comfortably on the floor while moving around my sling.

“This is a boy’s room.”

His sudden words reminded me of something before a soft snort left my lips. “Ew. That line reminds me of something I heard in a drama once.” I looked up at him while my lips quirked. “Is your next line going to mention how dangerous it is for a girl to sit in a boy’s room alone?” 

Please don’t. 

His eyes held disbelief as it focused on me. “How are you so carefree about it?”

“You’re not just a boy, you’re human. So you’re capable of self control.” I answered in all honesty. “Though, I’m sure that line would get Sanghee squealing.” Better if Donghyuk were to say it, yet, I can’t imagine that. 

At my words, he only sighed in defeat before taking a seat on the floor on the opposite side of the table. “What are you doing here again?” He innocently inquired.

“Well, to be truthful, I’m not sure if I’m here to tell you good news or bad news.” I responded.

“What is that suppose

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter