Chapter 31: Change is in the Air

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I sat across a very fidgety Jimin at the kitchen table and never have I felt so uncomfortable being in her presence. I looked away from her and continued to munch on my morning cereal. Yet, even when I looked away, I can still feel her watchful eyes on me. 

Though, I wasn’t going to say anything. I was just going to carry on – 

“Are you going to keep avoiding me?” 

I guess, I forgot the part where Jimin could still talk to me. 

“I’m not avoiding, unnie.” I denied casually but yes, I was. It is never good when Jimin takes this long to reveal what she is thinking. 

“Then, why aren’t you looking at me?”

In response to her question, I finally lift my eyes to meet hers. “Here I am. Looking at you.” I pressed my lips together to force a smile. 

“I need you to do something.” 

Here it comes.

“I would but you see, I have to get to school early today.” Jimin should have realized that if I am sitting here at the kitchen table dressed for school and while she hadn’t left for work yet, then she should have figured I just couldn’t wait to start my lovely day.

…To be honest, I was taking precautions to avoid Mino. 

But, let’s pretend the former was the true reason.

“Get Jiyoon to go to her classes.”

Her words promptly cause a sigh to leave my lips. “Unnie, if you can’t get her to go, there’s no way she’ll listen to me.”

“You’re good with your words, Jiwoo.” Jimin goes on to reason.

So now everyone appreciates this ability of mine. First it was Bobby and now, Jimin. But, this ability has yet to benefit me in any way – it seems others were more prone to exploit it more than me. 

Since all she received from me was silence, Jimin continued. “If you agree, I’ll help you get out of drama dates with Sanghee – I’ll even take your place.”

Well, isn’t that a nice bargain? “And you will get Jiyoon unnie mochi ice cream when and wherever she wants it.” I added to make the bargain increasingly better…for me, that is.

“Fine.”

“Then a deal you have.” I jumped from my seat at the table and headed to Jiyoon’s room. If I work quickly enough, I can still catch the earlier bus. My steps were speedy getting me up the stairs, straight into Jiyoon’s room, and onto her bed.

I pulled the comforter away and looked down at a wide-awake Jiyoon.

“Don’t waste your breath, Jiwoo.” 

Well, she definitely heard Jimin and my conversation. “Jimin unnie is worried about you.”

“She doesn’t understand.” Jiyoon whined. 

“Unnie, of course Jimin unnie does –“

“If you try to convince me then that means you want me to die too.”

I stared at her upon hearing her words. That escalated quickly. “Unnie, I’m just asking but…do you hear yourself?”

She covers her face with both of her hands. “I know I sound ridiculous but –“ She propped herself up into a sitting position and kept her face inches from my own. “ – My fear isn’t ridiculous. There is a man out there that is just waiting for the moment when I’ll come outside to snatch me up.”

“…And that doesn’t sound ridiculous?” I couldn’t stop the words that came out in response because it sure did to me. 

Jiyoon’s mouth fell open. “How could you –“

“Alright, alright.” I answered gently. “Unnie, you are allowing someone that is insignificant to affect your life – that’s why it’s ridiculous.” I attempt to reason since my words from earlier were not helping in any way. “You’re just hiding and the problem is not going away. You need to take control of the situation.”

There was a moment of silence between the two of us and Jiyoon allowed my words to sink in.

“I know, Jiwoo.” Jiyoon sighs. “What do I do?”

“Go to school.” I answered shortly before planting my feet on the floor to stand up. But, Jiyoon wasn’t satisfied with that and grabbed my hand to stop me. 

“But –“ She prevented herself from continuing since she knew if she had kept going, it would just be another excuse that I would have called her out on.

“How about this?” I wanted to deal with the problem quietly but I guess it can’t be helped. “You go to school today and I deal with the stalker.” With the help of Hanbin, of course. 

“You?” She stared up at me.

“Yeah, there’s nothing to be afraid of.” Some guy that has not shown himself probably was a coward anyway. I should know. I’ve lived that life – still am.

“…I’ll get to school.”

“That’s what I like to hear.” I replied contently. “Keep your phone on hand and don’t walk by yourself.” I further advised to ease her nervousness. “Everything will be fine.”

“It’ll be fine.” She repeated and nodded to herself.

“And besides, you won’t be worrying about the stalker when you have to worry about all the work you’ve missed recently.” I realistically reminded her.


***

Oh, this is fun.

This is beyond fun. I wish I have known this feeling sooner.

For the tenth time, a sigh leaves his lips. He has been struggling to vocalize the single word I had asked for him to say just minutes before. It wasn’t wrong of me. If you ask for a favor then there is no way you can leave this word out and I was going to make him say it. And seeing him so tortured didn’t stop me from lingering against the lockers because, since it was torturing for him, it was immensely fun for me. I’m sure you would all understand why that is.

Thinking about it now, Big was dead wrong. I was no masochist. 

“…Please.”

Oh, the satisfaction.

“Please, what?”

“Please pick up Jibin after school today.” He didn’t phrase the request in the way I wanted but I’ll take it – though, I expect improvement next time. But, another thing I should mention. Never would I think I could get tough ol’ Hanbin to say the word, ‘please’. We are making progress, people.

“Sure, Hanbin.” I shot him a bright smile – wait a minute. “But…why?” That should have been the first question but seeing Hanbin like this clearly made me ignore my rational thoughts.

“Look at me.” Hanbin motioned at his face that still had some healing bruises. “It’ll create problems if he saw me like this.”

Right…Hanbin was trying to stop influencing Jibin. “Do I have to bring him home too?” The walk is really long, if I remember correctly. Though the last time I was in the area, I was running half of the way.

“You better.”

“Excuse me?” That tone was unacceptable and he knew it.

He shuts his eyes in frustration. “Please bring him home.”

Satisfied, I nodded my head. “Was it that painful, Hanbin?” I wanted it to hurt. God, I’m so bad but I just couldn’t help but relish this moment.

“Yes and there’s this bad aftertaste in my mouth.” He grumbled before looking up at me staring at him. “What is it?”

Something was off.

“Why are you staring at me like that?” He asked once more, a little more forceful this time.

And, I figured it out.

“Remember to smile for me next time.” I patted his shoulder before walking past him. I’m sure he has a few choice words for me but I had to say it to rub it in. I love this new relationship. Yet, within taking a few bouncing steps, my head jerked backwards slightly due to an unknown force. As soon as I saw who walked past me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter