Chapter 13: Collecting the Debt

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

And, all those drama scenes from ‘Love Her and Keep Her’ flashed through my mind. This was why it was so familiar. This, people, is the mess I was mentioning about earlier. 

“Uh – “ Now it was my turn to stutter. The boys peered at me, waiting on my response that seems to be taking forever. 

But, what did they want? Did they want me to smile my head off? Did they want me to cheer? Break out into dance?

“That’s…nice.” I finally allowed the words to seep out through my stiff body. 

The boys were still frozen and it looked like Mino was holding his breath because I swear I see his face turning blue. 

“Nice? That’s it?” Taehyun was the first to speak from the team. 

Mino’s clearly disappointed face came into view and I actually hesitated to say my next words.

Like, ‘yes, that’s it’. That’s better than me saying, ‘I have absolutely no interest so please give up now’. But, with this unexpected reaction from such an intimidating guy, I couldn’t say those words. 

“I mean, thank you…?” I was lost. I didn’t know how to respond correctly because I was never in such a situation. I knew exactly what to do when I’m caught in a physically troublesome situation – like the ones with Hanbin and the bullying girls but when it came to these…things, I hadn’t a slightest clue.

If Sanghee were here she would know what to do. She probably had to deal with similar situations - Miss Popular.

Taehyun was the first to react again as a short laugh left his lips. “She said thank you. Oh, my God.” He continued to himself.

Mino stopped him from making any more remarks. “That’s fine, I didn’t expect to hear an answer I wanted.” He forced himself to smile and my own face wrinkled apologetically. “That’s why I said I was going to be the person you’ll like.” 

“Mino…” Again, I wanted to say, ‘No, Mino, you won’t be’, but I didn’t. Of course.

I mean how can I explain to him that I was incapable of having such feelings for anyone. Like how Hanbin lacked kindness, I lacked the ability to feel any ‘like’ or ‘love’ towards anyone. 

Love didn’t appeal to me.

…Well, maybe not at the current time at least.

“Well, then!” Mino quickly changed the subject. “Should we go catch the bus?”

I knew his question did nothing to quell the awkwardness based on the looks being shared between his friends but no one wanted to do anything about it…except one person.

“I’m going on ahead, I can’t stand this atmosphere.” Taehyun blurts before walking on ahead.

“I-I think I’ll j-join him.” Jinwoo – who by the way has a name too similar to mine, rushed forward to walk along with Taehyun. Gosh, the awkwardness was also getting the poor boy to stutter.

I turned to look at Mino as we walked towards the bus stop and I couldn’t help but feel bad once more. Why is he doing this to me? Why is he acting in a way where I have to feel bad? I sighed as we stood at the curb and I tried not to think any more about it while on my way home. My inner thoughts were once again silenced…for other reasons beside the fact that I was a coward. 

And this thought never left me as I forced my sleep to come faster that night. 

***

Guys, I never knew this situation could frustrate me so bad.

I mean, I shouldn’t have to worry so much about Mino’s confession but it created this unsettling feeling within me since last night and still to this morning and I couldn’t do anything to stop it. 

Worst of all, it was affecting my concentration.

“Jiwoo, do you mind solving this problem?”

“Uh –“ I looked up at my homeroom teacher as my mind drew a blank slate. “Hm –“ Now, I was just buying time but the more his face twisted unhappily due to my inability to solve the incomprehensible math problem on the board, the more I wanted to somehow magically get the answer right.

He hasn’t been quite happy with me – but in my defense, I hadn’t really caused any trouble, others were causing trouble for me instead, so I wanted to get back into his good graces. No one wants to be hated by an authority figure that was in charge of your grades, he had a lot of power here and just in case you all hadn’t realize, that meant he had a bit of power over my future.

So, this measly answer was going to decide the fate of my happiness later on.

“It’s 24.”

The sudden voice caused me to turn around to see Bobby. 

“Jiwon, I asked Jiwoo to solve it.” Mr. Woo points out which causes Bobby to shrug his shoulders.

“Sorry, thought I heard my name.” 

“That’s fine. But –“ Mr. Woo looks in my direction. “Jiwoo, please pay attention.” 

I return a nod before looking over my shoulder at Bobby who sat in the back.

I narrow my eyes at the boy who simply returns my stare. What was he getting at? His actions, starting with the sweet bread and now this, were enough for me to question his intentions. Sure, we also had similar names but there was no way he would have heard it mistakenly (besides the fact that he even knew the answer…that’s quite a shock). There was something up with him and I needed to know.

If there was another thing I hated besides getting bullied by Hanbin and watching endless dramas with Sanghee is that I didn’t like getting played. 

And, it felt like Bobby was playing me. 

***

“Earth to Jiwoo.” Sanghee says lowly beside my ear and I blinked back from my inattentiveness as the noises of the bustling cafeteria filled my ears. 

“Yeah?” I turned to look at her.

She leaned back and away from my body with her eyes studying me. “What’s going on with you? It’s like you’re not even here.”

“Are you worried about something?” Donghyuk stops eating for a moment to ask. 

Lot’s of things.

I ended up shaking my head. “Not at all.”

“Seems like you got a lot on your mind.” Donghyuk continues on casually.

He didn't know how right he was but at the same time, I wasn’t going to confirm it. I mean what would they be able to do with the delinquent that ended up nurturing a crush for me. How would I explain to them how it happened? 

First, Mino has such luck to somehow find himself liking stone-cold me. Second, I don’t even know how it happened. I mean all I did was help him. Was he going to like any person that would have stopped by to help him? If that’s the case, this crush may just be fickle. There was no real substance and would soon come to pass. 

Yeah, I’ll just keep telling myself that. 

***

“Ugh.” 

The sound left my lips as I saw the familiar back profile of someone. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter