Chapter 21: The Dangerous One

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is spiraling out of control. My life has been completely interrupted and I was only really made aware of the consequences of my actions this morning.

This morning, I was roughly awakened by the piercing sound that is my ringtone. Without bothering to look at the screen, I answered it. Besides Sanghee, there wouldn't be anyone else that would call me so early in the morning - first consequence.

“Where do you live?”

The unexpected voice I heard made me shut my eyes. Tell me this is a nightmare. A horrible nightmare that will disappear once I open my eyes again. 

“Are you still sleeping?” 

The voice only continued without a care in the world. Geez, is this nightmare persistent or what. 

“Wake the hell up.”

How dare my nightmare be so rude. 

“Goodbye, nightmare.” I ended the phone call and slowly sat up. I took a short glimpse of the clock on my bedside table and my eyes widened after witnessing the sight of the time.

Oh God. I’m going to be late.

I jumped up from my warm bed and dashed into the bathroom as quickly as humanely possible. Alright, I got 15 minutes until the bus comes. It’ll be okay - a thought that was strangely optimistic.

Once washing my face and slipping my uniform on, I ran out into the hall and came to an abrupt stop in front of Jiyoon’s bedroom. She was still sitting in her bed. 

“Unnie, why didn’t you wake me up?” I could understand why Jimin couldn’t since she leaves early but what about Jiyoon? What are sisters for if they can’t wake you up? I waited for her answer but she doesn’t even give me a slight glance or any indication of hearing me for that matter. “Unnie.”

This time, I caught her attention.

“Oh, Jiwoo. Sorry, I didn’t hear you.” Her behavior seemed a little off but I was more worried about the time.

“Aren’t you going to school?” 

Jiyoon shakes her head. “No, I’m not feeling well today.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll see you later then.” Jiyoon seemed so out of it and so…tamed unlike her usual hyper behavior. Maybe she was really sick. The thought was pushed aside as I ran past the kitchen and out the front door. I moved quickly down the pathway and out through my fence, not noticing the person waiting on the side.

“Whoa.” Someone grabbed my blazer, tugging me backwards.

“Hanbin?” I looked back at him in surprise. “Let me go, I’m going to miss the bus.” I tried going forward again but Hanbin didn’t want to release the grip he had on my blazer like I asked. Not a shocker. When it means the most, he never listens.

“Is Mino on that bus?”

“Yes.” I answered exasperatedly. 

After my response, he grabbed my hand and pulled me into a run. “We can’t miss that bus.” 

Is Mino his only motivation to do things?

After arriving at the bus stop panting and wheezing, I was happy to find that the bus hadn’t come yet. But, you know who was happier? That’s right. The tyrant next to me.

“Okay, you need to work on your love for me.”

I hadn’t even caught my breath yet. Relax. “Why don’t you do all the talking and I’ll just stand there?”

“That’s not going to work.”

“Wait. How did you know where I live?” I was sure I didn’t answer him this morning when he asked me on the phone.

“Apparently, Bobby knew.” How the hell does Bobby know? Before I could question the legitimacy of the answer, the bus pulled up and Hanbin grabbed my hand once more. “Save it until we get on the bus.”

God. He’s so pushy in the morning. 

Wait a minute. What am I saying? When is he not pushy or bossy?

I pulled my hand out of his grasp. “Mino isn’t on the bus yet.” Whenever it’s possible, I refuse to hold his hand and sweat. Both of us got on the running bus and moved down the aisle before finding our standing spot towards the back. 

We held onto the standing bar as the bus started to pull away from the curb.

“Is your bus always so crowded?” Hanbin wonders out loud with a look of displeasure on his face.

“Just about.” I reply shortly. Maybe if he really dislikes it, he’ll never return. But, that’s just another one of my wishful thinking that’s never happening. Without another word, we waited until the bus would arrive at the specific stop that held the person Hanbin was dying to see. 

Yet, Mino wasn’t there. Surprise, surprise.

“Didn’t you say Mino comes on this bus?” Hanbin looks to me beside him.

I nodded my head. Hm. But since he isn’t here, that’s not an entirely bad thing either. Saves me from pretending to like Hanbin. 

Once we arrived at our stop, both of us slipped off. Hanbin looked back at the bus once more as it starts to drive away. “What the hell? I went through all that to find out Mino wasn’t going on the bus?”

Hey, it was his entire fault. Who would go this far just to upset someone? Hanbin needs to keep his competitiveness in check. 

“I didn’t even get to ruin his morning.” Hanbin mumbled from beside me. 

Well, he ruined mine – there’s his consolation prize. 

“He’s right there!”

Both of our heads snapped up to see a few students run up to us. They weren’t wearing our high school’s uniform and that could mean only one thing. Hanbin has caused trouble once again.

And, my ruined morning continues. 

“What do they want?” Hanbin groaned. 

He’s tired? He’s the one that’s tired? I truly can’t stand this kid. As the students met up with us in the path, we didn’t have a chance to say anything when one of the students pushed Hanbin back against the gate. I, in turn, had my arm grabbed and pulled aside by one of the student’s friends. 

What does this have to do with me?

And with the few kids surrounding us, I was starting to feel claustrophobic again.

“Did I do something to you?” Hanbin tiredly asked.

I shifted slightly to gain a view of the boy who wanted to beat up Hanbin this time. At this point, I could care less to try to do anything. There was no saving my morning so I’m just going to stand here and see how this plays out. 

“Do you not see my face?” The boy points towards the bruise on his cheek. “Your cousin did this.”

Well, that certainly got Hanbin’s attention. “Jibin?” 

God, does Hanbin’s whole family do this normally. This is quite an accomplishment.  

“Instead of controlling your damn cousin you have the time to walk with your girlfriend?” The boy sneered while looking back at me. “If you don’t do something about that boy, I’m going to do something about your girl.”

Whoa. Wait a minute there buddy. “If you don’t mind me asking…why am I involved?” I stepped forward and the student turned back once more to look at me. 

“Because you’re his girlfriend.” He simply responds.

“…What? That’s not really an effective approach.” Are they kidding? Doing something to me won’t get Hanbin to do anything. 

Hanbin, who was still on the side listening didn’t even disagree. See?

“Some kid told us to use you.” The student continues. What kind of threat is this? They’re spilling everything…

“Who?” Hanbin finally cuts in.

The student takes a minute to think. “It was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter