Chapter 16: Free At Last(?)

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I got off the bus at the sight of my stop and began walking home. Well, it seems like everything is working out in my favor. Bobby is going to talk to Hanbin about his sadistic tendencies and Mino has left me alone – it only has been one day and I shouldn’t be making conclusions yet but things seem to be looking up. I could almost forget about my troubles with Big and her posse now that there were other things to celebrate.

Feeling so good, I, on my own accord stopped by the convenience store before heading home. I walked by the freezer section and grabbed a few boxes of green tea mochi ice cream for Jiyoon, and I stopped for a moment, debating whether or not I should also pick up one for myself.

It didn’t take long before I reached in and grabbed another box to add to my armful. And I also made sure not to forget to grab other food items I could put together for lunch tomorrow because I already know my slippers will once again hide when I need them. 

No more detentions for me.

I left the shop and as I made my way home, I took notice of how the sun was still out and it doesn’t seem to be setting anytime soon. Good. That means there would be no signs of trouble. As soon I stepped through the front door of my home, the first thing I heard was the sound of Jiyoon’s ringing phone. 

“Ugh!” She groaned out loud before silencing it. 

Oh man. Does this mean ‘sensitive Jiwoo’ has to make her appearance once again? I carefully walked in with the plastic bags in my hands and I was suddenly relieved to know that at least I got her favorite ice cream. Looks like she was going to need it. 

Hearing my entrance, Jiyoon looked up to see me. “Jiwoo, it’s good that you’re here.” 

“It is?” I questioned back carefully. If anything, I wished I took a bit longer back at the convenience store. 

“What should I do about a guy that keeps calling me?” She sat at the kitchen table as I stayed standing by the door. Why was I suddenly the go-to person for advice? I didn’t hold any answers. I should be the last person you seek for answers. 

“Is this about the guy that dumped you?” I saw her face twitched at the word, ‘dumped’ and I regretted saying it. Whoops. I guess Sensitive Jiwoo failed at her job.

“No, this is a different guy.”

Of course it’s a different guy. How many ‘guys’ do Jiyoon have? “Tell him to stop?” This situation didn’t really require that much thought. 

“I don’t want to speak to him though.” Jiyoon responds. “He’s been stalking me around campus and it’s starting to creep me out.”

Well. 

“Unnie, I think that’s illegal.” I’m sure there’s some law about that. But, that’s not what I’m focused on here. Rather, I am questioning why Jiyoon is being too relaxed about this. I would be totally freaked out.

She placed her hand up. “Right now all I want is for him to stop calling me.”

“I guess you can block his number.” I mean that’s the other obvious solution, right?

“Wait. I can do that?” Jiyoon grabbed her phone and stared wide eyed at it. I tried not to judge my older sister as I made my way to the fridge. And, I didn’t even have to announce that I managed to buy her favorite dessert. “Is that the mochi ice cream?”

“Mhm.” I hummed a confirmation as I tossed one box after another into the freezer. Jiyoon didn’t waste a second before standing up beside me to open a new box.

“Jiwoo, you’re the best!” 

I am, aren’t I?

***

Once again, Mino was nowhere to be seen as I rode the ever-so-exciting morning bus and I was feeling much better about this ‘crush’ thing Mino had for me.

Why?

Because it seems it won’t last after all. Just like how I wanted. But, there seems to be something I didn’t account for. This was totally unexpected and I didn’t know how to deal with it.

It was guilt.

I guess the happiness was only temporary and now that it was gone, it left the small bubbling unwanted feeling at the pit of my stomach. I honestly don’t even know why I’m feeling guilty. So, I brushed the faint feeling aside. Mino can deal with it. And I kept telling myself that this is how things should be. 

Life, right now, is how it should be.

***

Actually – 

I take it back. 

The sight that I was met with after I arrived at school and walked alongside Sanghee to her locker got me rejecting my earlier notion. 

This is not how things should be. 

I didn’t even know how to react as I looked at Sanghee’s tattered textbooks and notebooks.

But, something didn't add up.

It seems Sanghee either knew this was going to happen or this had happened a few days ago and she was over it. I watched her shut the locker without saying anything but by the way she clutched her belongings, I knew it affected her much more than she let on. I mean everyone has a limit to how much they could deal with, right?

Even strong-woman Sanghee.

And, it was simply upsetting as I laid eyes on her and what was more upsetting was the fact that Hanbin and his little crew passed by and as our eyes met, Hanbin sent me this look as if I made the worst decision ever in the history of bad decisions to deny his help.

But, I am still standing strong. Never will I turn to him.

“You know, Jiwoo. I thought I could handle it – “ She moved her eyes from her notebooks up to me and I can see the shaking resolve within them. “ – It’s getting really hard –“

Oh no. What do I do? “Sanghee, it’s okay –“ 

“ – It’s getting really hard for me to stop myself from punching them!” She finished her statement with anger evident in her eyes and I scolded myself for even thinking for a second that Sanghee was going to break down.

That will never happen with Sanghee.

She would make someone else cry before she does. 

“I think it’s time for Donghyuk to interfere.” I mean, Mr. Student Council President’s job is to look out for the students, right? This is right in his area of responsibility. I want him to do something before Sanghee gets charged with assault. 

Cue the giggling. 

Big and her posse made sure we noticed their presences as they made their way past us. As if saying, ‘Yeah, we’re responsible and we’re glad it for you guys’ because you know why? She did say she needed more smiles and as we stared after her, she was smiling as big as she can to show us just how much our misery was making her happy. 

Sanghee gritted her teeth and clutched onto her notebooks tighter as she watched their backs moving away from us. Man, she’s really struggling with her self-control. 

“Ugh! They’re so infuriating.” She huffs angrily. “They ruin all my things and my grades are also suffering.”

I sighed tiredly. Didn’t Big get tired from all this bullying? I was simply tired with just dealing with it. It takes a lot of brain and physical power to carry out her torturing. Like, those thick textbooks really aren’t that easy to tear up, you know? 

“Why is it my fault that I get love letters? I didn’t get to choose how I look, it was all my parents! And I didn’t make those guys – I think there were girls too…” Sanghee mumbled before bringing herself back t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter