Epilogue: You Make Me Happy

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A very long epilogue for you all! <3

 

“Are you moved in yet?”

I glanced around my new dorm room for the upcoming school year. “Yeah, pretty much.” Not entirely unpacked but that wasn’t the question. I carelessly fell backwards to lie on my bed. It wasn’t as comfy as the one at home but it’ll have to do.

I didn’t particularly have a choice anyway.

“There are a few things we need to go over.”

Again? “Is this more of your warnings –“

“No talking to guys.”

I remained silent but nothing else followed Hanbin’s words. “…Is that it?” I thought I was going to have to sit through more ramblings about the dangers of university but it seems he was only worried about the male population attending the same place as me.

“Yes.”

“So, you’re not going to warn me about parties or people that would try to take advantage of me?”

“Nope. The real dangers are guys.”

“Well, I’m going to have to speak to guys.” I broke the honest truth to him. They make up half of the school. It’s inevitable.

“I should have gone to the same university.”

What kind of solution is that? “Hanbin, I’m just going to study. Don’t pop a vein.” Would that be enough to calm him down?

The dorm’s door abruptly opens and I sit up in a start before sending a curt smile towards my roommate who had just walked in.

“Hanbin, I’ll call you back.” Not listening to Hanbin’s opposition – “bye.” I shut off the phone and allowed the silence in the room to settle in.

“A boyfriend?”

I looked up hearing Suah’s question before nodding my head.

“Did he give you a talk about not speaking to guys while you’re here?”

The end of my lip quirked. “That’s exactly why he was calling.” Boys are predictable, aren’t they?

A sigh left her lips while she chuckled. “You know what they say about high school relationships.”

No, I didn’t know. “What do they say?”

“They don’t last.” Suah shrugs while going about with her things. Not meeting my eyes, she continues shuffling her books around on her desk.

Was it just me or was it really casual the way she mentioned that pessimistic tidbit?

***

What to do. 

What to do.

Hanbin tilt his desk chair slightly backwards while staring up at the ceiling as if there was some answer there. Without Bobby, Jinhwan, or Jiwoo around, he didn’t know how else to spend his free time and with Jiwoo warning him to stay out of trouble, there was definitely nothing to do. Upon deciding that sitting here wasn’t helping him with his ongoing problem, Hanbin got up from his chair and grabbed his jacket on the way out of his dorm room. 

Passing by a group of boys, Hanbin was promptly stopped in his tracks.

One of the students slid directly in his path. “Whoa – where are you heading to so fast, Hanbin?”

The boy in question stared back. “Do I know you?”

The smile upon the student’s face is wiped clean. “Are you kidding me?” He shoved Hanbin’s shoulder roughly, irritated by the boy’s nonchalant answer.

Hanbin looked down at the spot where he was touched –

“You decided to beat me up during high school, did you forget?” A voice full of scorn met Hanbin’s ears, yet, the boy didn’t really care.

“I beat up quite a bit of people in high school, can you be specific?”

“What –“ His hands reached out to take Hanbin by the collar when something felt off. “Why are you just standing there?” Hanbin was known to fight back – to get mad, but that wasn’t the response he was getting.

“My girlfriend told me to behave.” Hanbin answers dismissively. “Something about how assault charges could be pressed.” He doesn’t know if that’s all bull or not but would she ever lie to him? And now that she wasn’t around, it wasn’t smart to get into trouble he couldn’t get out of. “So, excuse me.” He pulled the boy’s grip away. “I’m trying to find something to do.”

And getting into a fight was not an option.

But, it did sound fun for a moment before Hanbin’s inner voice screamed, ‘don’t do it, you jerk –‘

Or was that Jiwoo’s voice?

Dumbfounded, the boy allows Hanbin to leave and just as Hanbin turns the corner and finds himself alone, both of his hands grips into fists at his sides. He didn’t realize how hard it is to stay out of trouble. One more second there and Hanbin would have given in.

Now – what is he going to do with this sudden irritation? Quickly trying to walk it off, he mindlessly strolled down hallway after hallway, hoping the feeling of itching to fight would go away and that’s when he found it.

The solution to it all.

He looked into the vast and fully equipped gym that was located in his dormitory building and a good idea crossed his mind. 

“This is great –“ He chuckled to himself – proud that he found the solution to his problems in one place. A place that would completely keep him busy and drain all of his energy so he wouldn’t pick fights. “Needy-Jiwoo would be so proud.”

***

Weeks followed and school assignments began to pick up. And it must have been the same for Hanbin because his calls grew less and less and even when we did talk, it wasn’t for long.

What? He’s got better things to do than to talk to me?

That thought was quite unbelievable. Because, how is that possible? Hanbin wasn’t even that great with people to have made friends. So, where was he spending all of his time?

It was Friday night and turning down Suah’s invitation to go to some local party, I found myself snuggling into my bed and pillow instead. Turning on my side, I reached out and grabbed for my phone while debating to make the call. After making up my mind, I tapped on the six-letter name and held it up to my ear.

But after the sixth ring, I decided Hanbin wouldn’t be picking up. 

Again, what was so fun that he couldn’t pick up my phone call? 

“He always tells me to call him…” I huff silently before dropping my phone aside on the mattress. “Well, that’s fine too.” I grit my teeth while attempting to comfort myself. “I’ll just go to the library.”

Yeah, and do homework on a Friday night.

And you know what? It’s going to be one exhilarating night – calculus simply makes me shake with delight.

Gathering my things, I set out of my dorm and in the direction of the library. Walking in, I found it predictably empty. On a positive note, I had it all to my lonely self and surely I would get my assignments done. Taking a seat at one of the tables on the side of the room, I started unpacking my books when someone slid in the seat across from me. My hands froze while I looked up to see whom it was and I was met with an unfamiliar face.

Not good. I’m not much for meeting new people.

The male student stared back at me, unconcerned that we had just met and that he was making me uncomfortable with his unwelcomed presence.

“Seat’s taken.” I broke the silence between us. 

He perked up. “By whom?”

“My backpack.” I didn’t want to be bothered – the goal was to finish my assignments and nothing was going to stop me. Even if the thing interrupting is Hanbin’s phone call – the fool had his chance. 

He simply brushed off my words. “What’s your name?”

I blinked blankly. Someone here doesn’t understand my subtle hint – should I try again? “Aren’t you here to study?” I hardly doubt he was here for the fun.

Or maybe he was – who am I to judge. I’m also here on a Friday night. But, that’s beside the point.  

“I’m taking a short break.” He responds easily.

“…So, how long is this break going to be?” How long will he distract me for, should be the more appropriate question.

He looked at me, amused. “Let’s keep each other company.”

“I don’t need company.” Far from what I desire. I may be lonely but I really didn’t need company. 

“If you’re here it means you don’t have anything to do – so let’s help each other out.” He continues, clearly not understanding what I’m trying to say. I really hate to be the one to spell everything out but my patience is very limited. 

“I’m here because I have homework to finish.” What the hell is wrong with this kid?

“No one really studies.” He dismissively moves my books aside. 

I reach out and move them back in front of me. “If my name is ‘no one’ then that’s true.”

He sighs. “But, what’s your real name?” 

But, what is wrong with him? “I don’t speak to strangers.” 

He smiled – for what reason, I don’t know. I wasn’t being funny. “My name is Jaewon, we’re no longer strangers now, right?”

This isn’t going to do – “Well, that is certainly interesting…” I calmly took all of my things and began packing up once more. 

“What are you doing?” Jaewon questioned while watching my actions.

“Nothing much.” I shrugged – I’m getting the hell out of here, that’s what I’m doing. Zipping up my backpack, I move to my feet.

“You just got here.” He stared up at me.

“And then decided I don’t like the library.” Specifically, him – whom is bothering me in the library. There are snacks in my room anyway – I’m going back. I walked away calmly and only looked back when I was outside with the library door closed shut behind me. 

Well, my fun plan for the night was a complete failure. 

***

And the world continues to further reinforce this thought. 

“We’re fated, aren’t we?”

I’m starting to feel that way because there she stood in all of her glory – Big or we should be mature now and actually call her by her name?

Yeah, we’re college students – let’s be mature. 

Being more mature means less fun, I guess.

“Hey there, Sungmin.” I was going to offer a smile but I really couldn’t do it. How was it only now did I realize we were once again classmates – but I was looking on the bright side, we couldn’t possibly keep running into each other. Different majors and this place was huge…I couldn’t be that unlucky.

And look at that, new posse.

How does she do that?

That’s kind of impressive if we ignore the fact that this new posse only means triple the annoyance for me. 

Sungmin steps closer and smile that confident smile of hers. “The next four years are looking more fun already.”

Again, when are people going to start understanding my definition of fun?

Hurrying the hell away, I pulled out my phone and reported to the one person that would understand my pain. “Sanghee?”

“What’s up, Jiwoo?”

“Did you choose another university because you knew Sungmin was going to attend here?”

“…No way.”

“It’s going to be high school all over again.”

“Not if you don’t let it be.” 

I wasn’t abandoning the Wuss’ Method just yet. You shouldn’t fix something that isn’t broken. “You mean avoid her at all cost?”

“Are you going to be a wuss all your life, Jiwoo?”

“If it makes it easier.” I respond straightforwardly. We’re not trying to reach above and beyond – we’re trying to go for bare minimum. I was always pro-minimalistic. 

“Really? Taking energy avoiding her is a lot easier than just telling her off?”

Was that really that hard to understand? “Yes.”

“Jiwoo, tell me how that goes for you.”

“Sure.” I love being right anyways.

But, you know what I love more? The fact that just by seeing Hanbin would have made Sungmin stay at least ten feet away from me. I wish I had Hanbin’s intimidating aura. Shutting off the phone, I looked down at my wrist for the time – I had a good hour gap before my next class. Lunch it is. The mere thought of it makes me remember lunchtime in high school. I guess I’ll be sitting by myself again. I wouldn’t ever admit it out loud – for various reasons – but it wouldn’t be the same with the quietness.

“Good afternoon.”

I flinched in surprise at the appearance of a certain someone. I would like to make my point again that this school is huge – how do I run into people that I don’t want to see?

Still a magnet, I guess.

“Hello.” I curtly answered while trying to decipher what he wanted.

“Jaewon.” He reintroduced and pointed to himself to remind me of our meeting from Friday night.

“Busy.” I mimicked him and briskly brushed past.

But, there are always more stubborn individuals than others – exhibit one, Jaewon, who started following me anyway.

“You’re alone again today.” He comments.

“So are you.” That explains why he was b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter