Chapter 51: The World is Against Me

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Staring into my locker, I was left with a constant nagging feeling at the pit of my stomach. 

You know, I would be okay if it was one problem but we all know one problem would mean that I am lucky – and I wasn’t. 

Once finally getting all of the books I would need for the day, I shut my locker and turned in the direction of my homeroom. Feeling a familiar presence, I looked to the side and found Hanbin breezing past me.

This is happening for a second time? Though, it felt slightly different this time around. My steps froze while my eyes remained stuck on his back. 

Not a single hello.

Not a single look.

So, he was still upset. 

I had been thinking a lot about the words he left me with. And I haven’t come to a conclusion yet. You know why? Simply because the situation included with him asking me a question and with me answering. 

Did he not like my answer?

Then, why did he ask to begin with?

Simple but possibly, complicated.

It also didn’t help when I had Zico to think about. But, like always, one problem at a time.

***

Seriously?

I’m sure it wasn’t just me because the individual sitting at the end of the table was being real obvious.

“Jiwoo –“

“I know.” I responded to Sanghee before placing my attention back on my food. At least my appetite wasn’t bothered.

Ever since this morning, I was getting the cold shoulder. Hanbin was giving me the damn cold shoulder. I have never gotten this treatment before. Maybe it was because Sanghee never gave it to me. Since if it had been anyone else, I wouldn’t have cared or even noticed it. 

Not once did Hanbin look me in the eye, all day he has been pretending to not see me, and he has avoided all topics related to me. With all the looks Bobby has given me, I’m sure he was dying to know why I had deserved such a response from Hanbin. And like I figured, Hanbin left the table as soon as he was done with his food. He clearly couldn’t stand to be in my presence a minute longer and left the cafeteria. 

What a –

“Jiwoo.” Bobby called for my attention. “So?”

At his vague words, the three other people present at the table looked over at me. 

“And?” I can also be vague if I wanted to be.

“Are you just going to sit there?” He continued while it seemed like the others also wanted to know.

“I have other problems to deal with at the current moment.” When I said, ‘one problem at a time’, I decided Zico’s problem comes first. It seemed the most severe after all.

***

“Don’t worry, Jiwoo. Bobby said he was going to talk to Hanbin.”

Sanghee found herself beside my locker at the end of the day, comforting me. 

“Good.” I curtly answered – now it wasn’t because I didn’t care, my mind was just more consumed with another topic that far needed my attention more. 

“…So what happened?” Sanghee finally asks after gauging my reaction.

“To be honest, I really haven’t had time to think about it.” I responded. 

“Aren’t you worried, Jiwoo?” 

Well, am I? “It depends on why Hanbin has been ignoring me.” But like I said, I haven’t had time to figure that part out. “Until then, I’ll just wait it out.” I looked down at the watch on my wrist for the time and found I needed to go. 

“Wait it out?” Sanghee repeated in shock. “Jiwoo –“

I hurried down the hallway. “Sorry, Sanghee – and don’t worry.” I shot over my shoulder. Hurrying out the building, I quickly made it to the front gates before running into someone.

“Where are you rushing off to?” Bobby successfully got me to stop. 

“I have somewhere to be.” I answered back, hoping he wouldn’t question me now at this very moment.

“Look, I was just with Hanbin.” He begins. “I think you and I need to talk –“ His words were cut off when his eyes caught onto something behind me. He urgently tugged me away. “What is Zico doing here?” 

I remained silent before he looked down at me. He realized a lot quicker than I thought he would.

“You –“

“I got it under control.” I said those words but I don’t actually know how much I believe in it. But, voicing it is a start. “Zico said I help him with something and he lets Hanbin and I off, for good.”

“Are you crazy?” Bobby held onto my hand. I believe it was so I couldn’t leave. 

Unlike the physical spasm he was going through, I was being quite optimistic about the whole thing. “Don’t worry, I’ll come back in one piece.” 

“What if the meeting goes bad?” 

“Run. That has always been the plan.” I gave him a pressed smile before he allowed me to slip away. Was the mastermind starting to have a bit more faith in me now?

Hesitantly moving down the sidewalk and getting farther away from one of my few sanctuaries, I found myself standing before Zico.

“Thought you would cause trouble for me again.” Zico pushed himself off the side of the gates upon my presence. Without waiting a response from me, he began his trek while I followed behind. 

***

“That’s a child.” 

Zico hushed me while I didn’t know why he was acting this way.

“He’s a child.” I repeat once more, annoyed by the situation. “Why am I here?” Why did this big ol’ baddie need me here?

Zico glared in my direction from where he sat beside me but with this sudden situation, it made me question a long-held belief of mine...why was I ever scared of him to begin with? This man was no longer someone that intimidated me. Not in this lifetime. His chance was over. 

He has officially lost his cred.

At this point, even Jibin worries me more. 

“It’s not the boy I’m afraid of.” He clarified quietly as if he was worried the child would overhear him. “It’s his older brother.” 

Not exactly understanding from Zico’s position, I couldn’t seem to care. “You promise you’ll leave me and Hanbin alone this time? Like, for real?”

“Yes.” He mumbled lowly.

The young boy leaves some people behind and makes his way over to take a seat on the couch in front of us (yes, the same damn green couch) and Zico straightens up as if to give off this polite impression that I knew he didn’t have. 

I leaned my chin into my hand, just watching this humorous scene unfold. 

“How are you, Chanwoo?” Zico’s tone turns bright while he greets the middle-school aged boy.

In contrast, Chanwoo didn’t seem like he was in a good mood – why, did he miss his little nap?

“What do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter