Chapter 15: Hanbin's Offer and Bobby's Mystery

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Whoa.

Let’s wait a goddamn minute.

“What are you – “

Before I could even complete my question, Hanbin quickly blurted, “you look a little surprised.” His lips pulled into a contented smile as he directed the statement towards Mino.

And Mino looked as if he was still reeling with shock. 

This wasn’t part of our deal. This wasn’t what I wanted at all. “This isn’t what I said – “

“Well girlfriend, we should get going, right?” 

There it was again. That word, ‘girlfriend’.

I feel like I’m missing something.

But, that’s the thing. I shouldn’t be missing anything. There weren’t supposed to be any surprises. Hanbin smiled down at me while I stared at him in confusion. I had things to say so, no; he wasn’t going to be taking me anywhere.

“We’re not leaving until you clear this –“ 

“Oh, you’re so cute when you get all stubborn.” He cuts me off once again. His hands moved down to hold mine and I clumsily tried to avoid the unwanted touch. With much effort, he forces my hand to clasp his and ends up pulling me completely away from Mino.

The entire time, I struggled against his grip and when he finally had enough of me, he stopped, giving me an opportunity to yank my hands from his. What didn’t Hanbin get? I had a damn bubble that I didn’t want him invading whenever he pleases. But, I’m sure he didn’t care about my bubble.

And also! I didn’t like anyone holding my hand – I hold my own. 

“Why did you call me ‘girlfriend’?” I knew what his plan was but I wanted to know why it had to be that specific plan to get me away from Mino. There are plenty of other ways. I could have given him a whole list!

Hanbin sighs. “Because I don’t know your real name…unless you wanted me to call you ‘red backpack’.”

…What?

How could he not know my name? We were in the same homeroom for God sakes – but that’s beside the point. “No, why did you lie and tell him that?” That was totally unnecessary, not to mention a really big lie to keep up. He obviously didn’t think this through. But, did I expect anything better when it came from Hanbin? Not particularly.

“You wanted me to help.” 

“This wasn’t exactly what I had in mind.” I told him blankly. What I thought was going to happen:

Hanbin was going to be on lookout, helping me avoid Mino. Or, maybe spread a few fake rumors about me that would make Mino dislike me – anything was better than this lie. I knew it was too good to be true when Hanbin agreed. I should have known this was how it was going to turn out. What was really the point in hoping?

“Don’t be so nitpicky about it. I’m helping you like you wanted so be thankful and keep your side of the bargain.” Hanbin had the nerve to order me.

“But why is this the plan?” I am not getting the answer I wanted. 

“Since Mino likes you and I don’t like him, wouldn’t he be really upset right now?”

As I looked at Hanbin’s facial expression, I didn’t understand why he looked so ‘okay’ with all of this. There was always something with him. He always finds some way to benefit.

“Why do you look so content with how this is turning out?” It really felt like Hanbin was gaining something. But what exactly does he gain from ‘dating’ me? There were no privileges or perks – so what is it?

“When he’s upset, I’m happy.”

As simple as that.

I could only stare at him. That was the reason he was offering me? That was the oh-so very important reason he was going to give me? That was it?

“Did you not see how angry he was?” Hanbin’s eyes twinkled with pure joy as his words were followed by his laughter – because I wasn’t laughing. There was nothing humorous about this situation.

“Is this about your competition with him?” I asked in disbelief. He was using me as some pawn to win over Mino in something? 

“Competition?” Hanbin snorted. “I just like him miserable - it's a good look on him.”

In other words, it was for his competition. He’s officially a sadist. Not like I hadn’t come to that conclusion before…“I’m not going to continue this lie.” I told him directly. “You’re going to tell Mino you were joking around.”

A small smile was formed upon Hanbin’s face as he stepped right up to me. If I weren’t busy fighting the urge to step back away from him, I would have taken careful notice that his face was only five inches from mine. But, if I stepped back, that would mean I give in.

So, I gulped and stood in my spot because I was a new tough woman. 

“You’re going to go along with this lie.” He orders me with the same menacing smile on his face.

“There’s no reason why I would want to.” I blatantly tell him. I rather deal with Mino’s crush head on than to lie about this ‘relationship’. I’m weighing the level of misery and being Hanbin’s ‘girlfriend’ takes the cake.

“I heard your best friend is getting bullied.” Hanbin randomly stated.

“So, what?” 

“I’ll get the girls to stop if you continue this ruse.” Hanbin tries to bargain. I open my mouth to deny him once again but once the deal registered in my mind, no sound left my lips.

I ended up looking at him and his eyebrow shot up. 

I know.

I hate myself for hesitating but the deal was tempting. 

Sanghee will be able to finally take a breather if she doesn’t have to deal with Big and her posse any longer. Then maybe also, my slippers will stop going missing and I can finally eat lunch. 

“So?” Hanbin breaks me from my thoughts.

So? I took a moment to think but it didn’t take long before I made the very important decision.

“No.” I emphasized the single word before looking for another route to head back to the bus stop. I am not that stupid to fall for such a thing. I knew better than to allow him to turn this contract back on me.

“No?” He looked surprised as he repeated my answer.

“Yeah, no.” I stated slowly.

He snorted. “You don’t care about your best friend?”

“My best friend told me not to interfere.” I shrugged my shoulders. And the fact about my lunch…I can always pack food. Anything was better than to get involved with Hanbin once again. “So, now you fix this problem or else.” 

Gosh, someone please pat me on the back for a job well done. 

I like this new assertive me. 

Hanbin stared at me – actually he was staring at me unhappily. I don’t think he quite expected me to be so on top of my game. After a few minutes, he sighed after seeing how pleased I was with how everything was turning out. 

“Fine.” He gritted his teeth to finally give me an answer and boy, did that feel so good. All those times that Hanbin made me miserable, this moment almost made up for it.

Almost. 

“Good.” I answered with a pressed smile. “See you tomorrow -

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter