Chapter 25: And It Only Gets Less Lovely

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I watched Hanbin’s expression as his eyes trailed up the monster’s body, demonstrating how large this kid was. I mean, I was still trying to get over my own shock after learning he was only a middle schooler.

“What are you?” Hanbin asked in complete disbelief.

I wondered the same thing. 

Pressing my lips together, I slowly tried to get up from the ground. Moving at the speed of a turtle, I finally moved to my feet, away from the kids behind me and to the spot beside Hanbin.

“We just want Jibin.” The monster pointed at the young boy who also slowly backed away. 

Hanbin gives his little cousin a look before looking back at the giant. “Well, you can’t have him.”

“Is that so?” The monster straightens up and puffs out his chest.

Like, he needed to make himself any bigger. The kid was already a wall.

Normally, I wouldn’t do this but I didn’t want a fight to break out when I was in the vicinity of it. I reached beside me and tugged at Hanbin’s shirt. “I don’t think you can take him.” I only interfered since I figured my safety would be compromised.

“Me?” Hanbin looked back at me with his eyebrow quirked. “You’re taking care of it.” He placed his hand behind my back and nudged me forward.

The guilty Hanbin of yesterday was nowhere to be found and in his place was the normal one. The one that always made me fix situations. His guilt doesn’t last that long, does it? I closed my eyes and scolded myself silently. How did I not know it would turn out this way? I should have just ran when I had a chance. Taking another glance at the monster in front of me, I knew it wasn’t a good idea to approach him at all.

I spun around quickly and grabbed Hanbin’s shirt with both of my fists. “He’s going to mess up my face.” I hissed.

“You’re my fixer.” Hanbin only mumbled back.

“Yeah, yours. This was caused by your cousin.” I nodded towards Jibin. “So, the person who caused it should take responsibility.”

“Yeah but, you made him more upset when you made us both run.” Jibin was quick to place blame on me. 

That brat. I was the one that saved him in the first place! Does no one show gratitude anymore?

“So, this was your fault.” Hanbin concludes – of course. Why did I think my excuses would work? My mistake. “Person who caused it should take responsibility.” He repeats my words from before.

I stared between the two. “You know what?” I thought of something better. “Let’s not take responsibility.” That solves everything, doesn’t it?

“But, you said –“

“Yeah, but taking responsibility complicates things.” I quickly cut Jibin off and gave them a small smile. “I’m not really a confrontational kind of person.” I don’t have those qualities at all, to be more specific and Hanbin should have known by now.

“Stop making me wait.” The monster impatiently calls out from behind. “So, are you giving me Jibin or not?”

Oh gosh, I forgot about him for a second.

“Can you be silent for a moment?” I spun around to asked something little of him. “We’re in the middle of something.” I looked back at Hanbin. “For a moment, let’s remember the main problem...the monster wants Jibin so just give him the boy. It solves everything!” 

Hanbin returns a blank look. The one time I need him to be his usual ruthless self, he jumps ship.

But suddenly after looking at me, Hanbin sighs. “If worse comes to worst, I’ll be right here. Stop being so scared.”

I stared at him, not quite sure if Hanbin was really comforting me or not. But after listening to him, I inhaled a breath before coming face to face with the monster. At the end of the day, the kid is only a middle-schooler…no matter how large he is. “Hey.” I called out and he looked up. “What did Jibin do anyway?”

“He was playing pranks on us all day.” One of the smaller kids replied. “From tripping us to hiding our clothes during gym class.”

I sighed. Jibin does have a thing about clothes. “Jibin, come here.” I motioned him over with my finger.

Carefully, he walks forward and stands beside me.

I placed my hand on his head and made him bow at a 90-degree angle. “Apologize.”

“What?” The students and Jibin exploded in unison.

“Think about it. Even if you beat him up, would it undo all the pranks?” I asked while holding Jibin down. “Of course not. The least he could do is apologize and promise not to do it again.” Though I wouldn’t take his promise seriously – but they didn’t know that.

The three boys in front of me exchanged unsure looks. 

“Jibin, apologize.” I repeated.

“I’m not doing that.” His words were muffled and I bent over to speak beside his ear.

“Which one is more important, your face or your pride?” I gave him an ultimatum.

He took a glance at the giant in front of him and sighed. “I’m sorry, I promise not to do it again.” Though it didn’t sound sincere, it should work.

“We all know how strong you guys are so let him off just this once.” I smiled up at them, more to the monster though. I felt like I needed to be extra nice to him.

“I-I guess then.” One of the boys replied.

I’m sure he had no idea why this situation turned out the way it did but that’s just how magical my words are. “You guys are the best. Really you are.” I kept the smile as I turned away. “We’ll be off then.”

While gripping the back of Jibin’s neck, we walked off and away from them. I can’t believe that worked. I had to look back once more to check if they were actually following us or not.

“Apologize?” Hanbin spun around, causing Jibin and I to stop in our tracks.

“Yeah, apologize?” Jibin was quick to move away from me to stand beside Hanbin. Wow. That was a 180-degree change from before.

I narrowed my eyes at two. “You two make me take care of it and when I do, you’re still not happy with it?” If they were going to complain, then why did I even do anything?

“This is why you get pushed around.” Hanbin simply comments and I stare at him hard.

You know what? He should stop with the remarks. I just got all of us away scratch free and I can’t believe I still get no thanks for what I just did. What just happened was amazing but no one ever appreciates my efforts – if anything, Jibin should be getting scolded for getting into the situation to begin with. 

I sighed, at least my face no longer has a target on it. And it will only be a waste of time if I dragged this on. “I’m going home.”

“Wait a minute.” Hanbin calls out.

“No.” I curtly responded and spun around. I am not standing here a second longer. I rather go look for my ice cream before it could melt any more. 

“Noona.” Jibin appeared smugly in front of me. “Hyung said to stop.” He drawled as if I had forgotten how wimpy he was just moments before. 

I poked his forehead back with my index finger. “Don’t try to act tough since Hanbin is here.” I didn’t hesitate to call him out on his sudden pretentious action.

“Forget it.” Hanbin breathes out. “Jibin, let’s go home. My mom has been waiting for you.” 

“So the lovebirds meet up on the weekends too, huh?” 

The three of us looked over at the source of the voice. Taehyun, was it? The person behind everything Mino says to me. Well, the things that makes me most uncomfortable, to be exact. I tried not to sigh out loud at his appearance. Why am I running into everyone? Was it a special day I didn’t know about? Not to mention, his hands held plastic bags filled with food.

“Jiwoo, are you free?” He called for my attention. 

“Me?” I’m not sure what answer I should give him. Obviously, the one that would cause less trouble for me.

“Yeah, I’m having a little party right now. Wanna come join?” He walks over, beaming. 

Oh, now I know how to respond. “I’m kind of busy.”

“Really?” He looked around, not quite believing wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter