Chapter 24: A Lovely Weekend That Wasn't

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My eyes didn’t once waver as I watched scene after scene on my laptop.

But, that was before the whole love scene broke out and ruined all chances of the show being an ‘okay’ or ‘tolerable’ drama – 

I sigh loudly when the male lead grabs the female lead’s wrist, spinning her around only for him to plant a sloppy one on her. Is that really a thing? I was sure that’s ual harassment. How could he just force himself on her like that? And what is this? Did she just melt into the kiss?

Absolutely impossible.

“What are you watching?” 

I jumped in surprise as Jimin walked into the kitchen. I paused the cringe-worthy scene and gave my older sister my attention from the kitchen table. “Dramas.” I answered curtly.

“You’re spending your weekend watching dramas?” A tone of disbelief coated her words. “I thought you hated them.”

I do. But, I thought maybe I should put more effort into this ruse Hanbin and I had going. “I wanted to give it another try.”

“Uh...huh…” Jimin doesn’t seem convinced but what is so suspicious about me watching these nonsense shows? Absolutely nothing, I’ve done nothing remotely wrong. “You know what’s up with Jiyoon?”

“Is she still stuck in her room?” When I came home yesterday, after professionally avoiding Mino, she didn’t greet me like she normally did and hid in her bedroom.

“I think the stalker issue is getting a tad out of hand.” Jimin leaned against the kitchen’s counter and sipped on her coffee. “Have you seen anyone suspicious lurking around?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Nope.” But then again, I didn’t really try to look out for anyone. 

Jimin breathes out. “I’ll go talk to her again.” She soon leaves me to my embarrassing attempt at gaining some relationship pointers from the drama series. But all I’ve learned is that, first, when he goes in to kiss you, your eyes should be opened wide in surprise. Second, the male lead always comes to your rescue and the love between the two of you blossoms as a result. Third, someone gets sick and dies from cancer…

These are all useless and do you know why?

No one is trying to kiss or be kissed. Hanbin protecting me from Big and her posse won’t be blossoming any love, and cancer is not happening. I’m not ready to die yet.

I sat back into the chair and sighed. I mean, it’s all acting, right? It can’t be that hard to pretend Hanbin is the greatest person on Earth or that he’s the most handsome guy I have seen in my 18 years of life. I do just that, Hanbin is happier and in turn, I’ll be happier. 

Then, it’s solved.

I need a break. I got up from the chair and headed straight for the freezer. Some green tea mochi ice cream sounds great right now. I opened up the fridge and the sight that welcomed me brought slight disappointment. 

Jiyoon killed the boxes again.

I thought for a moment before deciding to grab my jacket. I guess I can cheer up Jiyoon and make my stomach happy if I go pick up some more boxes of the Japanese dessert but because it is the weekend, I have made it my goal to not run into the two most troublesome people in my life –

Hanbin and Mino.

So, I decided to try out another store. That way, I was not walking down that cursed street or passing by that cursed alleyway. 

The walk to the other convenient store was in a better neighborhood and the whole air of the place seemed brighter and…not cursed – a good sign, if I should say so. I stepped into the shop and found the same brand of ice cream I’ve always gotten for Jiyoon and started on the path to go back home when a certain sound interrupted my walk.

It sounded like someone shouting but of course I just can’t accept that. I tried to reason with myself that it was my imagination or it was something else. Any kind of excuse was going to work when I’m in denial. Even the most ridiculous ones.

Someone sprints up to me before swinging around to find a hiding spot behind my back. I looked over my shoulder – 

And whom do I find?

Jibin.

My God.

I asked for a single weekend to myself and God couldn’t make that happen.

But then I realized something. It wasn’t the street or alleyway that was cursed – it was me. It had always been me. “What are you doing?” I tried to put distance between the two of us as quickly as I can. His eyes were set dead straight ahead and he only continued to insist hiding behind me. “Hey – “

“Jibin! Stop hiding!” 

I faced front to find two middle schoolers running towards us. 

He was just like Hanbin and it was simply killing me. I closed my eyes, tired with all of these situations that I’m always forced to be in. 

“Pink , get rid of them.” Jibin mutters from behind me.

Pink ? I’m done. “He’s all yours.” I quickly abandoned Jibin and shoved him forward. I have no interest in protecting the prey and especially when the prey is so rude.

“Hey, how could you do that to me?” Jibin grabbed me once again, his eyes wide while looking up at me. 

“I don’t help rude kids.” I simply responded and tried to shake off his grip but he only held on tighter.

You know what he was like at that moment? Fly paper. He was stuck to me and I don’t think he was planning on letting go.

“Fine, fine. Noona, please help me.” He frantically pleaded – well, isn’t that a huge change in personality. 

“Hey, Jibin. Are you really relying on your noona to help you?” The two kids mocked childishly from where they stood.

“Didn’t Hanbin say to stay out of trouble?” I ignored the children and reminded Jibin of his promise only made the other day. He barely kept it. 

But, why did it matter to me?

Jibin and I have no relation whatsoever. I should just leave and never look back – I won’t even feel guilty about it. I’m the best at that.

“I did, but –“

“Noona, just hand him over to us.” One of the two kids headed to where Jibin and I were standing. 

I looked down at the plastic bag I had. “I mean, the ice cream is going to melt if I stay longer…”

“Noona, it’s just ice cream! Isn’t my life more important?” The 12-year-old before me tightened his grip around my arm. 

“You started trouble so you should deal with the consequences.” I replied ruthlessly. I was no Hanbin and I was going to make this boy deal with the results of his actions. This is what you call discipline. Something that Jibin never seemed to experience. 

“I won’t do it again!” He shook my arm. 

“But, I find this funny.” A small ominous smile tugged at my lips. “Just like you did when you flipped my skirt, remember? Skirt flipper?” The image of his bright smile after he did that the other day only fired me up to be as pitiless as I could.

Oh, this boy is going to learn today.

“I was wrong.” Jibin’s eyes darted

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter