Chapter 39: You're Big Trouble and I'm the Solution

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I continued staring out the window, my eyes catching the back view of Hanbin running back onto the field. Before I could say anything, he had already disappeared so fast to return back to practice.

I guess I never looked at it that way.

I never thought about the backlash Hanbin has to deal with due to all the trouble he causes. I know I said Hanbin doesn’t care but after hearing it for myself, I found it harder to believe in my own words because eventually, it gets tiring to ignore it all. I’ve already seen Sanghee go through it. 

I closed my eyes and dropped my head. A heavy sigh leaves through my lips at the thought. “Goddamn it, Bobby.” I muttered angrily under my breath. This is all because of him that I am getting involved in unnecessary things. It has come to a point where I know I’m making a mistake...but, still doing it anyway.

I can't believe I am feeling bad for the tyrant. This is not how it works. I’m not supposed to feel bad for the perpetrator. 

Other than losing it, is there another legit explanation?

***

Well, mornings with Mino have certainly become casual. I’m starting to get used to this side of the boy – the side that didn’t seem to stutter too much when we manage to exchange words.

“You should bundle up some more, Jiwoo.” Mino shot me a look of concern. 

I tugged the scarf around my neck tighter. “Take your own advice, Mino.” He didn’t have anything else besides his blazer – at least I had a sweatshirt inside mine along with a scarf. “What you’re wearing shouldn’t be enough either.”

Seriously, was fall always this cold?

He smiled at me. “Worried about me?”

“My kindness isn't reserved for one person.” I simply respond. It wasn’t meant to make him feel special but it didn’t seem to wipe the smile off his face. 

“You’re beginning to prepare for the festival, right?” He looked at me in thought. “Since, this year’s would be held at your school.”

“They’re making us stay after school until the end of next week.” You can nearly tell just how tired I am with all of it already – even though it had only been three days, I was certainly done with it all. So, I have resorted to counting down the days until next weekend. I’ll be as free as a bird after the festival.

“Wanna go somewhere after you’re done today?” Mino asked coolly.

His tone was so calm and collected that it took me a second to piece my thoughts together. “Mino, I can’t return your feelings.”

“I like you anyway.” He responded.

If my words were like routine, his retort was just as typical. 

“I guess I need to find a new response.” I sighed tiredly. I took a glance at the boy beside me and for a moment, I thought of Hanbin and him. Did Hanbin miss this kind of interaction with Mino? You know, the kind of interaction that had less animosity and violence. Yet, at the same time, did I actually want them hanging out? I’m not so sure if it’ll be a good thing.

“So, should we meet today then?” He turned to show me his small smile. “Until you find a new response, that is.”

Mino was getting better at this whole communicating thing. “You’re going to have to find me first.” I guess it’s time for my sneaking skills to make an appearance once again.


***

As I made my way up the path towards the school building and walked in through the entrance, nothing felt out of place. Along the hallways, everyone was acting like how they usually would. All in all, it felt like a normal morning…possibly, even a great morning.

Or so I thought.

Someone came up from behind and grabbed my good arm gently, quickly ushering me forward. In surprise, I looked to my side to see Bobby. Well technically…this was also part of a normal morning.

Though, not part of a great morning.

Again, I am led up the stairs towards the school’s rooftop. Now, Bobby was a boy that was careful with his actions – very detailed…except for when it came to checking the goddamn weather. Instinctively, I tightened the scarf around my neck and checked to see if my blazer was buttoned while he pushed open the door. The cold air that I had left behind minutes ago when I walked into the building, once again, greeted my exposed skin.

But something else doesn’t go unnoticed by me. This time, our meeting was slightly different. It wasn’t just us today because standing there waiting for us was Jinhwan – who was shivering as he attempted to keep himself warm. 

“I really don’t like bad news in the morning.” I commented lightly after not knowing what this whole meeting is going to be about and the thought that I was gathered here with these two didn’t comfort me either.

“There’s big trouble –“

“Hold on, let me prepare myself first.” I placed my hand up as soon as those words left Jinhwan’s lips. So, how bad could this be? Whenever it came to Hanbin, I’ve dealt with worse…strange how I knew it was going to be about Hanbin. “Okay, begin.” I sighed. It’s like my life is suddenly revolving around him.

…When did I let that happen?

“Some kids thought it would be funny if they stole Hanbin’s sneakers.” Bobby was the one to answer this time.

Why would it be fun to mess with Hanbin? I didn’t understand that logic.

“And Jiwoo, you should know better than anyone else regarding Hanbin’s temper.” Jinhwan added. “If those shoes aren’t returned, Hanbin is going to wreak havoc.” 

Wow. Straight to the point.

You see, Jinhwan wasn’t exaggerating when he said Hanbin ‘is going to wreak havoc’ – Hanbin would do just that if it meant finding his shoes and beating up those responsible for taking them. That’s why I didn’t understand where the fun would come in.

“The fun is going to be short lived.” I mumbled. So, Hanbin, the big bully, isn’t exempt from these annoying situations either. But then again, I have also realized that this is just another form of backlash Hanbin faces. “…You want me to look for them?”

“Well, that was easier than I thought.” Bobby remarked amusingly.

Right, this time he didn’t have to threaten me. “I figure why make it hard for myself…and I can help Hanbin out this once.” As I stood here before the two boys, I couldn’t help thinking how my view of Hanbin has changed. I felt bad for the kid.

And instead of a tyrant, why do I keep envisioning Hanbin as a small little pitiful boy? That’s so sad. Why am I thinking about sad images of Hanbin? 

This isn't good. I didn’t understand the risks for getting involved.

Looking up at Bobby, the smile he gave me in return distracted me from my thoughts as I tried to figure o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter