Chapter 53: Time is a Valuable Asset

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Never in my life did I not have something to say (dealing with Bobby is an exception). I lived to have the last word but with the bombshell Hanbin just tossed at me, I have found myself in quite a position.

“You’re telling me…we like each other?” 

“Did I stutter?” Hanbin shot back while waiting for a more acceptable response from me. 

I pressed my lips together – this is getting difficult. “…I’m going to need some time.” I’m going to need time to process all of this. I’m not sure what to be surprised about – the fact that Hanbin finally saw through what Bobby and I have kept hidden or…oh, wait. 

I do know.

My feelings. That doesn’t make a bit of sense to me.

My feelings. I have feelings? For Hanbin?

“Time?” Hanbin rubbed his face upon hearing my answer. “Bobby told me I needed patience with you.” And how right Bobby was. “I’ll let you come to your senses on your own.” He straightened up on his feet and placed his hand out.

I reached and held onto it while he pulled me up to my feet. I was not standing here for another second. It's impossible, I can’t think in his presence. “I’ll be going.” I casually stated before walking away from him. 

“…Be safe getting home.” He added from behind me.

“I told you not to make me paranoid.” I shoot over my shoulder and I can hear Hanbin let out a sound of frustration from where he stood.

“God, you’re killing me.” Hanbin managed to yell before I turned the corner and out of his sight.

I was so absentminded that I had forgotten about the cold the moment I stepped foot outside the school building. Before I could get to the stairs to meet the pathway, I quickly caught sight of Sanghee standing there on the side waiting for me.

“I thought you left with Donghyuk.” I muttered.

She shrugged before sending me a smile. “You looked troubled earlier so I decided to stay.”

“What if I had left?” I hope she thought it through.

“I saw you running off somewhere before choosing to wait – I’m not dumb, Jiwoo.” She retorted before walking over and slinging her arm around my shoulder. “I’ve been very tolerant.” She stated. “Why don’t you tell me what’s been going on?”

She had to get me at this moment, didn’t she? Where I was most vulnerable? Where I had no motivation to keep my lips sealed? God, I’ve gotten weak.

“Promise me you won’t be mad.” I gave her a small chuckle. “But, you missed quite a lot.”

I didn’t know where to start but decided the beginning of the school year was the way to go. The more I revealed, the more I noticed the change in Sanghee’s expression – it was somewhat…darkening. For putting up with me all this time, I honored Sanghee with the whole truth and nothing but the truth. 

“And he was trying to convince me a while ago that I like him.” I ended with a laugh yet, why wasn’t Sanghee joining me? She must find it hilarious too.

“You –“ Sanghee stared at me with agape. “All this time –“

Whoa. “Watch your blood pressure.” Sanghee grabbed a nearby pillow on my couch and clutched it tightly in her hands. I placed my own two out to calm her. “Please don’t rip it, it’s innocent.” 

As you would know it, the lies had been piling up since the moment the school year had begun and it took the whole bus ride home to start it and another two hours at my house to finish it. 

Sad, isn’t it?

I’m always reminded of my lying habit that I had slowly picked up and perfected these past few months. 

“We are a few months away from graduating and you only tell me now?” She tried her best to keep her tone low. “I had no idea.” I watched as her anger slowly dissipated. “I can’t believe you got involved with Hanbin over Sungmin – I told you I could handle it. I should have known how she suddenly just stopped bugging me.”

“It seemed like a good idea at the time.”

“And then you had a chance to walk away and you get involved with Hanbin again with Jiyoon unnie’s stalker issue.”

“Yeah, but he didn’t actually help –“

She cut me off when she remembered something else. “This recent Zico problem…you got involved with him because of Hanbin, didn’t you?”

“I mean, I benefit too.” I argued back.

“Nuh uh, Jiwoo.” Sanghee placed her finger up to stop me. “You agreed the moment Zico added that condition – you just said it yourself.” 

“I also said how Hanbin and I are friends –“

“Does Hanbin know?” Sanghee ignored my words before asking.

“He heard it from Bobby.”

“I can’t believe Bobby is so evil.” Sanghee said to the side before focusing back once more. “And what did Hanbin say?”

“He got mad at me.” Which isn’t anything new. Though, I think he just likes scolding me. It gives him a responsible air that he usually doesn’t have and I guess I can indulge him in it every once in a while. 

In a split second, Sanghee surprises me when she leans forward, closing the distance between us. “So, Hanbin sincerely likes you – like, not playing pretend like you two have been.”

“According to him.” I mumbled.

“And you?” 

“Sanghee, I just said how he’s a friend – “

“A friend doesn’t get jealous when he hangs out with another girl.” She reasoned.

I scoffed, hearing that same thing coming from my best friend. “That’s all subjective.” I don’t think it was jealousy, I really think I was just annoyed with him.

“So, you’ll be okay if Hanbin stopped liking you?” Sanghee’s eyebrow rose as she questioned me.

I shrugged. “Why wouldn’t I be?” That’s entirely up to him.

“So, you’ll be okay if he suddenly liked someone else?” She continued her interrogation. “…Someone else like, Woochan?”

“Sanghee –“

“Or when he stops talking to you and there is no more interaction between the two of you?” 

Her question only drew silence from me. 

“You know –“ Sanghee continues. “That’s how I knew I like Donghyuk.”

I hesitated for a moment. ”…Go on.”

“After you lied and lied to me and disappeared, Donghyuk was the only one around. Thanks to that, we got closer.” She explained. “One day, I realized that I didn’t want our closeness to stop and wanted it to continue, to even grow – isn’t that how you feel about Hanbin?” 

Again, I didn’t know how to respond.

“Just think of it this way – if you were to have feelings for someone, who is the first person that comes to mind?” Sanghee asked once more. 

Hanbin.

“Simple, isn’t it?” She added with a grinned.

Wait a minute. “Don’t you think this is all brainwashing?” I blurted. “You all tell me one thing and I just start to believe it.” I see their trick. 

I see through it all.

“These feelings just don’t appear out of nowhere, Jiwoo.” Sanghee softly stated. “They must have been there this entire time – you just didn’t notice them since you’re such a newbie. Though, I will admit you two started out as friends – but that can always change.”

…All of this is getting tiring.

“Jiwoo, don’t you want to be like those couples in the dramas with Hanbin?”

“Not particularly.” My opinions on dramas haven’t changed. That was a bad question on S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter