Chapter 37: Hanbin-Fanatic

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now that I knew Hanbin and Mino’s story…where do I come in? The notes on the blackboard meant nothing to me while my mind worked around figuring out what Bobby wanted from me specifically – or at least, I wanted to know what my role was. 

So far, I have only enabled Hanbin to further escalate the problem between him and Mino…and helped with some of his side troubles. But, that couldn’t be it. That was too simple. I turned my head to see Bobby focusing on copying down notes into his notebook. He is clearly hiding something and is so close-lipped about it. Getting it out of him will be nearly impossible.

The thought of all the effort that would take to squeeze a little info out of him is so not worth it. 

How much easier would it be if Bobby’s thoughts were written on his face.

***

Before I could even arrive at my usual lunch table, the two sitting there immediately catch my attention. Maybe it was their obvious suspicious whispering to one another that did it.

Not expecting me so soon, they jumped at my appearance.

“Jiwoo! Uh – you’re here.” Sanghee attempted to sound casual as I took a seat across from the two. Anyone who had eyes knew they were hiding something from me. It’ll just be a few minutes before they would blurt out whatever it is.

I looked at the two in front of me. A little push would do it. “What are you two mumbling over here?” 

“Sanghee, I think we should tell her.”

Wow, not even a whole minute before Donghyuk hinted that I was right in my suspicions. And due to his sudden remark, it earned him a light smack on the arm from Sanghee. 

“Donghyuk.” She scolded him. In turn, Donghyuk clamped his mouth shut allowing Sanghee to take care of it. “I don’t want you to freak out…” Sanghee slowly begins. “But, I heard some people saying some very…mean things about Hanbin.”

That’s what it was? “I thought it was something more serious by the way you two were acting.” I snorted.

“Aren’t you being too casual about this, Jiwoo?” This time Donghyuk wondered aloud after hearing response.

“So what if people are saying ‘mean’ things?” They were most likely true anyway – I’m only being honest. “Hanbin is not going to cry over it.” If anything, I hope they don’t get caught by him. Hanbin doesn’t cry…he’ll just use his fists.

“But, doesn’t it make you mad that they’re talking about someone you like in that way?” Sanghee couldn’t seem to understand my nonchalant attitude. “I certainly would.” 

“Should it?” I nearly laughed at how serious she was. Is there something wrong with me since I really don’t see the problem? “I think Hanbin is used to it.” There’s no way he hasn’t heard about his own rumors. “And I don’t think he cares.” So, why would I? 

Sanghee sighs. “You’re really cold.” 

It’s been awhile since I last heard Sanghee call me that. 

“Is that how you would respond if you heard people insulting me?” Sanghee suddenly questions.

“Your case is different.” I responded curtly.

“How so? You care about me and you care about Hanbin – so what is different?” 

Easy.

I don’t care about Hanbin – that’s why it’s different…but, I obviously couldn’t say that out loud. “Hanbin can take care of himself.” Now knowing Hanbin has a bit of a human side (which is still quite a shocker), I did think carefully of my words before responding. Even after doing so, I didn't think the situation required my attention.

In the end, we were only contract acquaintances. We didn’t interfere in each other lives unless it was part of the contract. So, dealing with people who is insulting Hanbin isn’t part of my contract description – if anything, I fix the situations that result from him hitting people who insult him. That’s the main point out of all this.

Something Sanghee wouldn’t understand unless I told her and, that clearly isn’t happening.

Hearing my answer, she simply clicks her tongue and doesn’t add anything further. 

Well, at least she dropped it. 

***

“Jibin said you owe him ice cream.” Hanbin mentions while readying my backpack for me at my locker for the end of the day. I wonder if it became habit or if Hanbin really still felt guilty. Strange guy. 

It’s still bizarre seeing the tyrant so harmless. 

The guilt must still be eating at him… I mean, I even called it even and yet, here he is, still packing my backpack for me – actually, not only that but he is still doing other random tasks for me throughout the day.

So harmless and hilarious.

“You disappeared last time.” Hanbin continued.

That’s right. Mino stole me the last time.

“I’ll take him today.” I didn’t mind it too much.

“Then, you’ll pick him up from school too?” Hanbin questioned. Did I sense a little surprise there?

“Yeah, why not.” Jibin was my little special project. A little project that I’m going to be responsible for so that he wouldn’t become a tyrant. I mean, he’s a little tyrant now but it’s important that he doesn’t turn into a bigger tyrant. You know what I mean? I’m looking out for the world.

“So…that’s it?” Hanbin didn’t seem to believe how easy it was while he handed me my backpack. “You’re not going to make me speak nicer to you or anything?”

“Nope, that’s it.” I offered so there was no need for that. Even though, it might be a little fun, now that I’m thinking about it. I grabbed my backpack from him and slipped my good arm through one of th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter