Chapter 20: Pretending is A Lot Harder Than You Think

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I told you I wasn’t a fixer.” And, I’m pretty sure he remembers.

“Well, I’m not someone who helps bully victims either.” Hanbin responds and it renders me speechless.

That’s because he’s the freaking bully.

“So, you’re going to wait for me after school.” Hanbin fills in the silence.

I took my seat once more. “Why can’t you play nice?” Just for once, Hanbin. Why can’t Hanbin just strive to bring people happiness? I wish God made him with a little bit more rainbows and sprinkles. 

Hanbin was amused by my question. “It’s always better this way.”

Right. I forgot Hanbin had a far different definition of fun than I. His definition of fun includes making trouble and having me clean it up. 

So proud of him.

He’s becoming more and more of a tyrant every day.

***

“Okay, so I thought about it.” Sanghee appeared out of nowhere at the end of the day and stole my attention while I was at my locker. “I’m sorry for the way I reacted.” 

“…You’re forgiven?” Actually, I should be the one to say ‘sorry’ for all the lies I keep telling her.

She smiled at my response. “So, when am I officially meeting your boyfriend?”

Never. “Uh –“ I continue to place my books away into my locker. “I don’t think that’s necessary…”

Sanghee stared at me in shock. “Are you kidding?”

Another thing I didn’t take into account. Sanghee’s nosy behavior. “He’s not really a people’s person.” And isn’t that quite an understatement. Hanbin is not only not a people’s person, he also likes beating them up.

Sanghee snorted. “Jiwoo, you’re not preventing this meeting.”

I sighed. I should have looked up relationship tips when I had the chance. “I’m not preventing it…I just think we can act like it’s not a big deal.” 

Sanghee froze and just stared at me. “Not a big deal?”

I carefully nodded my head to confirm my words.

“You, who have never had a boyfriend or showed any interests in boys, suddenly have a boyfriend and it’s not a big deal?” 

And I’m sure it was a rhetorical question Sanghee asked but I responded anyway. “Exactly.”

“Fine.” Sanghee’s tone suddenly changes and I know immediately that something was up. I watch her turn away but she didn’t head in the direction of her locker, she goes down the opposite. “If I want anything done, I should do it myself.”

I gaped and rushed after her. Before I could stop her, she had already met Hanbin and his two friends in their path. I stared from behind. Things have just gotten complicated – my mistake, it’s gotten worse because life already became complicated the moment Hanbin and Mino entered it.

Sanghee clears . “I know we started off on the wrong foot but I’m willing to let bygones be bygones if you also agree.” She smiled up at him. “I mean, since you’re dating my best friend and all.”

Hanbin looked from Sanghee to me who was a few steps back away from them. I’m sure he could see the look of horror on my face because he stiffened up as well.

“Of course.” He answered simply. 

“Good.” She smiled up at him. “I’m Sanghee, I hope we’ll get along.” I watched as she went on to introduce herself to Bobby and Jinhwan as well.

Between the two of us, Sanghee was always the most outgoing one. So, I’m not surprised. But, she made a grave mistake to get involved. She’s in Hanbin’s misery radius now.

I’m sorry I couldn’t save you, Sanghee.

I mean, I tried but you’re so stubborn.

Hanbin left her with the other two and walked up to me. “Mino is outside right now.”

And, the dreaded moment has come. “What do you need me to do?” 

Instead of an answer, I got my hand grabbed instead. “Be a loving girlfriend.”

I gaped at him as he tugged me along. “Wait a minute, I’m not ready.” I didn’t even have time to prepare myself. At that moment, my heart wasn’t beating fast because of Hanbin holding my hand, it was beating fast because I was worried. 

I don’t think I can do this.

“Just make it believable. What’s so hard about it?” Hanbin didn’t even slow down his steps. The looks that we were receiving as we walked down the pathway didn’t even bother me since my mind was working at a hundred miles per hour when we finally made it to the gate.

I looked up and automatically froze. It was almost like stage fright. 

“Why is Jiwoo here?” Mino questions.

Yeah, why the hell do I need to be here? I want to leave. I was supposed to give Mino time to think about his mistaken feelings.

“Jiwoo?” Hanbin blurts in confusion and then it hit him. “Right. Jiwoo.” He cleared his throat as he looked down at me. “We’re kind of inseparable.” 

He forgot my damn name, didn’t he?

Mino looked down at our clasped hands. “Is that so?” 

“Right, Jiwoo?” Hanbin looks at me for support.

“…Right.” The look he gave me after was one of warning. What? Did I answer wrong? 

“The talk was only going to be between the two of us.” Mino placed his attention back on Hanbin.

“It’s just Jiwoo.” Hanbin interjects. “She can hear whatever you want to say.”

Mino thinks about it for a moment before deciding against it. “You know what? Forget it.” He breathes out. I looked up and he met my eyes. “Jiwoo, I thought about what you said yesterday and I don’t think my feelings are confused.”

I sighed. This didn’t go as planned. It should have taken him longer.

It takes Hanbin a moment before he caught on. “You two met up yesterday?“

More like Mino found me sitting in the parlor. “…Not exactly.” I mumbled quietly.

“Don’t worry about it, Hanbin.” Mino answers. “Just know that I won’t make the same mistake a second time.”

Oh right. There was history between the two….wait, but what mistake?

“So, you’re going to keep chasing after my girlfriend?” I know Hanbin was carr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter