Chapter 46: Nothing is Permanent

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At the exact same moment I woke up, I wasn’t sure if I was still drowsy or not but the thought that I was out of my mind was plausible. Because finally, my sensibility came back and I’m not too sure what I said yesterday at the end of the festival was really a good thing. 

Probably not – I concluded.

I don’t meddle and my idea to hang out with Mino and Hanbin was clearly meddling. I am meddling in their immature affairs. 

I reached for my phone and quickly dialed a contact. “Hello? Sanghee?”

“Why are you calling now, Jiwoo?” 

Like me, from the tone of her groggy voice, Sanghee had just been woken up. “Gather everyone.”

“Who are we gathering so early in the morning?” She groans. “And what for?”

“Our lunch table.” I’m getting crazier at each passing second. “We’re meeting up at 4 today.”

“Everyone?”

“Everyone.”

***

Well, the fact that we were outnumbered didn’t make me feel any better. It was 2:9, girls to boys. If I had to make a plan B – I would say, Sanghee and Donghyuk can take on all of them while I ran to get help if somehow this meeting turns a little physical.

“Jiwoo.” Sanghee whispered over to me. “This is a recipe for disaster.”

Oh, I already know. Ever since Bobby and I began hiding the truth from Hanbin – I have started to feel bad for the boy immensely – much more than I did before. Hanbin has turned from a sad little boy into a sad little puppy and everyone loves puppies and if the puppies were sad, everyone would also be sad. That’s the best way I can describe this situation and the motivation as to why I was here. 

Sanghee and I fell back at the end of the group while Hanbin and Mino continued fighting over the sidewalk – really, they could get into an argument about just anything. 

“Stop breathing the same air as me.” Hanbin barked at Mino.

“I hope you choke on it.” Mino only retorted. 

See, what did I just say?

We barely have met up minutes ago and before we could arrive at our destination, they seem like they’re going to hurt each other.

Bobby soon slipped back to walk on the other side of me. “This was your idea?”

“Don’t say how strange it is…I know it is.” 

“Just wondering – what did you expect when you came up with it?” Bobby stumped me with his question.

I looked up while thinking of an answer. “…Not much. I thought I would – you know what? This is my plan and I’m not telling you.” I turned away from the boy who has done nothing but kept his own scheme under wraps. 

But, for all your information – I thought I would jumpstart some things…like, for example, helping Hanbin solve this issue between him and Mino. I’m giving the sad puppy Hanbin a chance because he is so darn incompetent and my kindness urged me to provide some of my brainpower – I had some extra that I can donate.

…But so far, I’m convinced I didn’t think this through. Hanbin is oblivious to my real intention as to why I was inviting everyone out to hangout and has been ruining the chance.

Maybe it doesn’t help that Mino’s usual gang was with him and they were clearly egging him on and Jinhwan was too soft spoken to do anything about Hanbin. I thought of Bobby and wonder why he doesn’t step in, I’m sure he could do something about it. But, something tells me Bobby maybe secretly enjoys it all.

He was a bystander for a reason.

Once arriving at the karaoke parlor and once getting through the disagreements on which room had better acoustics (like they really know) and how much time we should be spending together (a very sensitive topic), we finally paid for our room.

And I couldn’t have been happier that we got over the first part of our gathering. It was pretty much done, if I really thought about it. Now, all I have to do is sit back and watch.

…I’m not a party-pooper who wants this whole hangout to end…just kidding, yeah I am.

Like it was expected, I was squished between Hanbin and Mino, either not wanting the other to have the advantage while Donghyuk remained stuck by Sanghee’s side in order to block any possible conversation Jinhwan wanted to innocently initiate toward the girl. 

“Let me go first.”

“Why are you hogging it already?”

A tug-of-war over the control for the machine began in front of me. I sighed before reaching out to grab it from Hanbin and Mino.

“Why do you two manage to fight over everything?” I just couldn’t take it anymore and broke my silence. Mind you, it has only been 15 minutes since we have initially met up. I reached out one hand to knock the both on their heads. “Do you need me to help you compromise over something as little as this?” I kept my tone calm when all I wanted to do was scream at the both of them.

The two stared at me, clearly wanting to say ‘yes’ but not wanting to hurt their pride by voicing it out loud.

“We’re adults, aren’t we?” Maybe not them but I definitely am. “In these situations just rock, paper, scissors.” 

And that is how you solve it. 

But, I should have known better that this would lead to other problems. Peace is only temporary when it came to them. 

While the two continued their antics in front of the karaoke screen that was now finally playing some music and with others singing along with the lyrics, Bobby took a seat beside me – I’m dying to know what he wanted to say.

“Is he getting suspicious?”

“No.” Hanbin hasn’t once acted strange or gave any indications of seeing through Bobby’s influence. “Are you happy that your plan is still intact?” I questioned him without turning to face him. Recently, whenever the topic is brought up - either by Bobby or when I quietly think about it myself - feelings of irritation always follow.

“You’re not okay with it?”

“It has nothing to do with me.” I retorted. “I’m not the person at focus.”

“Then you shouldn’t feel any way towards what I did. But, why do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter