Chapter 55: Life's Detour

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why aren’t you home?” I questioned while watching him come down the sidewalk. It’s kind of late to be wandering around. Immediately after school, Hanbin was nowhere to be found so I thought I was let off the hook but I guess I shouldn’t assume. 

“What kind of people are in bed now?”

“Normal people.” I responded without hesitation. “Or is this another one of your immature tactics?” Now that I have voiced it, it’s becoming quite the believable possibility.

Hanbin comes to a stop in front of me and stuffs his hand into his pockets. “You came out anyway.”

I eyed him while wrapping my arms around my self to ward off the cold. “What other options did you think you left me with?” It was come outside or he was going to break into my home. 

…But, I wasn’t entirely against the idea of meeting up with him. All he had to do was ask instead of threatening – the thought made me silently laugh. Hanbin was always extreme in his ways. 

My response only spurred a small smile to appear on his lips like he saw the contradiction in my words and thoughts. 

“Hanbin, you know how much I don’t like the cold.” I commented, urging him to fill in the silence. 

“You said you needed time.”

“Yes, I did.” I nodded. Many times, but was it only now that Hanbin understood those very words?

“How long are you going to need?” 

I took a moment to sincerely think about his question. “Why are you in such a rush?”

“Doesn’t it make sense that I am?” He retorted before sighing. “In this situation, what do you think I should do?”

Well, Sanghee did warn me not to take too long. It’s unfair to the boy. “I want to make sure everything is solved first.” 

“What needs to be solved?” Hanbin questions. “I like you, you like me. What happens between two people who like each other? They obviously date.”

“I have never admitted that.” I corrected him. “And your problem with Mino.”

“But, I just –“ Hanbin begins before cutting himself off. “All I have to do is make up with Mino?”

“Stop using this as motivation.” I chided him. “Do it because you want to.” 

“That’s not the point right now.” He waved off my words. “If I can get that done –“

“Then we can talk more on this subject.” I motioned between the both of us. Seeing that he was content with my answer, I reached for my gate. “I’m going inside. Have a good night, Hanbin.”

“Good night, Jiwoo.”

***


“I brought them all, Jiwoo.” Sanghee came into my living room, beaming. Hanging from her shoulder was a tote bag filled with every drama title she has ever owned in her short 18 years of life. 

Which was many. I wanted to be sure to emphasize. 

Now, on a different day or on any other weekend, this would be a total and complete nightmare for me but just for today – “Good, let’s get started.”

“I never thought I would see the day.” She squealed and quickly moved for my DVD player. “Which one should I play first?” She shuffled through the large bag that held endless choices on this Saturday.

“For my sake, let’s go with the easier one to swallow.” I have to build tolerance first. 

“Then, this.” She lifted the DVD case to show me the specific drama poster. The colorful art was enough to urge reluctance. I may have to rethink about this risk I’m taking. “I promise it’s not that mushy. You can do it.”

“What do I have to lose?”

“And what would you gain after this?” Sanghee shrugged her eyebrows suggestively before placing the disk into the player. After pressing ‘play’, she returned to sit beside me on the couch. “I can’t believe you’re willing to do this.”

“I must be nuts.” There is no other reason.

“This crush on Hanbin is doing you well.” She commented brightly. 

“You’re mistaken.” Did Sanghee think this drama session is because Hanbin had helped me realize the wonderfulness of love dramas? Of course not. “This is all for research.”

“…Research?”

“I need to know when my life took an unforeseen detour.” That’s all. I need to find out why or how these ‘feelings’ happened. Sanghee said they didn’t come out of nowhere then I need to figure out when they started. 

Maybe I can still save myself. 

“Are you calling your crush on Hanbin, a ‘detour’?” Sanghee asked in disbelief.

“I didn’t plan for it – it’s a detour.” Did she need me to explain further? I would be happy to oblige.

“And you’re going to use my dramas as reference?” She further asked while my eyes remained on the scenes unfolding before us on the television set.

“Yeah, in a way.”

Sanghee pursed her lips in thought. “I mean, I guess that works.” She nodded her head before questioning me. “So about this ‘detour’…how would you describe it?”

I thought for a moment, pulling my attention from the screen briefly.

“Not as unpleasant as I had originally thought.” I’m still alive, aren’t I?

***


My brain is ruined.

If anyone were to crack open my skull to take a look at what my brain would hold, it would closely resemble Sanghee’s. A weekend full of dramas was enough to drain me completely. How am I going to last the rest of the week? 

And the people standing in front of me just made everything about ten times worse.

“What kind of gangster are you?” I mumbled as I came to a stop in front of my school gates. “What kind of gangster doesn’t keep promises?”

“Look –“ He tiredly ran his hand through his hair. Seems like someone wasn’t used to waking up so early. Without adding another word, he moved aside to present to me a familiar face.

“Good morning, noona.” The boy calmly greeted me with a small smile upon his lips.

“Chanwoo.” The vice president of Hanbin’s fanclub was also here. “What a pleasant surprise so early in the morning.” I pressed my lips together, urging it to form a smile because the last thing that would appear on my face is the very expression I was forcing myself to have at the current moment. 

“I’m here for Hanbin hyung.” His smile grows as soon as he mentions the boy.

My eyes moved towards Zico who looked like he wanted nothing more than to get this situation over and done with. 

I’m with ya, man.

I looked around for a moment. “I’m not sure where Hanbin is.” 

“Then call him.” Zico ordered through his gritted teeth.

Whoa. Someone’s cranky.

Was I like that when I was avoiding Hanbin? What a nightmare it must have been to deal with me. Seeing that this situation would only get better if I speed things up, I pulled out my cellphone. Hearing him pick up and before I could open my lips to hurry him here, his voice appeared from behind.

“Looking for me?” Hanbin came to a stop next to me.

“Hyung.” Chanwoo stepped up and I swear I could see the little pink hearts in his eyes.

Gosh, he’s not even bothering to hide it. 

“This is Chanwoo.” I introduced the boy before Hanbin could get careless with his words like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter