Chapter 49: Let's Test Our Adaptability

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Merry Christmas!”

Here comes the cheers and yes, I am terribly ecstatic if you all couldn’t already tell.

“Merry Christmas!” 

It didn’t come from me but just know that I felt the same way as my two sisters who returned Sanghee’s bright greeting on this early day. They were the only ones who were physically capable of matching my best friend’s passion. 

“Come in, Sanghee.” Jimin ushered her inside to avoid the blistering cold. 

Sanghee’s body shivered as she was met with the warm atmosphere within our home. Shaking off her jacket and scarf, she took a seat at our kitchen table, joining our breakfast.

“Jiwoo, can’t you show a bit more enthusiasm?” Jimin joked while poking fun at me.

I stopped eating for a moment to respond. “What? You can’t see it?” I was already bursting at the seams with enthusiasm. They always want so much from me.

Sanghee chuckled. “She’s a Grinch every year.” 

At her comment, I grinned just to show that I accepted her joke good-humoredly. 

In return, she placed a gift bag upon the kitchen table. “Maybe this gift will encourage your heart to grow.”

“That is a health concern and thank you, Sanghee.” I smiled before handing over a smaller gift box, wrapped in shiny red paper with a ribbon as the finishing touch. “Merry Christmas.” 

Her smile brightens whilst unable to contain her excitement over the small prepared gift. She didn’t waste a single second before ripping the wrapping paper to find a beautiful gold watch gently placed within the case. 

Sanghee gasped at the sight. “Thanks, Jiwoo.”

“Thank Jimin unnie.” I snorted. “I get my allowance from her.”

Though that’s what I said, Sanghee still launched her arms out to pull me into a crushing hug. “Thank you for saving up your allowance.” She abruptly released me and pushed her gift to me. “Open yours.”

I carefully looked into the bag before digging through the tissue paper. Pulling out the folded clothes, I couldn’t have been more thankful. “Sweaters!” Anything to combat the cold is appreciated. “Thanks, Sanghee – you never fail me.”

“Glad you like it.” 

“Are you just celebrating with your family today, Sanghee?” Jiyoon asked.

“Tonight we are, later on I’m meeting up with someone.” Sanghee replies with a small smile.

“Who?” Jiyoon pried, a knowing smirk already making it’s way upon her lips.

“Donghyuk.” I took the liberty to answer. 

“Boyfriend?” Jiyoon teasingly smiled.

“In between.” I repeated Sanghee’s answer that she gave me the day we went to the ice rink.

Getting shy from our comments, Sanghee diverted the attention over to me. “What about Hanbin? You’re not spending it with him?”

Jimin and Jiyoon looked at me expectantly…yet, I didn’t know what answer they were waiting for.

“No.” I bluntly answered and saw their dissatisfied looks.

I guess that’s not the answer they wanted after all. But to be honest, they always set themselves up for disappointment. 

Seeing how I wasn’t any fun, Jimin and Jiyoon went back to ask Sanghee about her in-between friend, Donghyuk. Taking this moment where the focus wasn’t on me, I went back to my breakfast only for it to be interrupted by my ringing phone.

Still busy with their boy talk, the three people in front of me didn’t even give me a slight glance. And seeing the contact on the phone, I couldn’t help thinking how often he was calling me now.

“Do you not give me a break even on the holidays?” 

“Merry Christmas to you too, Grinch.”

Was everyone aware of my nickname? “You’re lacking originality.”

Ignoring my comment, Hanbin asked, “What are you doing?”

“I’m spending Christmas with my sisters and Sanghee.” And trying my best to finish my breakfast.

“Can you step out for a bit?” 

His question prompted a strong dislike from me. “What for?” Why would I go out into the cold?

“Can you or not?” Hanbin snapped.

“It depends on what it is.” I need to gauge its importance to decide whether or not it’s worth it to leave my house. 

“Jiwoo.”

Oh, my God, the pressure. “Fine, fine. Just because today’s Christmas.” Everyone deserves a little kindness every now and then. “Where?”

“My house.” 

Okay, no. This is an exception. “Why would I want to go all the way there?” 

With Hanbin’s unreasonable request consuming my attention, I didn’t realize that the three busy bodies that were still in the room have started to focus their eyes on me. Before Hanbin could give me an answer to explain his insanity, Sanghee took the phone from me and gave him an answer in my stead.

“She’ll see you soon, Hanbin.” And proceeded to hang up.

“He wants to spend time with you, why are you so tactless, Jiwoo?” Jiyoon scolded me.

Me? Tactless? Hanbin is tactless for making me walk all the way to his house. 

“Don’t make the boy wait.” Sanghee adds before tugging me from my seat.

“But, my breakfast.” I look at my unfinished plate on the table.

“Eat it later.”

***

Still questioning my actions as I trudged through the snow, I debated whether I should just go home. They couldn’t possibly lock me out.

But realizing they probably won’t leave me alone if I did, I decided to brave the cold and fight against the wind toward Hanbin’s house. And while I continued to curse Hanbin in my head for having such a demanding request, it surprisingly kept me busy and before I knew it, I was in front of his door. Hesitantly, I pulled my hand out of my pocket and pressed the doorbell. I practiced putting on a smile thinking Mrs. Kim was going to greet me at the door. But the face that appeared once the door creaked open caused me to immediately relax my features. 

“Took you long enough.”

He left the door open for me and I had to remind myself that today was supposed to be a joyous day and that I should just let that comment go. Slipping off my shoes, I hurried inside to thaw my body in the home’s warmth.  

“Is your mom home?” I asked.

Hanbin shook his head before leading me into his living room. “She’s out picking up some groceries.”

I nodded my head before focusing on the real issue. “Hanbin, why did you make me come all the way here?” Doesn’t he know how hard the trek was?

At my question, Hanbin continued digging into the pile of presents underneath his beautifully decorated Christmas tree. He left me standing there in silence as he continued his rustling.

“Hanbin.”

He stands up before spinning around to face me. I looked down at the gift box in his hands. 

Well…this was unexpected.

“I didn’t get you anything.” I broke the truth to him.

“I’m not surprised.” Hanbin merely replies before handing the present into my hands.  “To thank you for helping me that night.”

“It’s weird if I take it.” I tried to give it back.

“Listen for once and just open it.” 

Seeing how he had no intentions of taking it back, I cautiously ripped away the wrapper. I didn’t know what I was going to expect – what if this was all a prank. When it comes to Hanbin, I don’t doubt it one bit. 

Now finding a plastic box hidden underneath the wrapping paper, it revealed reusable hand warmers. 

“…You made me come here for this?” I questioned before flickering my eyes up to meet his.

He actually laughed. “Yeah, so you can use it when you head home. Good idea, wasn’t it?”

No, it wasn’t. 

Before I could reveal the honest truth to him, Hanbin’s attention had already left me a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter