Chapter 19: Front Page News

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mino, are you feeling fine?” 

I know Sanghee has always called me cold-hearted or stone-like or whatever else – yet I didn’t really take her seriously until now. In a normal situation, Mino’s words should have caused me to blush, slowly make me aware of his presence, or maybe even smile – because goddamn it, I was in a situation where a boy really liked me. 

But.

Here comes the ‘but’.

I didn’t feel anything. My heart didn't beat out of rhythm and it didn’t faze me one bit. When God made me, did he spend a little less time on me and forget my heart and feelings? Because people, there is no other explanation. But, before you also call me cold-hearted and agree with Sanghee – there was a reason why I asked if he was okay. After he proudly proclaimed he would take the role from Hanbin, his face flushed red.

Like, really red. 

I didn’t know if I should keep my cellphone on hand in case we had to call for help when he passed out. 

“My face is red, isn’t it?” Mino muttered as if he had already known what kind of state his face was in. 

I nodded apologetically and he immediately turned his face away from me. I didn’t know what to do. “Should I get you some water?” Maybe he should cool down.

“No, no. I’m fine.” Mino waved his hand to stop me with his face still away from me. I sat back into my seat, unsure if I should leave or not. “Taehyun told me to be straightforward, but I can’t do it.”

Was this really the big bad delinquent? “Don’t make yourself do uncomfortable things.” Because it makes me uncomfortable. 

“I mean it though.” Mino answers me. And yes, he still hasn’t turned back to look at me.

I sighed at his answer. You wanna know what I think? “Mino, you’re still too young to ‘mean’ anything.” I enlighten him and he finally looks back at me. “Growing up is a time where you get confused by a lot of things.”

“So, you’re saying –“

“Yes, these feelings that you think you have for me –“ This is complete nonsense but let’s try it. “They mean something completely different.” I blabbed. “Puberty does strange things to you.”

“An 18 year old is experiencing puberty?” Mino pokes a hole in my theory.

Whoops. “You can be a late bloomer.” And…I just covered that hole back up. I’m really the best with my words. “So, let’s think about it carefully before you do anything rash.” I get up and grab my backpack.

“Wait, Jiwoo –“

“Think about it, Mino.” I cut him off and dashed out of the parlor. 

Smooth, Jiwoo.

***

Maybe, I won’t have to deal with Mino for a while. Because you know, he should be busy thinking about my words from yesterday. Would he really believe my puberty theory? Probably not since he isn’t Gullible Hanbin but I can always hope. I even woke up a little early this morning to walk to school. My avoidance is at an expert level. I walked into the school building with the never-ending thoughts consuming my mind. When was it all going away? When was I going to get the high school I wanted? 

You know what? Maybe I should transfer. 

Yeah, that sounds like a very plausible idea if I should be honest.

In need of some of my best friend’s support, I headed straight towards her locker. My thoughts naturally disappeared when confusion took over. What the hell was Sanghee doing? She was crouching and picking up random slips of paper. 

I gasped silently when a realization came over. Was it Big again? I rushed over and helped her pick up the unexpecting notes that should have had anger and hatred written all over it, but instead I found pink hearts and smiley faces. 

“Don’t ask.”

Sanghee interjected when she noticed how I froze while looking at the notes.

What is this?

When I met you, I knew God made you for me.

Do you believe in love at first sight? Or do we have to run into each other again?

Our bright future awaits!

I looked at one paper after another to find a different cheesy line written on each.

Sanghee really can’t go a day without receiving confessions. “How many people is this?” The number of admirers is astounding.

“It’s just one person.” Sanghee answers while getting up.

“What the –“

“Yeah, I know. This person is kind of obsessed.”

“No, what I was going to say was, what a waste of paper.” I answered her and looked at my hands. Each whole slip of paper only had one line on it. Wait why am I thinking about this? “Sanghee, you do know who this person is, right?” There could only be one person when it came to these gross lines.

“Who?” As soon as she asked, the answer came to her. “That boy from yesterday.” She gasped.

Junhoe.

“Boy, you catch on quick.” I stared at her. I can’t believe it took her this long to figure it out.

“I don’t know what the boys see in you.” The not-so-nice comment comes from left field and Sanghee and I look to find Big and her little posse stopping beside us. I’m beginning to think those two are her only friends. Not a shocker though.

When you’re that mean, I’m not sure if anyone would want to share your presence.

Take Hanbin for example.

“Well –“ Sanghee begins. “My mom always told me if I didn’t have anything nice to say, I shouldn’t say anything.”

I proudly looked over to Sanghee. Well, that comment isn’t too bad. Looks like my best friend is on her way to becoming a mature adult. 

“What did you say?” Big gritted her teeth in annoyance.

“I said nothing.” Sanghee retorts and it was entirely true. 

“You –“

I saw her reaching for Sanghee and I automatically tried to step in between them. Why does my body have to be so selfless. My brain definitely didn’t say it could do that. 

Suddenly, a hand comes out of nowhere and holds onto Big Tit’s own threatening hand. The same hand that might have done some more damage on my face if it wasn’t stopped. “You have a lot of energy in the morning.” 

I looked over. Though I should have been happy that he stopped whatever that might of happened…I still didn’t feel any gratitude. Oh well.

“Hanbin?” Even Big was shocked by his appearance. 

His face kept its usual stoic appearance. “Were you about to hit her?”

“What’s your problem?” Big yanked her hand back while her two friends looked like they didn’t know what to do.

Not too much of a surprise. They don’t do much anyway.

Hanbin reached out and tugged me forward. “Did you give her this scratch?” He directed the question at Big .

Hell yeah, she did.

“So, what if I did?” She responds with a smirk.

“Listen here.” Hanbin actually looked intimidating and I’ve forgotten how that felt like. “Don’t touch her again. Do you hear me?” 

“What’s going on, Jiwoo?” Sanghee whispered over to me and I subtly shrugged my shoulders. Again, another lie. This was Hanbin taking care of Big and her posse like he promised. Good move, Hanbin.

But, what was this? Was I feeling slightly…scared? 

“Who the hell do you think you are?” Well, Big certainly wasn’t.

“I’m her boyfriend.” 

At his reveal, I looked over in shock. No Hanbin, bad move. Bad. Move.

“Jiwoo?” Sanghee looks toward at me for answers and at once, everyone’s attention seems to turn to me.

Oh God. He did it now.

***

Why did he have to blurt it out like that? What’s his problem? Why couldn’t he just keep it between the two of us…or I mean the three of us (including Mino)?

We were only lying to Mino! We weren’t lying to the whole school!

Countless questions ran through my mind. I was suddenly in a position that I didn’t want to be in. A position that was bringing me endless anxiety. A position where Sanghee was going to smash my face in if I couldn’t provide an explanation without revealing tons of other lies I’ve been telling her. For now, I’ve put it off but once break starts – what the hell should I do?

This is absolutely tiring.

Transferring is looking better and better.

I tried my best to ignore the little distractions and focus on the lecture but it has proven to be too hard. All I heard were whispers of ‘Hanbin’, ‘Jiwoo’, and ‘dating’ and I could already guess what kinds of conversations they were having. 

Wait

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter