Chapter 47: Company is the Best, Or So They Say

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The thin layer of snow from two weeks ago has now turned into large piles of white on every corner of the street. I stared out into the school’s snowy courtyard from the classroom window. Simply thinking of walking out through that made me shiver. 

With a quick reminder from the teacher on all the assignments we needed to finish, with the last bell, our winter break has officially begun. Though my arm has healed, from habit, Hanbin continued coming to my locker – waiting while I took care of my own things.

“I hope you spend your break productively.” I said with a motive in mind. Without school taking up most of his days, I knew Hanbin would have more free time to cause trouble.

“Yeah, computer games.” He unsurprisingly responds. “What are you going to do?”

“It doesn’t matter, the fact that there is no school is enough.” I reply before shutting my locker. “Besides, three weeks without you will be great.”

He shot me a look, peeved by my words. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“I’m just joking.” Does Hanbin not have a single funny bone in his body? I guess my kind of humor isn’t compatible with him. “Have a good break.”

***

This is the life. 

The past few days have consisted of me draping myself over the couch – I have been here so long that Jiyoon had mistaken me for decoration. Though, it was break, I haven’t seen Jimin and Jiyoon around too much, they have joined the many others in the art of Christmas shopping. Something I didn’t think too much about – all I have to do is buy presents for Jimin, Jiyoon, Sanghee…I trailed off as some other faces appeared in my mind. 

“Nope.” I waved away the faces and went back to my TV show. Why should I buy presents for them? It’s not like we were on that kind of level yet –

My phone vibrates against the fabric of the couch and my eyes shift away from the TV to glance at it. The name blinking on the screen prompted me to slide the green icon. 

“Hello?”

“What are you doing?”

“I’m busy.” Far from it but Sanghee didn’t need to know…and it’s not like she would know either.

“Liar. I ran into your sisters and they said you’ve done nothing today.” Well, she knew. “Let’s go ice skating.”

“But the rink just opened, it’s going to be packed.” And it’s freezing out there. I'm already where it's warm and comfortable. 

“Jiwoo, we haven’t seen each other for a few days.” 

“Exactly, it has only been just a few days.”

There was a sigh. “I didn’t want to do this but Bobby said it’ll work.”

“Bobby?” I asked in confusion and sat up in a start. “…Are you two together?” 

“Jiwoo, we’re going to be in front of your house in fifteen minutes.” She ignored my words and went on. “If you’re not ready by then, I will dress you myself.” Immediately after finishing her threat, she hung up.

“Bobby?” The word left my lips in almost a shout. “Of course.” Silly me, it’s obvious that he’s a part of this. Left with no choice, I forced myself off the couch and towards my room. I’ll have fifteen minutes to find ways to bundle up.

It shouldn’t be too bad.

***

I lied.

“There you are.” Sanghee greeted me with a grin. “You finished right on time.” She stood among the four other boys as I met them outside my gates.

Even with a hat on and a scarf wrapped around, covering half of my face, why does it still seem like the skin on my cheeks was still suffering?

“Can you even breathe?” Bobby asked with a chuckle.

Sanghee looked at me with amusement. “Can’t be helped. She absolutely hates the cold.”

“You all should have just left me alone.” I answered in defeat. “Leave me alone in my toasty home.” 

“That’s no fun, Jiwoo.” Jinhwan joined the others as they laughed at me.

“You’ll go crazy in there by yourself.” Hanbin adds as he stuffs his hands into the pockets of his thick jacket. “But, it may be too late.”

“Very funny, Hanbin.” I may have been wrong about him not having a single funny bone in his body.

Sanghee came over and linked her arm with mine. “I won’t be satisfied until I see you smiling.”

I didn’t want to break it to her but I don’t think she is going to be satisfied.

***

Facing the rink, I hesitated on taking the first step – or should I say, skating the first step?

I looked at the countless people moving effortlessly around the large outdoor skating rink – not in jealously for their skill because despite not liking this seasonal activity, I’m actually quite coordinated…but due to the fact that my arm just healed. I’m rightfully afraid to take risks that could possibly leave it anything but. I watched as Sanghee and the others began leisurely around the rink. Though, one person was quick to catch my attention.

“Aren’t you going, Bobby?” The look on his face made me question what was going on. “Bobby.” I called out once more.

“Huh?” He looked away from the ice and up at me. “Did you say something?”

“I asked – aren’t you going?” I repeated.

“Uh – yeah.” He hesitated. “You go first.”

I looked at him a little longer. “…Are you scared?” It was the first thought that came to mind but I figured it to be impossible. 

“No.” Bobby retorted. “I like to take my time.” 

Slowly, my lips began to inch upward bit by bit. Ladies and gentlemen, everything is possible.

“You’re scared.” I remarked with a brighter tone. “You don’t know how to skate.” 

“Did you somehow get happy because of that?”

Happy? “That’s quite an understatement.” After being with Bobby for this long, I was starting to believe he was invincible but, I guess every monster has a weak point. “So, this is your shortcoming?” I observed his posture. 

He shot me a look. “I don’t have shortcomings.”

I shrugged my eyebrows at his response. “If you say so.” No one is going to believe that. “Well, I’m off.” I gently pushed myself away from the railing with full intentions of keeping my eyes on Bobby. Because the moment when any part of his body touches the ice, I want to be sure I fully experience that satisfying feeling. 

“What are you looking at?” Hanbin skated around me before sliding to a stop at my side.

“Bobby.” I answered. I didn’t bother looking at Hanbin because I just knew the moment I take my eyes off of Bobby – his fall was going to happen. “Did you know he was terrible at ice skating?”

“Yeah.” Hanbin chuckled. “At the beginning of high school, we took him out but he refused to do anything but stand on the sides – he stated there was no use for such a skill.”

Well, I bet he was regretting those words now.

My wrist was gently grabbed and my body began sliding backwards. I flipped my head around to find Hanbin to be the person responsible. “What are you doing?” I tried to maintain my balance while he continued. 

“You can’t just stand in the middle of the rink.” He scolded me. “At least move to the side before someone knocks into you. Did you want to hurt your arm again?” Hanbin ended up pulling me back against the railing.

From my spot, I make sure I still have perfect view of Bobby across the rink and when I did, I lean back. “Coming out here was the right decision.” 

“You’re not even skating.” He remarked.

Joining us, Sanghee and Donghyuk slid to a stop. Though, the longer I looked at them, the more I realized that they didn’t take notice of either Hanbin’s or my presence. It was like they only had eyes for each other…

“Are you two dating?” My question spurred a look of surprise on both of their faces. What? Was I wrong? Or better yet, was I right?

“What?”

“Okay, Jiwoo, listen –“

Sanghee and Donghyuk both begin simultaneously and I look at the two, ready for a clear answer. “It was just a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question.” I humorously reminded them.

They shared a quick look. 

“How did you know?” Donghyuk was the first to break the silence and his answer rewarded him a quick smack on the arm from Sanghee. 

“We aren’t really dating…” Sanghee attempts to sort out her words. 

“What?” Donghyuk confusedly whispered in Sanghee’s direction.

“We’re not dating dating.” She cleared up for him but from what I was witnessing, it was doing the opposite. Sanghee didn’t bother to explain further and directed her next words at me. “We’re…casually…spending time together.” She struggled in her explanation.

“…So, are you two dating or what?” I repeated my question once more. 

Donghyuk had settled to being quiet while Sanghee stared back at me. “…In between?”

My eyebrows rose upon hearing her answer. “Okay.” I don’t think I was going to get a clearer answer than that. “Whatever it is – don’t be mean to her.”

“I’m not.” Donghyuk retorts.

“If anything, I’m mean to him.” Sanghee jokingly replies.

“Congratulations, Donghyuk.” I gave him a pressed smile.

His own lips pulled into a shy smile. “Thanks, Jiwoo –

“You have your very own maiden in shining armor.” Because Sanghee is no damsel in distress.

For a moment, I thought about how not weirded out I was about this whole thing. But, it must have been the fact that I already saw it coming. I guess, in the end, it’s just nice that Sanghee can spend her time with someone else and if I had to, I wouldn’t choose anyone other than Donghyuk.

But, don’t expect me to admit it out loud. 

“You two should have just gone on this outing alone.” The four of us was simply third wheeling. 

“It’s more fun when we’re all together.” Sanghee retorted before grabbing onto Donghyuk’s hand. “We’re going to skate around some more – Jiwoo, don’t just stand there all day, have fun with Hanbin also.” 

I watched the two skate off while Jinhwan came around. I wasn’t sure if his face was simply red from the cold or from his laughing as he came to a stop. He held onto the railing in order to prevent himself from falling. 

Hanbin chuckled along. “What is it, Jinhwan?”

The boy couldn’t stop and pointed to the other side of the rink. I followed the direction his finger pointed in and saw Bobby shuffling about – but, the sight was enough to make me groan in regret.

“I missed it!” My eyes caught side of the ice shavings that stuck to his bottom, a clear sign that Bobby had slipped onto his . If only I ignored Sanghee and Donghyuk. “Jinhwan, tell me it wasn’t funny.” 

“Funny? I have never laughed so hard.” Jinhwan replied and it only dampened my mood some more. 

“Let me go help him.” Hanbin couldn’t seem to stop chuckling as he skated away.

Jinhwan breathed out loudly. “Even though he knew it was going to end this way, he still chose to come.” He looked across the rink.

“He agreed to come?” On his own? 

Jinhwan nodded. “I’m sure you have a bad impression of Bobby, Jiwoo.” He said out of nowhere.

“Well –“ I looked up in thought before deciding what’s the use in lying. “Yeah, no, I don’t.” The kid has pretty much set up my entire school year to his own liking and has used very unethical methods to bend me to his whims. So, no, I don’t have a good impression of him. That’s why just a memory of Bobby’s shortcoming – like that fall I totally missed – that would have been good enough to make up for everything. 

“This is really unlike him but I’ve noticed it the first time I met him.” Jinhwan begins to reveal. “He doesn’t like missing time to spend with his friends – so no matter what, he would always come.” 

I snorted. How unexpected. But, I would be lying if I didn’t see it coming. That day he made me promis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter