Chapter 57: A Whole New World of Surprises

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You do know why Zico was after us yesterday, right?” I asked while Hanbin and I made our way towards the bus stop. Yes, it wasn’t just yesterday morning, Hanbin returned today as well to ‘walk me to school’. 

It must be absolutely tiring for him.

“Who cares.” Hanbin shrugged.

Unlike him, I couldn’t so easily ignore the problem. “It was because you were rude to Chanwoo.” I came to the conclusion pretty quickly after remembering the last time we had ran into Zico.

“Who the hell is Chanwoo?”

“The boy that got you chococones.” 

“Oh, right.” Hanbin responded but didn’t actually sounded like he cared – which was probably exactly how it was.

“Hanbin.” I called for his attention.

“It’ll be fine. We always get away.” 

That’s not the point. “Zico was supposed to leave us alone for good.” I’ve already done my part, when do I get rewarded for it? How long am I supposed to keep running from the guy? For the rest of my life?

Hell no.

…And that’s how our conversation ended. With no conclusion whatsoever. 

But, I – I was already trying to work out a solution.

Please, just call me, Solution. 

***

Should I wait until Zico shows up to beat us up or what? The option seems easy since we were already on his hit list once more. Might as well allow him to find us. I’m sure he thrives off of that thrill and who am I to take that from him?

After school ended, Hanbin and I left the school building and upon arriving at the school gates, two bickering young boys quickly became the focus of our attention.

The sight brought along with it a sudden urge to just leave it be. That’s right. I didn’t want to do anything about the argument going on between the two because as soon as I got an inkling of what the content was, I realized I wasn’t needed.

“Let’s leave.” I didn’t want to stick around. Seems like a tiring situation. 

Hanbin didn't seem to be that bothered by my suggestion also adds, "I was thinking we can - "

"Hanbin hyung!"

Too late. With a grimace, I look over my shoulder while Hanbin turns around to face his younger cousin.

“Hyung.” Chanwoo cheerfully greeted Hanbin only to earn a glare from Jibin in response.

“Who are you to call him that?” Jibin fussed.

“He’s older so of course, I’m going to call him that.” The other boy simply provided a valid excuse.

Was the fanclub falling apart? God, it didn’t even last that long.

Jibin huffed unable to provide another response and that simple image was enough to remind me of someone. The same person that was standing right beside me. The person who the two young boys seem to be fighting over. 

Alright, let's just get this done - 

“Jiwoo, how about the snack shop down the street?”

Hanbin’s casual answer prompted a strange look from me. “What?”

“The snack shop –” He repeated before pointing in the direction. “That way.” 

Excuse me. Just in case he didn’t realize how irrelevant his words were at this very moment, I was kind enough to point it out. I motioned towards the two bickering boys in front of us – enough said. 

Hanbin sighs. “Kids, kids –“

Says the ‘kid’. 

Jibin and Chanwoo looked up as Hanbin continued. “Jiwoo and I have some things to do, do this elsewhere.”

Upon hearing his words, I gaped. Leave it to the immature individual to handle it. 

“Jibin, why are you so riled up?” I questioned tiredly.

“Noona –“ He pointed at Chanwoo. “He keeps saying he likes Hanbin hyung – he can’t like him.”

“Well, why not?” 

“Because only I can…and well, you too.” The young boy answered. 

“You don’t get to decide that.” Chanwoo argued. 

“Yeah, I do!” Jibin whipped his head around to shout back. “I’m related to him!”

“Why don’t you ever fight over me like that?” Hanbin’s statement mingled with the argument going on in the background. It required no response from me and I wasn’t going to add to it. It would only enable him. “You said you wanted to leave.” Hanbin gently grabbed my blazer and attempted to tug me away to the snack shop he so desperately wanted to visit. “Just let them handle it themselves.”

Don’t tempt me now that I’ve decided to stay.

Mindlessly, my eyes land on Chanwoo and my body refuses to budge from the spot where I stood. The gears in my head begin turning. 

“Jiwoo –“

“Let’s go, you two.” I cut off Hanbin and drape my arms around the two younger boys’ shoulders, one on each side of me, urging them forward…and away from one another.

Hanbin stood idly on the side, watching me in disbelief. “Where are you going?”

“To the snack shop.” Obviously.

Unhappily, Hanbin trailed behind as I kept my lead while also trying my best to keep the children from arguing – and when I say ‘children’, that includes Hanbin who has started to complain about the fact that the boys were intruding on our ‘date’. What Hanbin has failed to understand is that, unless it is mutual, he can’t call it a ‘date. 

It was a struggle but we finally made it to our destination. Grabbing the closest empty table as soon as we came through the door, I forced Chanwoo beside me while placing Hanbin and Jibin on the opposite side.

“Okay, what do you all want?” I looked behind the counter and up at the menu placed on the back wall of the shop.

“I want curry.” 

Jibin scoffed upon hearing Chanwoo. “Lame.” 

“I don’t want anything.” Hanbin diverted his eyes and leaned back into his chair, sulking as he did so.

“I want –“

“Lame.” Chanwoo interrupted Jibin and received an angry glare from the boy.

…Maybe I should start. “Okay, well, I want –“

“I don’t know why we’re here.” Hanbin muttered to himself but of course, I heard it and soon, I lost my train of thought.

“You said you wanted to go here.” I responded.

“Yeah, with you.” He retorted. “Why are they here?”

“Okay, I understand why you two are here but why him?” Jibin pointed at the boy sitting beside me.

Chanwoo leaned closer to me. “Because noona said I can.”

“Hey –“ 

Jibin and Hanbin both straightened up upon the sight. 

“Don’t call her noona.” Jibin immaturely ordered.

Hanbin pointed at him. “You don’t have to be that close to her.”

“Go home already.” Jibin added.

That’s it. 

I reached into my backpack for my wallet and took out a few bills. “Here, Chanwoo.” 

Chanwoo placed his palm out and looked down at the money in confusion. “What is this for?”

I nodded towards the counter. “Go order some snacks.”

Beaming at my words, he stared back at me in excitement. “Really, noona? Can I use it all?”

“Yeah, knock yourself out.” I watched Chanwoo slide out from his seat and hurry over to the counter. 

“Why did you do that for?” Hanbin questioned once the boy left the table.

“Noona, he’s not going to leave now.” Jibin quickly joined his older cousin’s side.

“Well, he’s not.” Plain and simple. “And do you know why?”

The two shook their heads.

“He’s going to stay here and you two are going to be nice to him so when that he leaves, a smile never leaves his face.” This was the solution I thought of.

“What?”

“Huh?” 

But, the two couldn’t seem to understand. “Hanbin, Zico is still after us because you were rude to Chanwoo the last time. We have a second chance, make it up this time so Chanwoo is happy.” If he is happy, Zico will be happy, and – here is the important part – we will be happy.

“No way.” Hanbin brushed off my words.

“Yes way.” I am not going to keep dealing with Zico. “You too, Jibin.”

“But, noona –“ The words leave in a drawn out whine. 

They think they have an option. I kept my stare on the two, hoping the force of my desire to end things with Zico would reach them. 

“…We hold hands the whole way home.” Hanbin answered instead. 

“What?” This isn’t the time for that.

“I be nice, and we hold hands on the way home.” He repeated. “The whole way home.” He made sure to emphasize.

I took a glance at Chanwoo who would soon be receiving his ordered snacks. “Fine.” I nodded towards Jibin – silently asking Hanbin to handle him. 

“Jibin, just do it.”

The younger boy looked up at him, stunned by his change in behavior. “Hyung, how could you?” 

Geez, must be like the end of the world for him. 

Seeing that he had no choice, Jibin looked back at me. “I want something out of it too.” 

“You don’t get anything.” Sorry, try again next time.

“Why?” Jibin blurts.

“Because you’re twelve.”

“Noona, that doesn’t even make sense –“

“Wow Chanwoo, you made some pretty good choices.” I happily (too happily) welcomed the boy back while sending quiet signals toward the two boys still sitting in front of me. I helped Chanwoo set the tray down onto the table. “Hanbin, Jibin, you two like this, right?”

And it was like Chanwoo only had eyes for Hanbin. “Hyung, do you like the food?”

Hanbin pressed his lips together to form a smile. “I love it.”

“Hyung –“

“Jibin, don’t ruin this for me.” Hanbin said through his clenched teeth while still offering that same smile to Jibin.

Reaching over, Hanbin took some food into his mouth while Jibin continued to quietly mope – at least he’s quiet.

“Chanwoo –“ I called out casually while he remained focus on eating. “Have you seen Zico?”

“Not since that last time at your school, noona.” Though he didn’t seem focused on me, he still managed to answer. 

“…Did you mention anything to him when we left you two at the gates?” I continued my subtle questioning. 

Chanwoo stopped for a moment to remember. “He got angry when you two walked away.”

At his response, I glared at Hanbin. I knew it. “Since today you got to hangout with Hanbin –“

“This is so great.” He beamed at me. 

“Yeah, sure.” Not my focus at the point in time. “I think you should brag to Zico how much fun you had today.” That should do it. “I’m sure he would love to hear all about it.” 

Chanwoo quickly agrees and nods his head.

“Also – “ I remembered something else at that moment. “ – Can you do me another favor, Chanwoo?”

“Of course, noona.” The young boy responds.

“Can you also tell Zico to leave Yunhyeong alone?”

“Who?” Hanbin unhappily blurted and I quickly shushed him. 

“Who is Yunhyeong?” Chanwoo repeats. 

“He’s a friend.” 

“Sure, anything, noona.” Chanwoo doesn’t hesitate to say.

At this point, I’m sure I could get him to do anything just because he was having a snack with his one and only idol. “Thank you, Chanwoo.”

And that is how you fix a situation or situatio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter