Chapter 23: The Layers of Hanbin

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Well, unlike how Hanbin wanted - because I could care less about what he wanted - I didn’t brush up on my ‘relationship’ skills. 

I hope you all are not too surprised…since you should all know me by now. I wouldn't waste my time on something so trivial, or better yet, something I have no use for. But, also because I would like to think that Hanbin had enough tricking skills for the both of us – I mean, you’ve all seen him in action. 

I took his blazer that was folded neatly out of my backpack while deciding if I wanted to seek him out or not. It wasn’t exactly what I wanted to do so early in the morning – not a face I wanted to see first thing getting here to school.

“Han Jiwoo?” 

I looked up upon hearing my name. It took me a second to realize who the boy that stood in front of me was – “Yes?”

“I don’t mean to bother you so early in the morning – “ His tall stature towered over me as he stopped beside the lockers. “But, I just wanted to be sure that Junhoe hasn’t…” He trailed off, not really needing to complete the sentence. “Do you remember him?”

Junhoe. The cheese ball. I do remember. “Uh – he had been leaving notes in Sanghee’s locker.” You would think the boy would get bored after receiving no response but he was still going strong. That’s some dedication.

Hongseok sighs. 

“But, Sanghee has dealt with worse, there’s no need to worry.” I say in response to his exhale. It’s also good to see that I wasn’t the only sane one in this situation.

“Okay.” He smiled in relief and that’s when I noticed the attention we were receiving from the students in the hall. 

“…Are they staring at you or me?” 

“What?” He responds with surprise.

I motioned to the people around us. Who was I kidding? It was definitely him. “You must be used to it.” It didn’t seem like he bothered to notice.

“Oh – uh – well…” 

Look at that. Another stutterer. 

I watched as he sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. “It’s not that – It’s just –“

“You don’t have to explain to me.” I stopped him from further stumbling over his words. I’ve dealt with Mino enough to know this conversation wasn’t going anywhere. “I’ll let you know if –“ My own words get stuck in my throat when I sensed the presence that appeared.

It’s not too hard to detect his ominous presence now.

Hongseok’s eyes set to the thing that stood behind me and I turned my head slightly to see Hanbin’s outstretched hand against the locker above my head. His eyes met mine and he had that bright smile on his face.

The sight suddenly drains all the energy from me.

“Oh, don’t let me intrude. Go on.” He motioned for me to continue to speak to Hongseok. 

I sighed before looking back at the boy in front of me. “You probably want to get back to your homeroom.”

“Right.” He doesn’t hesitate to answer. Glancing in Hanbin’s direction one last time, Hongseok spun around and walked down the hallway. I moved away from the spot underneath Hanbin and his forced smile disappears upon Hongseok leaving.

“Wow, a smile does really change a person.” I comment lightly while looking at Hanbin who was finally returning back to his normal behavior. His unexpected bright smile was really bothering me anyway. 

“My blazer.” He put his hand out and I didn’t hesitate to hand it over. He looked it over before throwing it on. “I nearly got into trouble – what would you have done if I got detention?” He directs the question at me.

“Well, you didn’t.” I reminded him. 

“But, what if I did?” He only dragged this conversation out longer than it should have been. 

“I would have done it instead.” I answered so he would stop his constant rambling. 

The sound of his tongue clicking followed my words. “This is why you get pushed around.” Turning away, he heads back to homeroom. 

Pushed around? He says it as if everyone pushes me around when in fact, it is only him.

***

Upon arriving at the field right outside the school building dressed for gym class, a bad feeling suddenly forms at the pit of my stomach while I looked at the countless people standing around. All three of the third year homerooms had to be present right at this moment. This sight only happens twice a year and since it isn’t graduation, it could only mean one thing –

“Attention up here, everyone.” The gym teacher calls from the front and it takes minutes before he could gather all the students’ attention. 

Why does he put himself through this?

Trying to get everyone to focus is nearly impossible – wasted effort if you ask me.

“You all know the Fall Sport Festival is coming up –“ At his words, the excited students started cheering while I groaned at the announcement. 

I hated it when this time came around. I wasn’t particularly good at the events or the fundraising part of it – well actually, I’m not good at any part of the event. I looked to Sanghee and saw her wide smile – right, she was at least good at the fundraising part. 

“We need to start preparing if we want to crush those kids from Useungja High School.” The teacher continues on energetically. Who says the students were most competitive? They obviously haven’t met the teachers here. “There’s going to be a relay event, basketball tournament, soccer tournament –“

All right, we get it, all the sports tournaments we can think of.

…Wow, I’m just not in the mood.

Wait a minute, I froze upon remembering the name of the school we’re facing – “Sanghee, did he say Useungja?” 

“Yeah, I think so.”

“But, that’s – “ Mino’s high school. 

I feel like situations never stop at ‘bad’, they tend to get worse. Like this situation right here.

“Today, we’ll be starting with soccer.” The gym teacher’s voice became the focus of my attention once more while I pushed aside the terrible news he only announced moments before. “I’ll break you all into teams randomly and begin the games.”

I sighed as he started to move.

“Come on, everyone. We only have a 40 minutes gym class.” He started to rush the students. “That is not enough to get you all into -kicking shape.”

“My morning has been made at the sight of you.”

Sanghee and I turned our heads to the side upon hearing the voice. And who was it that decided to grace our presence? Well, who else would say such a cringing line?

“Junhoe, let’s go.” Hongseok hooked his arm around Junhoe’s shoulder and tugged him along and away from us. While he passes, Hongseok sends me a smile. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter