The day

In the hall

The day of Zitaos exam is getting closer and Kyungsoo is kind of anxious for two reasons: one the exam and two, after that he will not be seing Zitao like this. Also, not that anyone cares, is his birthday.

"So are you gonna have someone especial for diner tonight?", mister Park asks as he servs breakfast.

"No, whay would I?"

"Kyung why dont you invite Baekhyun and Jongdae? Theya are with you every day right?", Joonmyeon butts in.

"I think they said they have things to do"

"Come on Kyung! Ask them it would be good", now he is treating him like a kid with issues.

"Ok, Ill ask", and he sees the smile that his brother and mister Park share with each other.

"Hello!! Good morning!! Whos my big boy??!! Whos my big baby?!", his father starts to attack him with smoldering kisses all over his face. He is not a kid damn it!

"Dad!!", he is all red faced now.

"Kyungie, so rude. Ahhh....my baby doesnt love his good old father anymore... ", Junsu, the father, pouts. Kyungsoo doesnt have time to be babied. "So how many guests are coming tonight?", he asks as he takes his place on the table.

"Just us and Yifan hyung ...like always..."

"But we might also two more guests", Joomyeon sais smiling.

"Who? The kid you study with?", his fathers asks.

"Oh yes! I forgot...what was his name...Zi...", mister Park likes the idea.

"Its Zitao. Yeah, you ask him to come too", Joonmyeon and his tone.

"I dont study with him, he studies with me. Also its a week day I dont think they would have the time..."

"Kyung you promised to ask anyway, you lose nothing with just asking...Also appa, two more friends of Kyungie might come..."

"Really? Thats three more guests...impresive", he nudges at Kyungsoo and winks at him.

Every year is the same, the guests invited to Kyungsoos birthday parties had been add by other people: first Yifan hyung and then mister Park. A family diner, Kyungsoo would bake a cake and that was it. The youngest of the family never felt the need to have a party or invite people over, honestly he never had friends at school, just study buddies, class mates, project mates, noto friends. This year though it was different, he really would like Zitao to be there. He sighs...keep dreaming Kyungsoo.

---------------

"Huang!", he tries to look cool.

"Kyungsoo ssi", Zitao greets.

"So how are you for the test?"

"Im fine, I guess Ill pass"

"You are the only one taking it right?"

"Mhm"

"So, youll know right away"

"Yes"

"Great, here", he sais as he hands him a hot pink post-it with his phone number. "Text me when you get the score", he sais and it takes all his composture to not die in the spot. Zitao doesnt notice anything, of course.

"Sure. See you later", he waves him off and walks away. Two minutes later he can hear Zitaos laugh and his voice aloud, all joy and those things that he doesnt show to him.

----------------------

Kyungsoo has two more post it notes on his pocket, they have his adress on them and they are for Baekhyun and Jongdae.

"So where do we start the rounds?", Jongdae asks, lately he has change a little and he is not very polite with Kyungsoo anymore.

"Uhm...where do you want to start?"

"We would like to stay here, with sun light...", Baekhyun singsongs.

"Well, we cant really do that Byun", Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. As they walk to the lab hall, Kyungsoo is more quiet than before, but his team mates doesnt notice. He is trying to find a moment to tell them thats his birthday and that he wants them to come to his house, he doesnt know why but he is not founding the courage to do that...how silly.

"... and after school I have to go the damn dentist...", Baekhyun comments. So he wont be able to come to his house.

"Oh man...thats awfull", Jongdae says.

"Thanks for the suport...So hows life as Zhang Yixings boyfriend?", Baekhyuns voice is teassing. They are dating?

"Shut up!", Jongdae tells them and Kyungsoo turns around just in time to see them bumping shoulders, he desaproves.

"So did you already..."

"Oh my God!"

"What? Is totally normal, who wouldnt hi that!"

"Byun! You are supose to be the example!", Kyungsoo scolds.

"You are just jelous because your little Kyungie is lonely", he whispers to Kyungsoo who growls and tries to set free from the hug (headlock) that Baekhyun is giving him. "Oh come on Kyung! When are you gonna get a y ninja for your little Kyungie? Mhm? Poor him", Baekhyun says as he pats his and lets him go. Jongdae is laughing his off, Kyungsoo is red with embarresment and anger. How could he think of inviting this two asshats to his house!? So he doesnt.

-------------------

The rest of the day goes well, by the end he is getting nervous cause he wants to know what happend with Zitao. Just as he finishes accomodating his backpack he hears a familiar cheerfull voice.

"Hyung I pass!!!", Zitao screams in his direction and starts to run towards him. Kyungsoo wants to ask "Me?", he doesnt know if he should smile or not or tell him that he shouldnt run in the halls....but all doubts vanishes when Zitao runs pass him, straight to his brothers arms. Neither of them had seing him behaind his locker door. He takes the moment to run away from his brother look (not that he is watching), becuase he is sure that if Joonmyeon sees him he will say something embarrasing to Zitao, so he walks among the see of students and hides in the music room entrance. He recieves a text: "I passed the test. Thank you Kyungsoo ssi". Is simple and a little cold, yes, but is also that one borthday gift that he wasnt waiting for.

--------------------------

He hums a tune all the time that he is baking his cake when he gets home and he doesnt get mad when mister Park teasses him. He finished his work and sits to watch some tv until his father and brother gets home. The door bell rings.

"Honey are those your friends?", mister Park asks as he goes to the door.

"No I didnt..."

"Oh Zitao!! Welcome, welcome", Zitao? Zitao!. "Our Kyungie is here", mister Parks acompanies the chinese boy to the living room where Kyungsoo is watching TV. "Look whos here", the smile on the mans face will break his head in two. He pushes Zitao a little towards Kyungsoo and leaves saying that he will bring something for them to drink.

"So...what are you doing...oh! I got your text message, congratulations", he smiles shyly.

"Thanks...Uhm..here", he offers him a small bag, is bracelet, colorfull, cute, plastic and cheap. Kyungsoo smiles more and is sure that he is blushing.

"Thank you, you didnt have to...", he is so happy that he cant talk.

"Is small, but I found out today that it was your birthday so...", that explains the last minute present. Kyungsoo doesnt care, he never thought that he would have something of Zitaos, he takes it and puts it on as to show the boy that he really likes it, is the truth though. Zitao smiles politley to him. They sit and mister Park comes back with glaces of juice.

"Kyung...uhm...would you like me to cut some cake for Tao ah?"

"Oh! Sure...ehm do you like cake?", Tao noded with a big smile.

Mister Park then brings the cake and they ate in silence. Kyungsoo knows that this is not the Zitao that he knows, because at school Zitao is loud (sometimes to loud) and he makes people laugh and want to . However Kyungsoo likes this Tao more, the Tao that is not the same as with other people. Ok, he needs to stop thinking and start talking.

"Ehm...how did you knew that today was my birthday?", Zitao swallows the cake.

"Uhm.. hyung...your hyung told me", Joonmyeon. "You have a really cool hyung, really awesome". Kyungsoo smiles, he already knows that the boy really likes his brother.

"You really like him", he points.

"Yeah..to bad he is with Yifan ge...I never stand a chance", ehm, he didnt mean that kind of "like". Kyungsoo tries to sahek off his shock face, he eats cake. "Anyway, yes, he told me its your birthday when I went to tell him that I passed the test". So this is why he moslty sugested they study in his house and how he knew the adress: he has a crush on his brother. Is sad, but he almost understand him.

"Hey...maybe this Valentines card person is your Joonmyeon", very good comeback Kyungsoo. Zitao laughs.

"Theres no way there are two perfect persons like that", he laughs more.

After some time of pointless talk Zitao stands up, one hour and fifteen minutes after his arrival, he starts his goodbies.

"Oh, you are not staying for dinner?", mister Park sounds disapointed.

"No, Im sorry, but thank you", he says gently and leaves. Kyungsoo watches him go away.

He just wants to think that Tao came to his birthday and that he spend at least twenty minutes looking for a present for him. He wont think that he came because his brother, the one that he likes, asked him too and he wont think that he only stayed for one hour fifteen.

------------------------

Later at night Yifan hyung comes and the diner time comes and everything is fine.

"So what happend with Baekhyun and Jongdae?", Joonmyeon asked, Yifan seemed uncomfortable.

"Uhm, they couldnt come"

"But Zitao did, that boy is a sweetheart", mister Park commented.

"Yeah, there was a key factor for that visit", Joonmyeon sounded serious. Yifan rolled his eyes, her we go. "I told him".

"I know he told me"

"Because you didnt tell him or Baekhyun or Jongdae", he sounded mad. Junsu just looked at the events unfold. "Why?"

"I heard that they didnt have time", Kyungsoo started to sound mad.

"Joon let it go", Yifan said softly.

"Is just that I dont understand you. These are good guys, what is so wrong with them uh? Zitao has low grades, so does Baekhyun, so what? They dont deserve your friendship? Theres more to people than their grades you know?"

"I know"

"Do you?", Yifan sat back, Junsu was starting to tense and Joonmyeon noticed, so he didnt say anything else.

"Is it true Kyung? You dont want friends who doesnt have as good grades as you?", no, maybe, he doesnt know, he never thought about friends. He is always thinking about the future...not the present. "Because even if Zitao needed a tutor I think he seems to be a good kid, if he wants to be your friend you should let him", no, he doesnt want to be his friend. "I, also, dont think that is healthy for you to be so....", he strugles bit theres no other word for it. "...alone", the father sighes. "I mean, you are turning 16 tonight and the only ones sitting at the table are us. We are adults", he pointed at mister Park and himself. "And then theres your brother and Yifan, who are also older than you and we all love you and love to be here, but...theres anything wrong with having friends", he sighs again. "I...weve talk about this many times...I just", he sounds defeted and Kyungsoo feels like he is disappointing him.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Joon no"

"No, let me ask", this afternoon Joonmyeon has learnt something that all the school already knows (Yifan too) and this information made him so mad that he just couldnt shut up about i, even after his boyfriend told him that those were rumors, but his brothers behaivour is making him suspect. "You dont like Zitao because he is chinese?", what!? Kyungsoo shot his head up.

"What are you saying Joon?", his father half scolds.

"Thats what everyone at school thinks of him..."

"I dont...", but nobody is listening to Yifan. Junsu looks at his youngest especting.

"Is not that! I...I think he is a good kid too...", more than that but he wont say it. "How can you think that of me?!"

"I dont know what to think anymore...Jongdae is half chinese after all", Junsus jaw drops.

"I didnt know. Im not, Im not like that!"

"Is Baekhyun a chinese name?", Junsu asks to in general.

"No, I dont know whats his excuse for hating on him too".