XXXIII

Runway Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jonghyun stiffens in his position when the faint ringing of the doorbell disturbs the silence in the living room. He stands up uneasily, as he notices the maid has gotten the door for him. He can hear Yoona’s voice from the front door even demanding where he is at. Her figure appears out of nowhere, tension is already present in between them.

“Yoona I can explain,” but before he can even finish his sentence her hand lands on his cheek.

Jonghyun’s head forces itself to the side, his cheek stinging from the impacting slap. Yoona clenches her fist in pain after striking the side of his face, trying to prevent herself from wincing. She doesn’t even feel a hint of pity for him nor does she feel bad for hurting him. Jonghyun keeps still for a second, turning his gaze back to Yoona’s.

“Jonghyun…” she croaks, tears flowing down her face. “How can you do this to me?”

“Yoona, I didn’t mean to,” he shakes his head.

She scoffs. “Didn’t mean to?”

He nods his head. “It never was my intention to hurt you. I just,” he pauses to bite his lip from shaking. “I have to think about my family first. I was pressured,” he reasons.

“Family? Screw it Jonghyun, you have to do what is right even if it means betraying your family!” she snaps.

“Well I can’t do that in this situation, but Yoona please,” he attempts to reach for her hand but she steps back. “I didn’t want to hurt you, I want you to know that.”

She laughs at him like he said a joke. “Well then I don’t know that Jonghyun,” she folds her arms. “Because you already have,” she says bitterly.

“No, Yoona please don’t ruin our friendship for this.”

“You already did Jonghyun,” she reminds more calmer this time. “You already did,” she sighs.

Jonghyun’s heart breaks at the sight of his bestfriend tearing up. He didn’t want this, but he had no choice because of his father’s threats. He ends up sacrificing a precious friendship he has been keeping for years, over an urgent family business that his father is struggling with.

“Jonghyun, I want you to create a distraction.”

“What do you mean dad?” he creased his brows.

“Destroy the image of the Im’s for me, that way I can cover the issues of our companies.”

“What? No dad, I can’t do it.”

“Do it Jonghyun or you wouldn’t want your little friend Im Yoona get hurt would you?” Chunhee threatened his son with a look of indifference in his eyes.

Jonghyun swallowed the burden in his throat. “But…”

“No buts. Just do it for me and for my company and for your sister’s. Understand?”

Jonghyun accepted his father’s request without any choices left in his hands.

“I’m sorry,” he manages to say before pulling Yoona in for a hug. A drop of tear escapes from his eye as she hits his shoulder repeatingly, wanting to break away from his hold.

“Let go of me Jonghyun,” Yoona mutters harshly. “If this is what it’s like, we’re done here,” she yanks his arms off of her.

Yoona leaves without another word, leaving Jonghyun standing alone in the empty living room. Yeonhee strolls into the scene after Yoona storms off past her. She folds her arms and looks at her brother.

“Can’t believe you’d actually do it huh Jonghyun?”

Jonghyun’s temper grows impatient once seeing his sister. “I have no choice. I don’t want dad to hurt her. That’s the last thing I’d do.”

“Anyway you did well Jonghyun, I’m impressed,” scoffs Yeonhee, almost out of sarcasm.

Jonghyun heads to the flight of stairs and drags himself to his room. I’m sorry Yoona.

 

Yoona wipes away the tears that are blurring her sight with the back of her hand. She hops back into the car and slams the door behind her. Her hands grip onto the steering wheel so tightly, that it is hurting her knuckles without noticing. How could he do this? Jonghyun is one of the bestest friends she can ever have but he proves her wrong. Betrayal, hurt and confusion once again. She needs comfort desperately, her mind is thinking on what to do. Taecyeon. In a flash, her hand fumbles out the phone in her bag and dials his number.

“Hello?” she hears him say.

It takes her a while to respond. “Taecyeon…”

“Yoona!” he beams in excitement. “How did it go? Did our Miss Im succeed?”

Although she is trying to hold her tears back, she can’t help but form a small smile. “Um, where are you right now?” her voice betrays her tone.

“Hey, are you okay? You don’t sound too good,” he asks in concern.

“I’m uh…I need to see you, please?”

“I’m at home.”

“Are you alone?”

“Yeah, umma and appa are at work and Taeyeon’s at the floral shop.”

“Okay, I’ll be right there,” she ends the call and drives to his apartment right away. 

Taecyeon notices that she hung up immediately, scr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter