XXXI

Runway Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Umma, I’ll be going now!”

Taeyeon yells from the front door, waiting for her mother’s response. Jiwon skips out of the kitchen rushing over to her daughter.

“When will you be back dear?”

“A little over seven in the evening I guess. Don’t worry, Wooyoung can send me back home,” Taeyeon hugs Jiwon in assurance.

Jiwon shakes her head. “Oh no, take your time dear,” she smiles. “You’re a big girl now so I trust you!”

“Thanks umma. I’ll see you later!”

“Have fun!”

Taeyeon tightens the scarf around her neck as the chilly wind blows past her face. She decides to take the cab this time so she will have several minutes to meet up with Wooyoung before the live performance. As she reaches KBS broadcasting station, she pays the driver the fee before making her way into the building.

“May I help you miss?” a staff approaches her when she is lingering around the dressing rooms’ area.

“I’m sorry, I was looking for Im Wooyoung,” she mutters, bowing her head slightly.

“Are you a fan? Or a relative?” she knows the staff is asking an impulsive question. Normal safety for the musicians.

Taeyeon reflects a warm smile, “I’m his girlfriend actually,” she asserts as her cheeks turn into a deep shade of red.

“Mind if I check with Wooyoung-ssi for a second?” the staff strides down a couple of doors, halting at one which supposes to be Wooyoung’s room. He peeks his head inside for a minute then returning to Taeyeon shortly.

“This way please,” gestures the staff in respect.

Taeyeon marches through the hall way, stopping in front of Wooyoung’s dressing room that the staff leads her to. She takes a shy step inside, her eyes searching the surroundings. Wooyoung is checking himself in the mirror while his make-up artist applies chapstick on his lips. Out of the corner of his eye, he catches a glimpse of Taeyeon in the background. He stands up in an abrupt motion that the chapstick leaves an noticeable smudge at the corner of his mouth.

“Taeyeon!” he pulls her into his arms, hugging her as tight as he can.

Taeyeon is suffocating between his strong pair of arms. “I…can’t breathe,” she pretends to choke.

“Oops, sorry!” he releases her, grinning widely. “Thought you wouldn’t drop by.”

“I took a taxi so I’m here early. Planned to visit you before the show.”

Wooyoung chuckles, ruffling her hair. “I missed you and I’m sorry I haven’t been arranging some time for us. Been busy with all the preparations and stuff, also now that I have a solo performance. It’s a double duty alright.”

Taeyeon holds his hand. “It’s alright. Wait, you have a little something here,” she brushes her thumb on the light smudge, wiping it from his face.

“Fifteen minutes Wooyoung!” signals his manager from by the door.

“Got it hyung,” he responds back. “The performances are actually starting right now. Wouldn’t you like to watch them?”

“Hm, five minutes more then I’ll go. So will I see an awesome performance later?” she beams.

Wooyoung smirks, acting confident. “You’ll see your boyfriend shining on the stage for sure.”

They laugh and chat for a little more while until Taeyeon has to leave. “See you later! Fighting!” she cheers.

“Meet you here back in the room after the show!” he reminds as she nods.

Luckily, Wooyoung gives Taeyeon a backstage pass so that she won’t run into some of the suspicious staffs again. She directs herself in the theatre where most fans are, taking a seat at the back so that she can get a full view of the circumstances. Performances are running along and any time soon it will be Wooyoung’s turn. Taeyeon claps her hands along with the fans who are cheering for an idol group of some sort. It’d be out of place if she just focuses on her phone. Not wanting to be rude either. Then a louder wave of screams wakens the walls of the theatre as a young male walks across the stage.

“Go Wooyoung!” shouts Taeyeon in amusement, giggling after the scream. No one can hear her anyway, amidst of the shouting from other fans.

The cheerings continues, girls around Taeyeon are screaming their lungs out for Wooyoung. Never did she expect his popularity to be that immense. Despite of the wild cheers on-going, Taeyeon only has her eyes on Wooyoung. He has this other side of him when performing which she finds fascinating. A flash of charisma in his eyes and his smooth voice. It all feels new but familiar at the same time. As his solo stage ends, Wooyoung gives a bow and waves at his fans. He searches for Taeyeon at the back and when he does, he blows a flying kiss toward her. Taeyeon blushes, but pretends to catch it from him.

More idols create their appearances, energizing the crowd once more. Taeyeon’s attention moves to the stage again once she spots Wooyoung dressed in a much simpler look, pulling a guitar with him. She recognizes it right away. He is doing the solo with Jieun. A part of her senses envy but the other part chooses to watch the duet. Jieun appears from the other side of the stage with a microphone in her hand, walking over to the stool next to Wooyoung.

After the chorus of the song, Taeyeon begins to feel jealous when Wooyoung’s eyes are reflecting warmth toward Jieun’s. Her lips presses into a firm line, still listenting and observing the duet couple. Fans around her sway their hands in the air, admiring their idols’ voices. A round of applause echo in the theatre, marking the end of the duet. Taeyeon smiles for Wooyoung, clapping in appreciation of his job well done.

“How should I congratulate him? A hug? A high-five?” Taeyeon asks herself, walking past a few dressing rooms, pausing at Wooyoung’s.

“Wooyoung!” she calls out, but finds only his hairdresser and manager. “Oh? Where’s Wooyoung?”

“Hi there Taeyeon-ssi! I think he went to grab himself a drink down the hall,” says his manager.

“Alright, thank you!”

She leaves the room, strolling down the hall way until she hears Wooyoung’s voice from a room at the side. Following the source, she walks up to a door that indicates Jieun’s dressing room. Door is ajar, she peeks an eye inside, catching a glimpse of Wooyoung’s smile. Pushing the door open bit by bit, she picks up the following conversation.

“You did great by the way, as usual of Lee Jieun,” compliments Wooyoung’s voice.

“Oh stop it,” she watches Jieun punch Wooyoung’s shoulder. “You too, always so romantic whenever you sing a ballad.”

“Well that’s me,” he chuckles. “Anyway, want to have lunch together some time? It’s been a while my friend.”

“Lunch? We’ll get caught by your fans Woo,” she smiles.

“Nah, don’t worry about it. Come on, I missed you yesterday,” his words bring a sudden stab in Taeyeon’s heart. He didn’t even call her the day before, and now here he is saying that he misses another girl?

“I missed you too actually,” the girl’s reply adds onto her insecurity. “And gosh, it’s only been a day. Wis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter