XXIX

Runway Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon is tying her hair up while checking herself in front of the mirror. The soft curls by the tips of her dark brown hair dangle lightly across the back of her neck, her fingers straightening the bangs on her forehead. After everything is done, she closes the door of her room and makes her way out to the living room.

“Where are you going my dear?” asks her mother from the kitchen.

“Oh nothing,” Taeyeon shrugs her shoulders innocently. “Just thinking of dropping a visit in Wooyoung’s studio.”

“Sneaky,” Jiwon smirks as she twirls the soup thoroughly in the pot. “What for?”

“Well, I decide to repay his surprise visit three days ago.”

“Meaning he doesn’t know you’re visiting?”

“Exactly!”

“And how did you know he’s at the studio?”

“He told me so yesterday,” she says. “Working on a song I guess.”

Jiwon settles the ladle on a small plate by the counter, wiping her hands with a dry cloth. She walks toward her daughter, pulling her in a for a short embrace.

“A wonderful day ahead of you my dear,” she pecks Taeyeon’s cheek. “And have fun!”

“Thank you, umma!” Taeyeon hugs Jiwon back, waving off. “I’ll be going now.”

Taeyeon drapes the white hooded parka across her shoulders, leaving their house after. She doesn’t have her license yet, even though she is way prepared for the driving test thanks to her brother’s secret lessons with his van previously. Although Taeyeon feigns an innocent image on the outside, she has a rebellious personality on the inside. Mainly due to Taecyeon’s influence, but it becomes of a natural side of her which is pretty hard to discover if one doesn’t pay much attention. But in any case, Ok Taeyeon will still be the neighborhood’s sweetheart.

She hops off the bus, alighting at her destined stop which is near the studio. A couple of strides to the flight of steps, she swipes out the card that can access into Wooyoung’s place. Her foot takes a slow step inside the room, feeling the faint vibration on the floor. She spots Wooyoung recording in the booth. Jo Jongsu, the producer is wearing headphones to control the tempo and beat of the song that coincides with Wooyoung’s voice.

As the beat is taken care of, Jongsu turns around to see Taeyeon standing there with her eyes glued on Wooyoung’s figure.

“Taeyeon!” he stands up to greet her.

“Jongsu-ssi,” she bows in return, shaking hands with him. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“Oh no, of course not,” Jongsu shakes his head. “Just that Wooyoung didn’t tell me you’d come.”

“A surprise visit,” she says with a smile.

“I see, anyway! Please, make yourself comfortable!”

Jongsu offers a seat next to him. Taeyeon obliges with a slight nod, snatching  pair of headphones form the side. As she is about to sit down, another female figure in the booth catches her attention. She is standing beside Wooyoung, and for some reason, she senses envy.

“Who’s the girl?” she asks Jongsu.

“She is Wooyoung’s partner for this duet, her name’s Jieun.”

Taeyeon nods her head before muttering a sigh. She puts on the headphones with reluctance this time, knowing that she won’t be listening only to her boyfriend’s voice. At the beginning it is fine until a lighter, more feminine voice echo in her ears. Her eyes instantly fall on the set of buttons, pursing her lips nervously.

The song comes to an end, Taeyeon manages to get through the whole thing without taking her headphones off. Although she wants to remove it badly, but she can’t, because of Wooyoung’s sake. Wooyoung steps out of the booth, his hand on Jieun’s back. He halts in his track when he sees Taeyeon beside Jongsu.

“Taeyeon!” he walks over to give her a light hug. “Didn’t expect you here,” he grins, looking back at Jieun quickly.

Taeyeon responds to Wooyoung’s hug with less anticipation when she notices the girl behind him. “Yeah, I just wanted to get back at you,” she flashes a smile.

Wooyoung smiles back, turning his attention to Jieun. “Taeyeon, this is Lee Jieun a soloist herself,” he gestures to the young female across them. “And Jieun, this is Taeyeon my girlfriend,” he introduces.

Jieun bows gracefully at Taeyeon, extending her arm for a handshake. “Hello! I’m Lee Jieun!” she says brightly.

Taeyeon returns her greeting with an equal amount of excitement. “I’m Ok Taeyeon, it’s nice to meet you!”

“Wooyoung has told me about you and I heard your duet together, I must say that you have a great voice,” Jieun compliments honestly. “You can earn yourself a title in the music industry, big time!”

A smile breaks out from Taeyeon’s face. “Why, thank you,” she chuckles. I guess she is alright, nothing much to worry about. Her doubts vanishing suddenly.

Wooyoung laugh along with the girls, pulling Taeyeon closer to him. “Jieun and I are kind of buddies in the music business. We’ve done a duet together a year ago. Now, we’re actually preparing for a performance together for a music festival. That explains the song we’re doing right now,” he says.

“Really?” Taeyeon raises an eyebrow. “When is it?”

“Sunday,” he states. “So you won’t mind if I’ll be busy for a while?”

Taeyeon shakes her head. “No, I’m fine with it.”

“Great! Jieun, going anywhere? I can give you a ride of you want.”

Jieun refuses Wooyoung’s suggestion politely. “That’s okay, I have somewhere to go which is near the area. I’ll be seeing you tomorrow then! Nice meeting you Taeyeon-ssi,” she smiles, bowing in respect.

“Yes, nice meeting you too Jieun-ssi.”

“See you tomorrow Jieun!” he waves his hand at her.

Wooyoung and Taeyeon watch Jieun leave the studio in silence. He turns to her with a smile. “We have an impromptu date then!”

Taeyeon laughs against his chest. “Shall we?”

Her uncertain thoughts

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter