Goodbyes

Beauty and the Geek

 

 

You got home late, you saw that your father was asleep on the floor again, with some liquors scattered on the floor just beside him. You tiptoed to him as you cleaned up the bottle of liquors and covered him with a blanket. You went to bathroom and took a nice long shower. You grinned as you remembered what happened just now.

 

Flashback

 

"Well?" The three of them said at the same time.

There was a moment of silence, "I-I-" You looked left and right, "My favorite color is yellow so Lay, let's go together!" You said quickly, a little bit too quickly. You grabbed Lay's arm as the both of you walked together, sharing one umbrella.

"See you later Luhan, good day sunbae." Lay turned around to greet them as you stood right next to him, not bothering to look at them.

 

"Aishh, what is that?" Nichkhun grunted. He looked at Luhan, "And you, how do you know her?"

Luhan eyed him carefully and laughed, "Me?" Luhan blinked playfully, "You could say that she's someone who could steal my heart easily." Luhan clasped his hands together as he teased Nichkhun.

"Ah really? Good luck with you then." He snapped, leaving him behind.

"That transfer," Luhan looked at the two of you walking together, "This is going to get interesting." He smirked seeing the angry Nichkhun walking away and the lovey-dovey couple walking together.

"Don't tell me, is this going to be a love triangle?" Luhan laughed, "I'm going to enjoy this."

 

Oh dear Luhan, it's not fun to watch from the side. Cause the more you enjoy watching, the more chances for you to fall for the main character in the movie.

 

Your POV

 

"What was that? Why are they so eager to walk me home? It's annoying." I pouted.

Lay grinned, "Ya, you could attract more boys than you know you could."

"How can I? I was bullied here and there back on my previous school." I frowned as we crossed the street.

"From my opinion, that's because they knew your past and they would use your past against you." Lay raised an eyebrow, "And since the people here only know that you got a scholarship; which mean that you're smart, they would probably like you."

"Like me, my ." I laughed, "Thanks for the encouragement, but no thanks." I sighed.

 

And that's when I realized, this is not the road to my house. I looked around and knew exactly where he was taking me.

 

He's going to buy my uniform for me.

 

"You don't have too you idiot!" I said as soon as we arrived at Grey High's boutique. Yes, they have their own boutique.

"Who's the idiot around here? I'm just trying to help you, and you better accept it." Lay chuckled, he took the uniform from one of the workers there and handed them to me, "Here, try this on." 

"Don't want too." I crossed my arms.

Lay sighed and clapped his hands once, the worker immediately took the uniform from him and pushed me inside the dressing room.

"What are you doing? Get your hands off me!" I said, but the worker wouldn't let go.

"You're not going anywhere until you try that on." Lay said, pointing at the uniform. "And she will help you." He winked.

"Ya, ya!" I tried to protest but the worker pushed me and slammed the door.

 

After minutes of arguing with Lay and the pitiful worker, I gave up and tried the uniform. It fits perfectly, like Lay made the measurements just for me.

I looked at the mirror and grinned, "I must pay him back."

 

We were heading to my home as we walked together under his yellow umbrella. After he bought my uniform, we went to get some ice creams and some dinner. All his treat.

"Thank you, for today." I smiled, it was dark so I insisted that we should go home or I'll get in trouble.

"No big deal, I like it." Lay smiled.

"Like what?"

"This." Suddenly he took my hand, holding it tightly with his free hand.

"What are you doing?"

"It's cold, you're chilled to the bone you know?" He grinned once more, "It's warmer this way."

 

I know it's cold, but my face felt hot. I really hoped he didn't see my incredibly red face.

 

"Thanks for walking me home." We reached the front of my home as I smiled as he handed me my uniform. "I'll definitely pay this back." I wiggled the plastic bag in front of it.

"You don't have too."

"No, I have too! I'd feel guilty if I don't... You've spent so much money for me and I must pay it back." I gulped, "And the money you gave me at the café​....." I tensed a bit, "I lost it...." I lied.

"Aigoo, you've turned clumsy as well." Lay grinned.

"I'm sorry." I looked down, not able to see his face.

 

I was waiting for his scoldings, but instead, he laughed and used his finger to held up my face.

"Don't worry about that simple thing." Lay smiled.

"No, I have too, it's your money and I-" I tried to explain, but his actions cut me off.

 

I was surprised as well. And as a result, I froze there, blankly looking at him.

 

Lay gently kissed my forehead as he said, "Happy birthday Eun Gi."

"What?" I starred at him blankly.

Lay laughed, "Don't tell me you've forgotten your birthday. It's September 10 remember? That's why I insisted on buying your uniform, take it as a small birthday present."

 

"September 10? September 10 is not until tomorrow." Again, I looked at him blankly.

"Look at the time." He gestured his hand so that I could see the time on his watch.

 

12:04

 

"You should get in now, it's getting really late."

"Oh? O-Okay...." I turned around like a robot.

"Good night Eun Gi!" Lay smiled.

"G-Good night!" I said quickly and slammed the door hard.

The night air was cold but I felt like it's summer. I was literary sweating and my face was super red.

How did I spent so much time with him without realizing that it's 12 o'clock already? Time flies so fast... I thought.

 

End of flashback (still your POV)

 

After showering, I took my books and scribbled some notes on another blank paper beside it, that was when a small piece of paper fell from your book, it said,

 

Eun Gi ya~ Like I said, I need some help in math, help me with this?^^

When divided by x - 1, the polynomial P(x) = x5 + 2x3 +Ax + B, where A and B are constants, the remainder is equal to 2. When P(x) is divided by x + 3, the remainder is equal -314. Find A and B. 

You're the best.

- Mr. Zhang

 

I grinned as I started writing the ways to solve the problem,

 

P(1) = 1+ 2(13) + A*(1) + B = 2 (remainder theorem)

P(-3) = (-3)5 + 2(-3)3 + A*(-3) + B = -314

A = 4

B = -5

And solve the above systems of questions.

P.S. I know I am.

 

I scooted over to grab my uniform, as I took it out of the plastic bag, an envelope slipped out. "Aishh this boy really needs to stop with his childish-letter-give-me thingy." I laughed as I read the letter in the envelope,

 

I'm guessing you've read and solved that math problem.

 

"What is he? A mind reader?" I continued to read the letter carefully,

 

Happy birthday again! I won't be going to school tomorrow /sighs, that's why I insisted on celebrating it today. I'm going on a business trip with my dad to China until the end of October.

 

For no reason, my heart sank. I gulped as my heart felt heavy. "What the hell is happening right now?"

 

Yup, I hate this as much as you do. But what can I do? I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, I didn't have the guts to ruin your birthday. If anything goes wrong, hang on to this number, 02-312-3456. Happy birthday, and goodbye.

Don't miss me,

 

"I won't!" I pouted. But the words he wrote after that surprised me,

 

Cause I'll miss you. See you in a month... 

 

I like you.

 

I felt my hands trembling and they grew cold. "W-What?"

 

Oh, what should I do? I confessed to you. Ha, silly me.

Bye Ms. Seo.

 

A tear fell from my eye, "No no no no! Don't go!" 

 

I ran to the nearest phone booth and dialed his number. After several tones, "Hi-"

"Lay!" I almost shrieked,

"This is Lay, I'm currently busy, if you have anything to talk about, please leave a message."

Voice mail... My heart sank.

"Don't tell me, he's not in the airport is he?" I shivered.

That was when I realized, I've never cared about these things before, I don't care about boys about my looks. That was until he came into my world. He changed me. I....

 

I like him.

 

Without any second thoughts, I ran to catch a cab. In my pajamas. But it's not literally a pajama, it was a white t-shirt with black shorts. Luckily, I brought some changes with me. I manages to get to the airport in thirty minutes. It was two in the morning, hardly anyone is awake. 

I ran and asked one of the security guards, "Excuse me, where's the plane heading to China?"

He looked at me from head to toe and thought that I was crazy or something, "Gate 13, up the corner, down the left. You better hurry or you'll miss-" He was cut off since I ran quickly to where he pointed to.

 

"Excuse me miss, you cannot come in here. I need to see your boarding pass and your passport." A woman stopped me. I didn't give any response, I searched the room thoroughly and saw a boy with his yellow headphones on, sitting on one of the seats there.

"Lay!" I screamed.

"Miss! If you don't give me your passport and boarding pass I'll call security!" Her tone was cold, yet I still didn't pay any attention to her.

"Lay!" I screamed yet again, losing my patience, I shrieked, "YA ZHANG YIXING!" 

He took his headphones off and looked left and right, and then he saw me.

 

"Security!" The woman called.

"Eun Gi?" Lay jogged towards me as he said to the woman, "It's okay, she's my friend. I need to talk to her for a while." He smiled, and in an instant the woman smiled back as if he melted her heart. Ugh. I groaned.

 

"What are you doing here? It's two in the morning! You should be asleep my now, and how about your father? What if he wakes up and find that you're not around? You'll get sick if you don't come home and go to sleep by now you idiot!" Lay scolded me.

A tear fell from my eye as I hugged him tightly, "I-I came to give you this." I faked a smile as I gave him the ways to solve the math problem he asked me before.

"You're an idiot." He glanced at it and hugged me back, tighter. I could feel his warmth, his scent lingered around me, it was the kind of scent that I love, vanilla and peach. I don't want this to end. I don't want to let go.

 

I don't want to let him go.

 

"Attention please, the passengers leaving for China-" The announcement was heard.

"I guess I have to go." Lay broke our hug as he smiled.

"goodbye, take care now." Lay winked as he walked away.

 

No, no, no! I screamed in my head, but I can't move a single bit. I just stood there, frozen.

"Wait Lay!" I managed to scream right before he entered the gate.

"Yes?" He turned around to look at me.

"Don't forget to look at the paper I gave you." I blushed and ran to the exit.

 

From the corner of my eye, I could see Lay rubbing his forehead as he went inside, along with his father.

 

I like you too.

 

That was what I wrote on the paper. I know this is stupid. I know that people would think that I'm over reacting with this. But a month is such a long time. I sighed and looked at the sky as a plane took off.

 

"Goodbye Lay."