Acceptance

Beauty and the Geek

 

 

You tidied your uniform as you tucked a strand of your long black hair back. You looked at your reflection in the mirror and sighed. "Well, here goes nothing."

You smiled to yourself and braided your hair into a pigtail. You were always old fashioned. Back at your previous school, you were always bullied here and there. They would always say that you were a geek, poor, and lonely. Always having bruises on your arms and your legs, your lips were never attractive since it always bleeded.

Everyone knew that your father was a stinking drunk, and you had no one to protect you. No one would ever be by your side, you were none other than the girl that was old fashioned, and the girl that was nothing but ugly.

 

And yes, you supposed those words were true. You have never cared about your looks; what to wear, what to do with your hair, or anything else.

Since your mother passed away in a car accident, your life was never easy. Your father changed, he would come home with his hands roaming on a different woman everyday, he was drunk and would beat you up if you bothered him, earned low pay and have bad grades.

Yes, you were forced to work ever since you were nine years old. You had no choice but to work for your family. You managed to find a job at a café​ quite far from your home at the age of fourteen, but you managed to keep your father and yourself full, even though you have to struggle for food, school and house rent.

 

Your father wasn't helping either, he spent the money you earned recklessly on alcohols and drugs. Yet you kept the rage towards your father to yourself since he is your one and only father. He was once so funny and caring that you admired him.

You wanted him back, so you must work hard for your father to change.

 

Life has its up and downs, but when would your pitiful situation has its ups?

 

"Done." You said as you finished braiding your hair. You put on your big and round eyeglasses and walked outside the staff room, into the café.

"Good morning," You smiled to the costumer, "What would you like?" 

"I'd like a cup of coffee please, extra sugar. And make that brown sugar."

"Right away." You smiled as you backed away from the counter as you took a white mug and poured hot coffee from the jug. You placed the mug on top of a small white plate beside the tissues and the brown sugars.

"Here you go." The costumer handed you the money and took the tray.

"Next please." You smiled.

 

But this time, it was a costumer unlike the others. "Oh?" You chuckled.

"Hi Lay." You smiled.

 

"Hi there, now what would you recommend me for this awfully cold morning?" He smiled back. He was so cute his dimples showed up.

"Umm, how about a hot cappuccino? That was one of your regulars before you started to get up my nose." You grinned.

"Oh, and now you say that I was the one who bugged you? Ms. Seo, you better watch what you're talking to a regular costumer here or I'll place a complain about you." Lay leaned forwards, grinning.

"I get it, I get it." You smiled as you made his cappuccino. 

 

"Here you go, a super hot cup of cappuccino with extra sugar." You smiled.

"And how many times should I tell you to take those glasses off?" Lay snatched your glasses away from your eyes as you tried to protest, "You look better without it." Lay looked at you from head to toe, "And why are your hair still in this ugly pigtail huh?" He lifted one of your pigtails, swinging it left and right.

"What are you doing?" You looked left and right, "I could get fired, and you know how much I needed this job."

"Then you better lose that annoying glasses and pigtail." Lay grinned.

 

You rolled your eyes as you snatched your glasses from him, "Anyway, enjoy your cappuccino Mr. Zhang." You teased.

"I don't think I could enjoy it." Lay leaned even closer as he whispered, "I'm afraid that it's poisonous." He backed away and grinned.

"Poisonous my !" You snapped, but you realized that you were not in a state where you could act like normally. From the corner of your eye, you could see the manager glaring at you and clearing his throat.

 

"Aishh." You cursed in your breath.

"Now now, look at this. I'd better start writing that complain of mine." Lay grinned as he handed you the money.

You took it from his hands as your fingers brushed, his hands were gentle as always. "Here, your change."

"Keep it, it would help you." Lay winked as he took the tray and walked away.

"But-" You tried to call him but he was already on his way to his regular seat. You sighed as you could see another costumer in line, you looked down at the money Lay gave you. "This is quite a lot. I must give it back to him." You put the money safely in your pocket as you took the other costumer's orders.

 

Lay has always been your friend. Actually, he's your only friend.

 

You guys met on a rainy day, Lay rushed to the café​ when it was already closing time. You were moping the floor alone as your fellow workers had gone home, you forgot to turn the open sign to closed and that's why when you started arguing with Lay, you couldn't do anything since he insisted that it was your fault.

And partly because he's a regular in the café and would complain to the manager if you didn't give him the hot cappuccino he usually ordered. Lay is a regular there, you often took his orders and he would always pick a seat right on the corner of the room, beside the window.

He looked down that day, it looked like he had been crying. So you decided to let it go and let him have what he want on that rainy day. As he sat on his regular seat, you didn't mind whether he was looking or not, you kept on moping the floor as your braided pigtails went back and forth. It was super awkward, but you didn't care. 

 

It was until you slightly pushed the table, it was a complete accident, 100% accident. It made his coffee spilled to the floor and his clothes. You apologized and tried to wipe it with a clean napkin but the weird thing is, it made him chuckle. He said that your accident made his day better. He said that by that coffee stain, he could take his mind off from the trouble he made.

And from that day on, you began to know him better. You began to know each other better. And you became friends with him just like that. He was the only one who could make you laugh, he slightly gave you the thought to care about your looks better and he was the only one who could make you act normally; not too tight like a geek.

 


 

You walked out from your room quietly. You saw your father sleeping on the floor with a bottle on his right hand. You tiptoed towards him and covered him with a blanket.

"Dad, I made it." You smiled as you brushed his hair back, gently and careful enough for not waking him up. "I got the scholarship," There was a long pause, "I'll make us the way we were before, I promise." You smiled, "We'll have a nice house, a nice car and we could play at the amusement park like we used too." You grinned as a tear fell from your eye.

"So hang in there okay? I'll be late, I'll be going dad." You kissed his forehead as you left his room.

 

Seo Eun Gi. Yes, you. You got a scholarship to Grey High School! How great is that? Many students applied but only two could make it, and one of them is you! This chance only come once in a lifetime and it means that your hard work paid off.

 

You wore your finest clothes to school since you didn't have the chance to buy the uniforms yet. Your white shirt was tucked in your black jeans as you wore a simple black jacket in front. As usual, you wore your glasses and braided your hair into a pigtail. You knew that Lay studies there and something in you wanted to look un-old fashioned for today.

"I lost my mind." You whispered to yourself as you walked across the street.

 


 

You reached the school thirty minutes later. As you walked in the school lobby, you gasped slightly. "What's this? Is this really a school?" You looked around. There were no stairs, just elevators. Every room was air conditioned and it was incredibly big.

"Where is the school office?" You walked to the corridors but the school office was nowhere to be found. As you peeked through one of the class windows, you could see that class has started since no one was around the school corridors. The class itself was big, you could see that all of the students there using their own personal laptop.

"I need to find the school office soon." You snapped yourself. As you kept going, you opened one of the doors. It lead to the indoor basketball gym. "I guess it's not here." You closed the door and turned your back.

 

"Oh, you scared me!" You slightly shrieked. In front of you was a freakishly hot blonde. He was wearing a basketball uniform with his white basket shoes and a basketball on his right hand.

"Who are you?" He asked, "No one is allowed in the gym at this hour." 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I was looking for the school office, do you know where it is?"

That guy looked at you from head to toe, examining you. "Ah, the transfer. No wonder you had no sense of fashion." He raised an eyebrow, "Down the hall to your left." He pointed.

"Thanks." You said and quickly walked away from there. You were used to being called old fashioned so you didn't mind him saying that.

 


 

"Here, all you have to do is to fill all this form and here's your schedule." The teacher gave you a list of paper and a schedule book.

"And my uniform?"

"Uniform? Oh that doesn't include in the scholarship. You need to buy it on your own." The teacher looked at your profile and scoffed, "Well, good luck with that."

"You could go home for today, school starts tomorrow at seven, don't be late. And no uniforms? No getting inside my class." She smirked at you.

"Yes." You bowed and left the school office. "What was that? Is she even a teacher? Are all students here like this?" You grumbled to yourself.

 

On the way to the school gate, you could see a girl coming out from a white car. She wore the school uniform with a white winter coat outside. Her bag seemed expensive, she wore a cute little hat on top of her hair and a diamond necklace on her neck.

"Wah, she's so pretty." You talked to yourself as you examined her from afar. You looked at her and back to you, your appearance was entirely different from hers which made you shrug, "Who cares about looks? I'm here to study and that's it."

You walked to the school gate as soon as you saw her walking in the school lobby. Before you left the school, you turned around to face it, "I'm ready for you." You did a hwaiting, "For us." You remembered your father and left.

 

"Seo Eun Gi?" A boy said in disbelief as soon as he saw you walking across the street with your pigtails swinging back and forth.

"Seo Eun Gi? Who's that?" Another one beside him poked his side, seeing that his friend has no reaction, he smirked and looked at your direction. "She's cute, if you're not telling her who she is, I call dibs on her." He grinned.

"Go away." He pushed him aside,

 

"She's not like the rest of us, she's..." There was a long pause,

 

"Different."