Deceived

Beauty and the Geek

The classic music played as invited guests were dancing along in pairs, their movements graceful and boring. There was no twist, no DJs, no break-dance, no hip-hop dances, just regular tangos, and it was boring the hell out of Luhan.

He held the wine glass with his right hand while his other arm was linked to Sora. She was gleefully greeting people whom she and his own father called high classed people, while he himself called them self-sophisticated strangers. His fake smile was going to wear out soon while his legs were ready to run out the room when that happens.

With a sigh, he kept eyeing the room, observing how people could enjoy this stupid uninteresting ball with laughs and smiles on their faces. He knew that some were only there for the food while some were only there to win over a higher status’ heart so that their business would be going smoothly.

 

Sora noticed his stiff behavior and gently tugged his arm. When it caught his attention, she smiled and whispered quietly so that only they could hear, “Loosen up a bit, your father would be upset if he sees you like this.”

Luhan rolled his eyes. “I don’t give a damn about it.” he said harshly before finishing the entire glass of wine in a one-shot and placing the glass gently on the table next to him.

Sora’s heart clenched as he said those words. She knew that he hated her, but what else could she do? She looked at him with a hurtful expression that even Luhan couldn’t ignore. He shifted his gaze to her with raised eyebrows. “What?”

She shook her head gently and genuinely smiled - which was a new thing to Luhan, “It’s nothing. If you really want to get away from me that much, I’ll help you distract your dad for you.”

Luhan’s mouth hung agape. What the hell did she just say?

 

“Are you really Park Sora?” he asked, eyeing her ever so deeply.

She broke into a quiet laugh. “Of course, why?”

“It’s just that,” he said, trying to come up with much nicer words, “You’re acting different. Like you’re so nice that I just can’t help but believe that you’re not you. What is it? What happened? Did you get brainwashed or something?”

“That’s rude, Luhan.” she said, slapping him lightly on the chest. “I don’t know either. Maybe it’s because I wanted to show you the real me, not the y me who wants to win your heart like it’s the only thing that matters.”

“Whoa, now I don’t know who to like anymore, the Sora or the angel Sora.” he joked, earning a smile from her.

 

Suddenly, the ballroom was opened, and a couple came inside the room, looking ever so perfectly matched with their exquisite, small steps. The crowd began to eye them carefully as whispered gossips were then thrown all over the room.

“Psh, who do they think they are? Walking in like that with only an hour left to spare? They’re way beyond late.” Luhan commented calmly as he couldn’t see who the couple was because of his not-so-tall height.

But Sora’s body grew rather stiff. Her heart was beating so loud that she was afraid that Luhan could hear them and it was beating so hard that it was ready to pop out from her chest. Her grip on his arm tightened as she gulped her saliva.

 

“What’s wrong?” a voice said, snapping her out of her nightmares.

She turned to look at the deer standing beside her with a confused face. “What is?” she asked back.

“What’s wrong with your face?”

“Is that supposed to be an insult?”

“No, stupid,” he said, “Your face is so pale that if you cover half of your face with your hair, you would be easily compared with a ghost.”

“Really?” she asked as she brought her free hand up to cup her cheek.

“Yes, now tell me what’s wrong.” Luhan demanded, “I seriously despite the strong, arrogant, Sora, but seeing the weak, fragile Sora scares me more. You know, you-“

Before he could finish his sentence, Sora’s abrupt movement shocked him. She tiptoed and gave his cheek a light, gentle kiss before she opened to say the least expected word there is. “I’m sorry.”

 

“W-What? What are you apologizing for? Stealing another cheek kiss from me?” Luhan joked again, trying to ease the heavy atmosphere surrounding them.

“Just,” she sighed, “If all of these times my actions were y and annoying, just know that it was all because I wanted to protect you. I’m so sorry that I failed; I failed to do the only thing that matters to me. And I’m sorry that everything turned into such a mess because of me.”

“What are you saying? Why are you sorry all of the sudden? And why is it that your tone makes me feel like you’re leaving?”

For the second time of the night, Sora smiled a genuine smile that could make men’s hearts melt, sometimes for a second; Luhan could even feel his knees grow weak. Luhan expected her to answer his questions, but her smile was the only thing he got as a reply.

 

He was about to open his mouth and throw remarks at her, but the sound of a microphone being tapped echoed around the room, followed by a ringing sound. He turned his gaze to the stage and saw a young man way taller than him with brown hair and white tux, shining under the stage lights.

“A very good evening, ladies and gentlemen.” he began, “My name is Lee Jongsuk and as all of you guys should know, I’m the photographer of the beautiful, lovely Park Sora.”

Luhan scoffed, “That’s one cheesy line, isn’t it?” He peered over beside him and saw that no one was there anymore. He looked around, wondering how Sora could manage to slip off his arm without him noticing. And the weird part was that it was Sora that broke their linked arms first, Sora, and not him.

Something is wrong. Something is definitely off. He could feel it, anxiety running all over his veins.

 

“First of all, my apologies for being late.” He chuckled, “It’s just that my date has some troubles with her dress and makeup that it took me forever to force her into wearing something refined for tonight’s ball.”

The crowed softened as awws and oohs slipped from their lips. Jongsuk continued, “And actually, the reason that I wanted to make a speech here is because of her stupid brain that is incapable of noticing my soft spot that was fixed on her for the past ten years.”

His eyes searched the crowd and Luhan could swear that he glared at him. The end of his lips tugged up into a smirk as he continued yet again, “Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to my date,”

 

The crowd began to whisper out loud as the spotlight was directed to a particular girl standing in the middle of the crowd. Luhan’s eyes widened and his heart skipped a beat. You were there, looking like a complete goddess with light makeup on your face, an elegant white dress that stopped until mid thigh, golden heels, and curled brown hair.

“Hey, isn’t that the girl that Young Master Luhan kissed at their school ball?” An elderly standing beside him whispered quietly to her friend, but Luhan’s sharp ear caught it easily.

“Yeah, I think so. I didn’t know that he would be such a player, kissing a random girl like that even though he has a fiancée. And also knowing that the girl has another man in her heart, what a shame. Kids these days, they really can’t control their hormones.” The other one replied as she sent looks at the poor boy.

 

Luhan’s hands slightly trembled as whispered gossips travelled quickly around the room. Even though his father was nowhere at sight, he could feel himself being death-glared by him. Then, Jongsuk grinned playfully, “It was quite a shock, was it? Anyway,” He turned his gaze to his date, “What’s your answer? Is it a yes, or a no?”

She looked down and hesitated as the lump in grew bigger and bigger. She glanced at the destroyed heir with the corner of her eyes as she mouthed some words only both of them could understand. With a heavy sigh, she looked at Jongsuk with a smile.

 


 

After the night ended, a girl walked to the backyard of the ballroom with heavy steps. She approached another woman in red. The woman turned to look at the broken girl in front of her and scoffed.

“Why are you so late?”

“Aren’t things going too far? How could you?! Did you see the look on his face?” she said, earning a slap across her face.

“How dare you raise such a tone on your mother?!” The woman yelled, “Things aren’t going too far, it’s you who is growing fond of that boy. Your job was to seduce him and then humiliate him to the point that he would be kicked out of that house, and now what?” she said, her face inching closer to the girl with tears in her eyes, “Don’t tell me,”

“Do you like him?” she asked as the girl looked away to avoid her glare.

 

The woman scoffed, “What a stupid girl. I knew things would be easier if I do it alone.” she said before crossing her arms and eyed the other one, “You were the one who said that you were sick of your poor life. You said you wanted a better future, together with your family. Now that your father has done his job, you do yours!”

“All you have to do is to capture his heart, and now you’re the one getting seduced. I can’t believe you.” The woman said as she rubbed her aching temple.

 

“But mom, what about Sora? You don’t know how much it hurts for me to see him hating that innocent girl.” The younger one commented, earning a scowl from the woman.

“Now you feel sympathy towards the girl? You said you hated her. You said you wanted to take her position, and now you said you don’t want him to get mad at her?” she said, “Isn’t that a good sign? The boy is head over heels for you and he thinks that the bad one is the innocent girl while the person he trusts the most is the one behind all of this schemes.”

“I-I never thought that I’d feel this way either, mom.” The girl in white said, “I never thought that I’d fall in love all over again, but it just did. I don’t want to hurt him any longer, mom. Even if our throne is in line.”

“Nonsense!” The woman roared, “Remember your past life, remember Yoon Ra! His dreadful father did that to her and are you just going to stand there and watch? Stand up for yourself and together we can take our rightful position.”

 

“So are you with me, Seo Eun Gi?”

She sighed, “The moment I said ‘yes’ to Jongsuk oppa is the biggest mistake of my life. And no matter how much goodness I’ll do in exchange for his trust again, it wouldn’t be gained.”

I’ll make it up to you Luhan, my knight in shining armor. She remembered the mouthed words from her lips before nodding. “I’m with you.”

 

Everything was going as planned, and deep inside, she knew that the old cheerful, innocent was long gobbled up by the new Eun Gi, Park Eun Gi, the cruel, merciless heir of Park Belle.

 

Because in a world where everything is ruled by money and power, there is no such thing as happily ever after.

 

 


Sorry for the long update, I'm really sorrryyyy gaahh :( And i blame it all on my writer's block hahahah. Anyway, this is a very confusing chapter, but everything would be revealed soon enough.

One clue though, you guys hated the wrong person all along.

DON'T BE MAD AT ME I'M SO SORRY /BOWS 90 DEGREES/

  

 

DRAMA AND LIFE IS CRUEL, I KNOW. LEMME HUG YOU.