News

Beauty and the Geek

 

 

Your POV

 

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Those words echoed around my head.

Last night, I didn't get the chance to reply since I had to go home. I found my father fast asleep on the floor, but this time, there was no liquor, no alcohols, no drugs, nothing. So I crept beside him to cover him up with his blanket.

I showered and went to my room. No matter how much I tried to sleep, I just can't. Seriously I'm like so happy I couldn't think of anything more than that.

 

I'm going out with the one I liked and the one who likes me.

I'm going out with the one closest to me, my best friend.

I'm going out with the one who understands me, the one who accepts me knowing my background.

I have everything a girl wanted in her love life.

 

But the question is, why do I feel empty?

I looked at my phone that received a new text. 

A smile crept in my face as I read the message.

 

Zhang Yixing ♡ [11.14pm]

Good night Eun Gi, sleep well and have good nightmares about me okay?

I'll haunt you if you don't ^^

Love you.

 

Sent [11.15pm]

Good night you annoying unicorn, and no I won't dream about you no matter how much you haunt me.

God you're so cheesy, go away you!

Love you too.

 

But hold that thought for a second.

Do I really love him?

 

Zhang Yixing ♡ [11.15pm]

Don't bother to go to sleep then.

Cause you'll be awake in my dreams.

Oh and don't forget our date tomorrow, I'll pick you up at six.

 

Sent [11.17pm]

Ugh, I'm going to sleep.

I won't.

Good night.

 

I didn't bother replying his other messages. I opened your text books and went to work.

I had so much to study yet I have to go on a date tomorrow, great timing Zhang Yixing. 

 

 

I woke up the next morning and can't spot my dad anywhere. This was really weird for him to go so early in the morning, but I guess he won't do something stupid in the morning since drug stores and clubs haven't opened yet.

I decided to spent my time studying again for the upcoming final exams. Yes, I was such an enthusiast. After hours and hours of studying, it was three hours before the date.

My dad hasn't came back yet, I was worried that he wouldn't come back so I checked to the land lady to see whether she saw him or not. Thankfully, she said he went to do something important.

Important? Since when did he has something important to do? But it doesn't matter, I couldn't track him anyway since he has no phone so I let out a sigh and went back home.

 

Since it's the weekend and I spent the night until three o'clock and this morning to study, I decided to tidy myself up for today's date.

I opened my small drawer and literally rummaged it. I rustled my morning hair in frustration as I couldn't spot any decent clothes to wear for my date. So I decided to go clothes shopping.

I went to the cheapest store I could find near my house. It wasn't really cheap, it was normal, but according to Grey High's students, this shop is as what they say, garbage.

 

I looked around, but nothing caught my eye. After minutes; more likely hours of searching, I found one that really suits my taste. I tried it on and it looks okay on me.

Okay okay, I know I'm a bit old fashioned, but who cares? At least now I have something decent to wear. This time, I braided my hair to one side and took off my huge glasses.

I texted Lay to pick me here and with a cute reply from him, I smiled and went to the lobby to wait for him. I walked through the stores and as I passed the technic store, I saw something.

 

Something I despised.

Something I wished wasn't real.

Something, no, someone I cared.

 

Luhan was live on TV.

 

"Good evening ladies and gentleman. You're back with me, Dae Jun and welcome to the hottest gossips here in Seoul. For today's guests, we have Grey Company's future heir and Park Belle's future heir. Give it up for Luhan and Park So Ra!" The announcer said.

The crowd went wild as they clapped their hands and cheered for them. Luhan came in, followed by So Ra, she was wearing a kind of revealing black dress as she sat down beside Luhan on the couch.

"Please, introduce yourself!" Dae Jun smiled to them.

"Good evening everyone, I'm Park So Ra." So Ra smiled cutely.

"And I'm Luhan." Luhan said.

 

"Now, I've heard the rumors." There was a short pause, and then Dae Jun continued, "And I know you guys are dating."

"Ah about that?" Luhan smiled shyly, "I didn't think the rumor would spread this quick but since you've mentioned it, yes, we're dating." Luhan held So Ra's hand gently as he locked eyes with her.

Aawwss and ohhss filled the crowd.

 

My heart dropped. I knew I shouldn't be feeling this since I'm dating Lay but I don't know how to stop. My heart hurts, and I don't know why.

 

"So tell me, how did it happen? I'm sure the crowd would love to hear this." Dae Jun said.

"Well, it's starts when I was invited to Luhan's home. At first I didn't know why but I saw his parents and my mom there." So Ra smiled, and then she turned to Luhan, "And there he was, with a bouquet of roses as he asked me to be his girlfriend." She emphasized the word girlfriend.

"I know it's not much for a girl like her, but I'm really glad she accepted it." Luhan smiled as both of them locked eyes.

 

I'm not glad. Wait, what?

 

Then the crowd went wild again as they screamed, "Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!"

 

No. No. No.

 

"I'd love to kiss her but I don't think I'll have the guts to do it in public," Luhan chuckled, "Especially on TV."

"Aww, don't be like that. Sure you have the guts!" Dae Jun laughed, "I mean the crowd wants it!"

"If they say so." So Ra smirked as she went closer to Luhan.

They crashed lips that lasted for five seconds and then So Ra broke it as she kissed his cheeks, "I love you."

Luhan looked dazed but he was soon aware, "I love you too."

 

My head was spinning and my heart dropped. It felt so heavy and I was shivering. I know this mall's cold but still shivering? What's wrong with me?

It can't be true right? Those words can't be true. I mean, back then he defended me when So Ra was trying to hurt me, but now his actions were the ones that hurt me. Action speaks louder than words. Now I know exactly what they meant by that.

Why was I feeling this? Luhan's nothing to me. We're just best friends, that's all. And Lay? He's my best friend and my boyfriend. Who cares about Luhan? He has his girlfriend and I have my boyfriend.

But please, help me stop this feeling, it hurts so bad and I don't know why. I held my bag tightly as I collapsed on the floor. People were watching and was whispering. I knew I looked weird but I can't stand up.

"Luhan..... You bad jerk." I said to myself as tears flew down my cheeks. That was when I received a message from Lay, he was already here and was waiting for me. I need to get up. I need to move.

 

I can't fall for someone who already has other feelings for someone.

 

Besides, So Ra is pretty. She is rich and she is smart. How could I possibly compare to that? I am poor and I have ordinary looks. No matter how much I try, I'll never be like her.

I stood up and wiped my wet eyes with the back of my hand. Slowly, I walked to the lobby and saw Lay sitting comfortably in his car waving at me. I forced a smile and waved back at him.

"Hello there braided woman, what took you so long?" Lay teased the moment I got in the car.

"Really?" I faked a laugh, "I was in the ladies room if you don't mind."

"Nah it's okay, take your time." Lay smiled, "But what's wrong with your face?" Lay said as he leaned closer as he touched my cheeks, "They're puffy and your eyes are red. Have you been crying?" He asked.

"Crying? Pfft no." I laughed, "I spent the whole night studying, maybe that's why my eyes are red."

"Don't lie to me," His voice was deep, "I know you too well to know that you're lying." Lay exhaled, "Now tell me, who's the one who made you cry? I'll kill that bastard."

"Kill?" I couldn't help but laugh, "A unicorn like you couldn't possibly kill anyone." There was a short pause, Lay tried to complain but I cut him off, "There's nothing wrong with me, so let's go, I'm hungry."

"Fine, but if you need anything, you know you could tell me." Lay grinned and started the engine.

 

He drove slowly as my mind wandered around thinking about that scene. That horrible and disgusting scene. Why? How? I've never seen them get close like that. Was all the knight in shining armor thing a fluke? Was the kind and gentle Prince Charming just an act? Was I only used as a toy?

Yeah, that could be true. Prince Charming and the knight in shining armor was the same person. And he had a princess. The princess was gorgeous and was rich beyond belief. The princess had a maid too, and that could possibly be me.

As my thoughts wander off, Lay's phone vibrated and he picked up, "Hello?" I could hear loud voices coming from that phone, and it sounded like EXO M, "Yes I'm out, what news?" Lay continued. There was a short pause, "What? Seriously? Where? I'm not alone you know."

"Yes you are alone." I teased as I poked his side, Lay grinned and continued talking, "With who? I'll tell you later. Okay okay I'll ask."

Lay turned to look at me as he took off his phone from his ear without ending the call, "The guys have important news to tell us. They want us to meet up with them, is it okay with you if we bail this date and hang with them?"

"Sure, why not? This would be a boring date anyway if I have to spend it with you." I teased and Lay hit my arm playfully as he continued to talk on his phone, "Yeah we're going there. Bye."

 


 

Lay took me to a Chinese restaurant. It was classy with red lanterns and all Chinese decorations. Lay let me led the way and I spotted EXO M laughing and playing at the corner of the room. I must admit, they're the noisiest at the room. Tao spotted us and he screamed, "Eun Gi!" He ran towards me and tried to hug me but Lay stopped him as he grabbed his arm, twisting him around, "Hold there horsy."

"Hyung! I thought you're with a friend, but why don't you tell me you were with Eun Gi?" Tao said as soon as the three of us sat down on their table. Lay and Kris was beside me while Tao, Chen and Xiumin sat in front of us. They greeted me cheerfully and they teased Lay for bringing me with him.

"I didn't say I was with a friend." Lay said, "I forgot the word girl in front of it. I was with my girlfriend." Again, he emphasizes the word girlfriend. I poked him on his side but he ignored it.

"Heol...." Chen's mouth opened, "I can't believe this."

"We're going to be uncles soon!" Tao chimed.

"Uncles? What the heck are you talking about?" Kris laughed, "Congrats man." Kris said in English.

"Let's have a steamed buns party to celebrate this!" Xiumin said.

"Congratulations Eun Gi and Lay!" Chen sung.

"Ummm, thanks?" I said shyly.

"Our noona is too cute." Tao whined, "Lay! You better take care of her or I call dibs on her."

"No way, she's mine." Lay teased me as I laughed.

 

All of us had a blast playing the truth game. They used an empty liquor bottle we drank earlier at the center and swirled it over and over. It was my turn and Chen asked, "So Eun Gi, was Lay your first love?"

"So straight forward. I thought there won't be questions like this." I said.

"Nah, this is not so straight forward, come on, I want to know the answer." Lay teased. I poked him again and said, "Actually, no."

Lay looked disappointed with my answer as he cleared his throat, "Move on." He swirled the bottle, it pointed at Kris, but then he turned to look at me and asked, "So who is your first love?"

"Why are you asking me? The bottle is pointing at Kris." I complained.

"My bad," Lay said as he turned the bottle as it pointed to me, "Now, who's your first love?"

EXO M leaned their bodies towards me, eager to know my answer. I sighed and answered it, "He was my childhood friend. He's long gone now so let's skip this game shall we?"

"Moving on then." Lay sighed in defeat.

 

After a few more rounds, Lay asked, "Ah right guys, what was the thing you wanted to tell us about?"

"We should wait for the man of the hour to arrive." Xiumin said.

"Oh wait! There he is!" Tao pointed to someone. I turned to look at who it was and saw him. The bad jerk who made me cry before. The bad jerk with great acting skills. Luhan was here. We locked eyes for awhile, then he took a seat right beside Chen, in front of me.

"He's here." Lay said, "Now what is it? Spill."

"Our Luhan hyung is................" Chen said, but it was continued by Tao's chime, "Dating Park So Ra!"

"Seriously? You're dating that witch?" Lay asked.

I was faking a smile the whole time, I tried to look up and saw Luhan, staring at me. Then he opened his mouth, "Yes I am. It was announced this morning." He said without breaking our gaze.

I was hurting like hell and I don't know why. My heart felt heavy and my head was hot. Tears was building in my eyes as it got watery. "But how? I thought you hated her." Lay asked again.

"No, I love her." Luhan said, he didn't break our gaze either this time. His gaze was fixed to me, and only me.

 

"That's great then!" Chen chimed, "Now we have two couples to celebrate!"

"Two couples?" Luhan asked as he broke our gaze.

"Yeah, Lay and Eun Gi are dating." Chen said. Luhan stiffen as he looked at me again, "Really? Were his words true?"

"Yes." I nodded as Lay put his arms around my waist, "She's mine now." Lay teased me as I chuckled.

"Now now let's continue our feast!" Xiumin cheered as he ordered for round two.

"Yeah I'm not hungry." Luhan said, then with a quick movement, he kicked my foot under the table. It made the soda in front of me fall and completely ruined my dress. I stood up in a hurry to wipe it. Lay tried to help but he was cut by Luhan's actions, "Oopps, sorry. My bad. Here, let me help you clean up." His tone was flat as he stood up and walked towards me.

He grabbed my arm, I struggled to reject, but his grip hardened as he dragged me all the way up to the restaurant rooftop.

 

He pushed me as I yelled, "What the hell is wrong with you? I said I didn't need your help so get out of my way!" I walked pass him but he held my hand, yanking me towards him. "Not letting go?" I glared at him.

"You know what? I'm sick and tired of your behavior. You went around saying that you're my knight in shining armor. You'll protect me even though you can't be Prince Charming who gets all the girls. But now what? You went around kissing girls on TV and told them you love them?" I screamed, my eyes were watery and tears fell down my cheek, "I was a fool. I was a fool thinking that maybe, just maybe, I could someday be the princess."

I glared at him, "But you know what? That princess had been hurt too long she can't wait for the knight in shining armor anymore. She didn't stay and wait in her castle, instead, she put on her shining armor and went to battle alone. And now she despises that knight. There's no happy ending in real life. This world is just way too cruel." I cried.

He didn't say a word, his eyes looked tired and his face was pale, instead he turned me around and hugged me from behind. "Sorry." There was a short pause, "Sorry for lying to you like that. But So Ra's the one I love. Not you."

 

And the bomb dropped.

 

He didn't love me. He never did. He said it himself.

 

He and I, we could never be together. Just like he said, the knight in shining armor, doesn't get the girl.