Whispers and Pointed Fingers

How I Met Byun Baekhyun

"Mr. Baekhyun? Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun looked up to see Eunji staring at him. He looked around and sat up in his chair, running a hand through his hair. He bowed in apology at the other businessmen who turned to look at him. Eunji nodded at him to make sure he was okay before continuing with the meeting.

"As I was saying, we are looking to expand first to Japan as a test run before moving to other Asian countries such as China, Thailand, India...."

The voices started to fade into the background as Baekhyun looked down at the paper copy of the presentation in front of him. He fiddled with his hands as Chanmi's face flooded his head. It was the first time she had looked at him with such anger and sadness. She was normally such a happy person that it was out of the ordinary for him.

"What do you think Mr. Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun looked at Eunji in confusion, "I think it's a great idea?"

"With Mr. Baekhyun's approval, we will launch preparations immediately."

"Brilliant idea!" One of the businessman laughed, "As expected from the matchmaking king!"

'Matchmaking king.....'

Baekhyun let out a faint smile, "Thank you. I won't disappoint."

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

"I didn't expect to see you so soon Chanmi!"

Chanmi awkwardly smiled as Kris led her inside the elevators. He motioned for his driver to grab her bags but she squeezed them tighter to her. Kris smiled as his grasp on her hand grew tighter. All of a sudden she felt a sharp pain in her stomach.

"I know. I had to tell you something important."

"You should have called. That way you wouldn't have waited."

"I should have."

The elevator doors opened and Kris gently pulled her out of the elevators. She turned to look at the workers who looked her up and down in confusion before turning the corner. Kris's secretary opened the huge doors that led to his office. She could feel the pain in her stomach grow worse.

"Have a seat. Is there anything you would like?"

Chanmi shook her head as Kris motioned for everyone else to get out. He took off his jacket and sat down in front of her. She could feel tears b a she struggled to breathe. All of her confidence was completely gone from the walk up to his office.

"You said you wanted to tell me something?"

"I, umm, I just wanted to give these back to you."

Chanmi held out the shopping bags towards Kris who stared at her in confusion. He didn't reach out for them but instead pushed them back towards her gently. He smiled softly when he noticed her red cheeks.

"They're gifts for you."

"I can't accept them."

"Why not?"

Chanmi let out a deep breath and stood up. She placed the bags near Kris and grabbed her ripped purse. She looked around at the huge office with expensive furniture and art pieces. She looked down at herself and smiled.

"Because I'm not the type of girl you're looking for."

"What do you mean?"

Kris watched as Chanmi wiped away her tears. He stood up to give her his handkerchief and watched as she shook her head. The room was quiet except for her quiet sobs. It took all of his power not to give her a hug.

"I'm really sorry but I can't be the type of girl you want. I'm not athletic, I have no educational background and I don't come from a rich family. We're two different people. And I don't- I can't be the girl you're looking for. I can't be someone I'm not."

"So does this mean...?"

"Yes. I don't think I can continue our dates."

Chanmi quickly bowed before walking away. She felt him grab her hand and place his handkerchief into it with a soft smile. He brushed back her hair and simply nodded. She smiled back at him and walked away before turning back to see Kris staring after her with a soft smile. He held gently waved goodbye to her before sitting back down.

She pushed the button for the elevator and walked inside. The pain in her stomach was gone and she felt so much lighter. Chanmi stared at the handkerchief in her hands before tying it around her purse. The doors opened and she stepped outside into the lobby. She stopped in her tracks when she noticed people staring at her and whispering to each other.

'Is that the girl that our ceo was dating?'

'No way! He wouldn't date a girl like that.'

'He probably just slept with her and he was buying her off.'

'Do you see what she's wearing?'

Chanmi clenched her hands tightly as she struggled to breathe. The walls started to spin and she struggled to hold back her tears. She winced in pain when she saw her nails digging into her palms. The pain in her stomach came back and she wanted to throw up. She looked down at the floor as she ran outside. Chanmi ran for several blocks before her purse's strap broke again and everything fell onto the floor.

She struggled to catch her breath as she fell to the floor. She covered to hide her sobs as she tried to shake away the whispers from her head. After several minutes, she finally stood up and wiped away her tears. Chanmi jumped when her phone started ringing.

"Hello?"

"Park Chanmi! How is it possible you forgot to call me on my birthday!? Your own brother!"

"I'm sorry," Chanmi stifled a sob, "I'm so sorry."

"Chanmi? Is everything okay?"

"No. I don't feel right."

"Chanmi, what's wrong? Were you crying?"

Chanmi started crying as she felt the pain in her stomach get worse. She reached down to throw everything back into her purse. The looks from other people made everything worse. It took all the strength she had not to throw up right then and there.

"Please Chanmi, tell me what's wrong!"

"I don't think I can do this anymore."

"Do what?"

"Everything."

"Chanmi?" Her brother's voice grew soft, "Breathe. You can do this."

Chanmi shook her head as she hung up. She grabbed her purse and headed back home. The pain was gone and she somehow managed to bring her breathing back to normal. She wrapped her arms around herself tighter as the evening grew colder. She stopped in front of a small stand nearby when something caught her eye.

"How much is that bag?"

"Which one?"

"The white one."

The owner handed her a large white canvas bag, "I'll give it to you for $10. You're the first one to ask about it."

"Really? Why?"

The owner shrugged, "No one wants it. Maybe because it'll get dirty quickly."

'Don't waste your time on something that can't be fixed.' 

Chanmi looked down at her own purse. Baekhyun's words rung in her ears as she paid for the bag. She dumped her things into the new one and walked to a nearby trash can. With all her strength she threw it inside, fighting back tears.

"I don't need to be fixed," Chanmi whispered, "I don't need to be fixed."