Bittersweet

How I Met Byun Baekhyun

'And there's no more room for you Chanmi.'

Chanmi shook her head and looked up at Baekhyun. She started to clean her ears, her hands trembling as she processed what he said. The silence grew worse as she slid her knees underneath her chin. Her eyes grew blank and she stared aimlessly at the wall. Baekhyun reached out and his eyes hardened when she pulled away.

'I don't need you anymore Chanmi.'

"So what does that mean?" Chanmi looked up, "You're kicking me out?"

"No!" Baekhyun practically screamed, "It just means that I'll be so busy that we won't be able to see each other for a while."

"So you'll still help me?"

"Sort of?"

Her eyes grew dark, "So you're leaving me on my own? You're telling me to get lost?"

The last question sounded more like a statement.

"It means," He sat beside her, "That I can only see you if there's an emergency."

Chanmi felt her lips tremble and she nodded, wiping away at her tears so that he won't notice. She turned to Baekhyun and smiled widely, not quite reaching her eyes. He smiled back and went to hug her but stopped when she abruptly stood up. The silence grew more deafening as her bedroom door closed with a silent click.

"Good night," Chanmi's voice was soft, "Lock the door when you leave."

"Good night Chanmi," Baekhyun murmured, "Sweet dreams."

••••••••

"That was a low blow Eunji."

"I didn't know she would be there!"

Baekhyun hissed as he gulped down his fourth shot of soju, staring at his annoying cousin. Her hair was beyond messy, sticking out randomly as if a bird had decided to make her hair its home. She poured him another glass and yawned for the nth time. Eunji growled softly as he gulped it down, rubbing his throat from the pain. There was a loud thud and the kitchen light came on. 

"Yah! Byun Baekhyun! What the hell are you doing here!?"

"Oh! Auntie!"

Mrs. Song stepped into the living room and yanked him up, ignoring his screams as she tugged his ear. Eunji followed after with a smug smile and sat down. Baekhyun rubbed his ear as his aunt began to cook, his feet swinging back and forth as he sat on a stool. He motioned for Eunji to bring back the soju but stopped when Mrs. Song glared.

"No drinking until you've eaten," She slapped his head, "What makes you think you can come here and do whatever you want without eating first?"

"Girl troubles omma," Eunji yawned, "He doesn't have anyone else to bother so that's why he came over."

"It's not girl troubles," Baekhyun snapped, "Just work troubles."

"It's the same thing."

"No it's not."

Mrs. Song slammed the table and smiled as Baekhyun sipped at the soup in front of him. She sat down and waited patiently for him to finish eating before speaking. He avoided her gaze but gave up when she cleared .

"ByunBaek," She sighed, "You shouldn't ask Eunji to drink with you."

"Thanks," Eunji yawned, "I love you omma."

"She's a terrible influence. She'll turn you into an alcoholic."

"Yah! Omma!"

Eunji rolled her eyes and stood up to go to sleep, pinching Baekhyun before running away. He cursed under his breath and stood up as well. Mrs. Song cleared once more and Baekhyun turned to look at her. She motioned for him to sit down and cocked her head to the side.

"You don't look well."

"I'm tired."

"What did Eunji mean about girl troubles?"

"Work troubles."

"Okay," She chuckled," Work troubles then."

"A client of mine," Baekhyun emphasized client, "She's a major priority but I had to tell her that I can't help her anymore."

"And? That doesn't sound so bad."

"She looked different. Angry but sad at the same time."

Mrs. Song nodded, "You hurt her feelings?"

"I don't think it was that," Baekhyun argued, "She's always happy and knows that I can be mean to her."

"Then it's something else."

Baekhyun shrugged and went back to grab the bottle of soju. He poured one for himself and for his aunt, smiling when she chugged it down without hesitation. They stared at each other in silence and Mrs. Song poured him a shot. She sighed to herself when she noticed the dark circles.

"What do you think it is?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well," She tapped her chin, "Why is she such a big priority?"

"Well she's weird," He sighed, "She doesn't know how to behave with others and she doesn't know how to take care of anyone but herself," Baekhyun grew frustrated, "It's like taking care of a baby."

"You're such an idiot ByunBaek."

"Why?"

Mrs. Song bit her lips and shook her head, "She's lonely. She's sad and lonely and scared."

••••••••

Chanmi ran towards the kitchen and fumbled with the plastic water bottle as she tried to drink. was closing and her eyes were almost swollen shut. Her fingers shook as she wiped back her tears. Her chest was burning as she tried to control her sobs from waking the neighbors up. She let out a gasp once the water cooled her burning throat.

The house was quiet except for Pororo's snores as Chanmi settled herself onto the couch. Her fingers played with her phone as she turned it on. She scrolled down the list of contacts before stopping on one. Her finger immediately stopped before dialing. She skimmed throught the contacts and noticed another one. She forced herself to calm down as the call came through.

"Oh my Chanmi. Why are you calling all of a sudden?"

"Omma, I just missed you."

"Really? Are you sure? You don't need anything?"

"No, I just wanted to hear your voice."

Chanmi snuggled deeper into the couch and rolled into a ball. She closed her eyes as her mother chuckled on the other line. Her eyes welled up and she covered as she started crying again.

"My Chanmi, have you been going to the doctor? We don't want the same thing to happen, remember?"

"Yeah omma," She lied, "Every week just like I promised."

"That's good," Her mother cooed, "Once you get better, you can be with us."

"I thought you were coming back."

"Your dad and I decided to stay here. You're brother wanted to move back but he decided to stay since he found a nice girl."

"So you're leaving me here? You don't want me anymore?"

"Of course we want you! We just want you to be better before you come here."

'And there's no more room for you Chanmi.'

Chanmi stood up and brushed back her tears. Her phone fell to the floor in pieces as she flung it against the wall. Her eyes widened when she realized what she did, her entire body shaking. She grabbed her coat and walked to the nearest store, pushing past people and ignoring their curses. The glass door dinged as she walked to the back, grabbing as many bottles as she could. Her tears blocked her vision as she slipped back into her apartment, throwing the bottles onto the couch.

Pororo jumped in surprise and ran towards Chanmi's lap, settling himself before going back to sleep. She opened a bottle of soju and threw the cap on the floor. screamed in pain as she gulped it down without stopping. Her fingers trembled as she opened another one.

"That's right Chanmi," She mimicked her mother's voice, "Just smile and pretend you're happy. That way it'll work."

 

••••••••

author's corner; 

So I finally managed to update! Yay! Also, yeah I understand that many of you will be confused about this chapter but I've given hints along the way. Sometimes the happiest people are the saddest. I think that's true about most of us. Especially for good ol'Chanmi. I wanted to introduce another side to her instead of being that happy go lucky girl that we love. Remember, not everyone is happy all the time. Not everyone is perfect. But that doesn't mean we're not to other people. So yeah, you might think that I'm going to go for that whole cliche kind of girl who's happy but depressed inside. Maybe I will and maybe I won't. Feel free to comment and let me know what you think! Don't forget to upvote as well! P.S Comments would make me happier than upvotes. Also, I've reached 100,000 views! Thank you so much guys! Oh! What do you think of my new poster?

P.P.S there's a new fluff and comedy story coming soon. You guys excited?