Soft Whispers and Red Cheeks

How I Met Byun Baekhyun

'Why isn't he looking away? Do I look weird?'

Chanmi stared at her hands in her lap and grew frustrated as she struggled what to say. He hasn't stopped looking at her the moment they decided to eat at a nearby restaurant famous for its noodles and dumplings. She could feel the palms of her hands sweating and reached for a napkin. Her cheeks grew red when she saw him reach over as well. He awkwardly smiled as he handed her some napkins before wiping the sweat off his face.

"Again I am so so so sorry for not recognizing you! It's just that..."

'Oh god. Just what!? That I look uglier than you thought!? That you regret setting up date!?'

"Just that?" She felt her voice get higher, "Just what?"

"You look more beautiful since the last time I saw you."

He felt his throat go dry as she covered to stiffle her laughter. He was always such a smooth talker that it freaked him out when he could barely get any words out. There was something about her that confused him more than it should. The world seemed to freeze when he felt her fingers on his face. He could feel the warmth radiating from her. All he wanted to do was reach for her hand and keep it there as long as possible.

"Sorry. There was a piece stuck on your cheek."

"Thanks."

Chanmi looked up at him and smiled awkwardly as they waited for their food. She bit her lips as she struggled to remember exactly what was on the note Baekhyun gave her. There was something about pretending to enjoy the same things even if it wasn't true.

"So, what made you forget what I looked like?"

"I'm sorry?"

"What made you forget about me?"

"I honestly don't know."

She felt her heart sink at the realization that he completely forgot about her. Maybe it was because she wasn't interesting enough. She was probably too boring and stupid that he completely forgot about her. It wouldn't be the first time.

"Oh."

"Because you look pretty."

"Huh?

Chanmi's cheeks grew red when he leaned in closer. His beautiful brown eyes pierced through her soul and it took everything in her willpower not to jump him. He smiled shyly and leaned back when he noticed the food coming towards them.

"I didn't forget about you. I guess I didn't realize you could look even more prettier than the last time I saw you."

"Really?"

"Of course."

She brushed away her hair and sat up straighter, "Luhan oppa, you are such a tease."

••••••••

"Thank you!"

Luhan stood behing Chanmi as she thanked the owner of the restaurant before heading out. She reached at her bun and unraveled it as she shook her hair out. She turned back to stare at him before reaching back up to fix it. Her eyes widened when he stopped her and moved her hand away from her face.

"Leave it," He smiled, "You look amazing."

She nodded and stood closer besides him as he grabbed the roses from the table. He reached for her hand as a group of workers came inside the store and pushed them aside. Chanmi winced as someone pushed her closer into Luhan's chest. She clenched her hands as she waited for more bumps and potential bruises. She looked up as Luhan pushed his way in front of her and led her outside. 

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Just a bit flustered."

Chanmi looked down at his hands at the damaged roses and sighed. It was such a metaphor for how crappy her life is. There was always something that went wrong during her dates. But still, they were too pretty to throw away. She reached over and grabbed a single rose before placing it behind her ear. She began to throw them away but stopped before grabbing another rose. With a shy smile and trembling hands, she placed it inside Luhan's suit pocket. 

"See? They didn't go to waste."

Luhan laughed as her rose covered almost half of her face. He grabbed her hand and they walked to the nearby park. Chanmi's heart raced as he leaned closer besides her. They walked in silence before sitting down on a bench.

"How have you been doing?"

"Good. Just a bit busy."

Luhan fixed her rose as it fell out, "I hope this date isn't too boring."

"Don't worry. I like boring."

Chanmi brushed back her hair and stared at the couples walking by. All she had to do was follow Baekhyun's rules and she could end up like that one day. She could pretend for a few more dates and she could be a couple too. But it the end she would still be lying.

"I'm sorry."

"What?"

"I'm sorry I lied about the dates. I guess I was scared that if you didn't end up liking me, even a little bit, I wouldn't have a chance with the rest of them. I just wanted to see if there was a chance that even 1 of the dates would ask for another. I never meant to lie or deceive anyone. But that doesn't mean I lied during the date! I really enjoyed it!"

"Chanmi..."

"So I'll understand if you don't want to do this anymore."

"Chanmi?"

"Yes?"

Luhan struggled to keep a straight face, "What kind of ice cream do you like?"

"What?"

"Personally I like strawberry. But butter pecan is an amazing one too. What do you like?"

"Why?" Chanmi grew confused, "I like cookies and cream."

"Because it's too hot and I really want some ice cream."

"Can I get a double scoop?"

••••••••

"Wait, you were a writer!?"

Chanmi wiped away the melting ice cream from her lips and slowly nodded. So far they had discussed their mutual hatred for hot weather and their fear of heights. Luhan was practically a little kid in a hot man's body. God, he was too hot to even stare at.

"I mean I entered some competitions in high school and won some awards," Chanmi clarified.

"Wow. They must have been good if you won national competitions."

"I guess."

"Do you enjoy writing?"

"I do. A lot actually. I stopped though. I just couldn't do it anymore."

Luhan nodded his head, "So why didn't you become a writer after high school?"

"My parents thought it was too much of an unstable career."

"What do they do?"

Chanmi simply shrugged, "My mom is a math professor at a big university and my dad is some kind of famous surgeon."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah."

"And your brother?"

"He's in some big name university in Toronto studying to become an engineer in biology or technology. I can't remember."

"Wow."

Luhan stared in wonder as Chanmi sat down. He knew there was something about her that made him curious. Who knew she came from such an affluent family? HThey had walked the entire park twice and he barely realized the pain in her eyes as she adjusted her heels. He winced when he noticed the cuts on her heels as she took them off. She gasped when he sat down and grabbed her feet before massaging them.

"Luhan! I'm fine!"

"It's okay. Go ahead. I'm still listening."

"Well they thought that being a writer wasn't a suitable job. So in the end I went to school for medicine. I wanted to become a pediatrician."

"But?"

"But things happened and here I am; a broke 22 year old with a used bookstore that my parents bought me and that no one ever goes to."

"I understand. I wanted to become an actor but my parents wanted me to continue my father's business."

Chanmi burst out laughing, "An actor!? You can't be serious!"

"I am!" Luhan argued, "I got the looks and the acting chops!"

"Prove it."

Luhan's eyes changed as he leaned in closer. He could see her breathing growing faster and her hands closing in around her shirt. He could almost taste the cherry flavored lip tint on her lips. His head grew cloudy and he rested his chin on the crook of her shoulder.

"I missed you," He whispered, "You have no idea how much I thought about you."

He slowly backed away and locked his eyes on hers. Chanmi looked away and started fanning herself. She could feel his eyes still on her face and she quickly stood up. Luhan leaned back with a slight smirk. 

"Wow!" She clapped her hands loudly, "Wow! You are amazing!"

"And that's just a sneak peek."

"Really? I guess you're just going to have to show me."

"I guess I have to."

Chanmi held out her hand and she pulled Luhan up. They walked to the park exit with smiles on their faces. She reached into her bag and pulled out the stack of notecards Baekhyun had given her. With a determined look, she tossed them inside the nearest trashcan. She looked up at Luhan with a mischievous grin as she stopped in front of him.

"Do you want to play a game?"

"What kind of game?" He chuckled, "Is it fun?"

"It's a game no one has ever beaten me in."

"What's the prize?"

"If you win," Chanmi laughed, "I'll have to buy you a really nice meal."

"And if you win?" Luhan grew curious, "What do you get?"

Chanmi leaned in closer and brushed back her hair, exposing the nape of her neck. She motioned for him to come closer and she giggled when he shuddered from her breath on his neck. He could feel his lips almost kissing her neck and he breathed in her sweet perfume.

"I get to see more of those sneak peeks you're hiding from me."

Luhan's eyes grew bright, "Chanmi, you're such a tease."

 

••••••••

 

author's corner; 

So I updated!! HOW DID YOU ENJOY THIS CHAPTER!? PLEASE COMMENT ABOUT ANYTHING! COMMENT AND UPVOTE IF YOU WISH! I'm so sorry for taking forever to update! I will try my best to update sometime this week or next week. I hope all of you keep enjoying it even though I feel it's getting more and more repetitive. Hopefully the story doesn't go over 70 chapters but there's a possibility it might. Is That Ok with Everyone??  LOL. I want to thank everyone who has subscribed, upvoted and commented. It means a lot to me. 

PLEASE CHECK OUT MY NEW STORY! IT FELT LIKE LOVE ft Sehun and Chanyeol

P.S SUHO IS SLAYING ME! HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS ADORABLE DORK!

tumblr_o8qbhiXLZw1r0q8i2o4_400.gif