Operation Chanmi

How I Met Byun Baekhyun

"So you're saying that this is your plan?"

"Yeah. Why? What's wrong with it?"

"I mean, it's a terrible one."

Baekhyun frowned as Eunji shrugged. He had rushed to his aunt's apartment to speak with her about his brilliant plan. But according to her, he might as well raise the white flag. Of course, his aunt had to input her opinion.

"I think it's great that you're giving her a chance to find someone who loves her and someone she loves as well."

"Thanks mom," Eunji rolled her eyes, "You might as well have told Baek to just give up."

"Why is it just a bad plan!?" Baekhyun was growing desperate, "Tell me Eunji!"

Eunji walked over to the living room and stood up on the coffee table. She motioned for Baekhyun to sit down on the couch. She sighed when her mom also joined him. After all, no one could ignore Song Eunji's advice.

"First off, letting her continue the dates is not a bad idea. I doubt she'll find someone within that large group who she will like. Chanmi has higher standards than I do. But the fact that you are encouraging her is maddening!"

"Why?"

"Because!" She yelled, "You're showing her that all you care about is becoming the matchmaking king!"

"That's true," Mrs. Song nodded, "All she will think is that you never cared for her."

Baekhyun stood up and pushed Eunji out the way. He waited until she sat down before clearing his throat. The reason he had come so early was to prove to her that he did love Chanmi, in his own strange way. 

He wasn't giving up but he also wasn't going to just randomly declare his love. Eunji had a point, as much as he hated that fact, that Chanmi deserved happiness. He would let her continue the dates and wait to see if she fell in love with someone or vice versa.

Even if it means that he would never confess to her if she did fall in love.

He owed Chanmi that much.

"I'm not going to encourage her. I'll just be there to make sure she doesn't get hurt. The moment she decides that none of them are for her, I will be there to confess to her."

"And if you find out it's not actually love?" Mrs. Song sighed, "Then what?"

"Then I'll keep helping her until she finds someone."

"God, I hope you do love her," Eunji clenched her hands, "Because I am completely exhausted."

Baekhyun sat back down and rubbed his face. This was probably the worst thing that has happened to him since finding out Song Ji Hyo and Kim Jong Kook were kicked out of Running Man. 

"Well I wish you luck Baek."

"Thanks aunt."

"But trust me, this whole plan will fall apart the moment you go back."

"What?"

"Exactly," Eunji rolled her eyes, "Because it's time for jealous ByunBaek to shine."

••••••••

"What do you think?"

"It smells interesting."

"So it doesn't smell good?"

Baekhyun looked at what looked like hangover stew in his bowl. He had come back to Chanmi's apartment to find the house under a thick layer of smoke. He barely managed to put out the small fire before he was dragged to the kitchen table. 

"I mean, it smells like food. I'm not sure how to explain it."

"I forgot I had put it on high heat before I showered."

"We could have just gone breakfast somewhere."

"But you didn't eat what I made yesterday so I wanted to cook something nice for you."

He watched as Chanmi picked up his bowl before tossing it in the garbage. She went back and rested her head on the table. Baekhyun smacked his head as he sat down next to her. He wrapped his arm around her and nudged her head with his.

"Hey, I completely appreciate you doing this for me."

"You do?"

"Of course! Not even my own mother takes care of me the way you do."

"Ayy, you're lying!"

"I'm not!

Chanmi sat up and gave him a large smile. She grabbed his hands and swung them back and forth. Baekhyun struggled to contain the sound of his heartbeat going faster. But he soon gave up when her laughter filled the air.

Dugeun. Dugeun.

"Since you appreciate the fact that I take care of you, can you do me a favor?"

"Anything you want."

"Can I borrow some money?"

••••••••

"You're wearing that?"

"Yeah? Why? Does it look bad?"

Chanmi was wearing black skinny jeans and a light blue blouse. She paired a thick grey cardigan and black boots. Half of her hair was tied with loose curls. Her cheeks were a light pink and her lips had a tint of red. 

She looked absolutely beautiful.

"I mean... it looks nice. Are you sure that blouse isn't too light?"

"It's blue."

"It's a light blue."

"And?"

Chanmi turned to look at the mirror and swung her red designer bag over her arm. She nodded to herself in approval as she headed towards the door. She quickly turned around and stretched her hands to Baekhyun. She blinked her eyes and smiled as he put bills into them.

"Make sure you're never alone with him."

"Got it."

"Make sure you're always around people in case anything happens."

"Got it."

"I'll text you a number of this officer friend I have in case anything happens."

"I doubt it."

"Call me if you need help okay? No matter what time."

"Yes mom."

Baekhyun tapped his chin as he struggled to remember what else he wanted to say to her. He reached out towards her bag to make sure she had the presents he had bought her. He smiled when he saw the bright pink pepper spray can and whistle. He would have bought the stun gun if it had been available.

"Anything else?"

Don't go.

"Have fun."

••••••••

"So you're saying this coupon is expired?"

"Yes, it expired 2 days ago."

"And this one?"

"It doesn't start until next week."

Jongin stared at the 2 coupons in his hands. He knew there was a reason why he had found them in his work's trashcan. He thought that fate had finally decided not to be cruel to him but this was just wrong. 

"So is there anything I can do?"

"Well we do have a promotion for half off the first hour. But I'm not sure you would like to participate."

"Half off?"

"Yes."

Jongin pulled out his wallet and felt his heart break as his credit card slid through the cash register. He didn't realize how expensive bowling could be. It took all of his strength not to cry in front of everyone.

He wordlessly smiled at the cashier before heading to grab his shoes. Jongin stopped in his tracks and turned to stare at the girl who had pulled his sweater. Her eyes were a crescent moon and her smile was blinding.

"I'm so sorry I'm late. The train took longer than expected."

"Tha..that's fine. I just got here. I mean, I didn't just get here but I was waiting for like 10 minutes."

"You were? I'm sorry."

"No! Why would you be sorry?"

Jongin smiled as she brushed back her curls. She grabbed his hand and pulled him towards her as a large cart was passing. The smell of roses made him want to faint out of joy. 

"Are you all right?"

"Thank you Chanmi."

"No problem."

Chanmi followed after Jongin as they made their way to a lane. She blushed as he helped her down the steps and wiped the bench for her. They walked to get the balls before they were stopped by an employee.

"What is your team name?"

"I'm sorry?" Jongin frowned, "Team name?"

"Yes. What is the name?"

Jongin looked around and felt his blood drain from his face. He stepped in front of Chanmi to prevent her from seeing the large banner hanging overhead. He felt his heart beat faster as she started giggling.

Couples Tournament. Only the winners will live happily ever after!

"How about JongMi?" Chanmi laughed, "JongIn and ChanMi!"

 

••••••••

author's corner; 

OMG! I UPDATED AGAIN!! WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! Anywho, this chapter isn't that great but I hope everyone enjoyed it. This is such a terrible chapter but I needed a way to introduce Chanmi's next date. Kim Jongin! AKA Kai! I hope everyone enjoyed this chapter so please don't forget to comment! I will try to update again next week but if not, Happy Holidays!