Own Worst Enemy

How I Met Byun Baekhyun

"That's right Chanmi, you look fantastic."

Chanmi smirked as she stared at the cracked mirror in her room. It was too small for her to see her body but it was enough to boost her confidence. She slid into her oversized sweater and let her hair hang straight. Her jeans were baggy and she wasn't wearing makeup. The only color that stood out was her light green shoes. She looked more like a broke college student than a person who was making a life-changing decision.

"Chanmi? Are you ready? You're going to be late!"

Baekhyun looked from his bowl of cereal and his jaw dropped. Chanmi was wearing her old clothes again and her purse was hanging by a thread. Her hair hung limply and every time she looked down it fell in front of her face. All his work was going to waste.

"What are you wearing?"

"Clothes?"

"I mean why are you wearing those clothes."

She looked down at herself and shrugged as she wrapped a scarf around her neck. It was the first time in a long time that she felt confident about herself. She was tired of acting like someone else. If there truly was a man who was willing to love her, then he had to love all of her. Perfections and imperfections.

"You're not going out like that right?" Baekhyun's voice grew desperate, "You're going to change before meeting him right?"

Chanmi looked at him and she could feel her heart breaking just a little bit. Who was she kidding? Baekhyun would never love her considering everything he said to her. From forcing her to change her smile and laugh to even telling her what to wear, it was enough to force her back inside her room.

But she's not going to give up. She's going to love herself before some stupid boy like him.

"No," Chanmi straightened her back, "I'm meeting him like this."

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

"What would you like to order?"

Minseok stared at the menu in front of his hands and sighed. Nothing on it looked appetizing and frankly, the restaurant didn't look clean enough. He simply ordered water and glanced towards the door. Either he was too early or she was late. He looked down at his glass and wiped away at an invisible spot.

"Minseok?"

He looked up to see Chanmi smiling at him. She quickly sat down and brushed back her long hair. Minseok quickly glanced over her and noticed she was wearing old clothes. It was a complete 180° from the last time he saw her.

"I'm sorry for being late." Chanmi smiled, "The bus was running late."

"That's fine. I got here a little early."

They stared at each other wordlessly as the waiter came back with menus. He stared at the pictures and decided to get a salad. Chanmi on the other hand decided that oily pasta was the best thing for lunch. Minseok watched as she took off her thick scarf and noticed her large sweater. Either he was overdressed or she was underdressed.

"I just wanted to apologize again for what happened." Chanmi looked down, "I didn't mean to lie."

"That's fine," Minseok's voice softened, "It wasn't your fault."

"Thank you."

Chanmi looked up and smiled as the smell of the pasta from the plate in the waiter's hands reached her. She grabbed her fork and began to eat. What she didn't notice was that some of hair had fallen into the plate. Minseok stared in horror as she simply wiped it and brushed it back. It wasn't that he was disgusted by what had happened but he was a bit surprised with how she was handling it.

Minseok cleared his throat and went back to his salad with a sick feeling in his stomach. He just needed to relax. He knew that Chanmi wasn't a complete slob. Rather, he hoped that she wasn't a slob. With a determined fist he looked up just in time to see oil around Chanmi's lips and her hair back on the plate.

"Chanmi?"

"Yes?"

"You have something on your face and your hair is in your actual pasta."

"Really?"

Chanmi wiped her face with a napkin and gathered her hair into a ponytail after cleaning it off with water. She began to eat her pasta again when she caught Minseok's expression. It was sort of a mixture between surprise, anxiety and a hint of disgust. It wasn't exactly the best way to make a second impression.

"Is everything all right?"

"Do you normally eat like this?"

"Sometimes. When I'm super hungry."

"Do all girls eat like that?"

"I'm not too sure."

Minseok forced a smile, "I guess I didn't notice the way you eat. It's strange in a way."

'Why does he look disappointed? Is he upset with the way she is eating? Does she look like a pig?'

Chanmi could feel her food rising in and her eyes started to water. Who was she kidding? Did she actually think she had the guts to not care about what a handsome smart guy thought about her? She could feel her tears start to fall when she suddenly thought about Baekhyun. All she could hear was his stupid voice and his stupid words.

'Remember Chanmi, you cannot be yourself. Guys only want a girl with a nice personality. Not a weird girl who likes straws.'

"Why?"

"Excuse me?"

Minseok looked up from his salad and stared as Chanmi wiped away her face and stood up. He noticed her trembling hands and stood up when she grabbed her bag. The strap snapped and all her belongings fell onto the floor. Chanmi quickly grabbed her things and she looked towards him with a fierce determination.

"It's not strange the way I eat. So what if I have food all over my mouth? I like the way I am and I don't care if you don't."

"Chanmi, what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong. I just realized that I shouldn't have to change who I am to please you or anybody else."

"Did I say or do something?"

Chanmi sighed in relief and she grabbed some money before placing it onto the table. She didn't care if she looked crazy. All she wanted was to enjoy being herself and not let anyone make her feel bad about who she was.

"I am really sorry," Chanmi straightened her back, "I never meant to hurt you with what I did but I don't think we match in any way. I'm not the girl you're looking for Minseok. I don't like cooking or cleaning. I'm just a girl who enjoys being who she is and I don't think we should continue these dates."

With a deep bow, Chanmi walked away while holding onto her bag. She ignored the stares from other customers as she left. Chanmi walked back to her neighborhood with a smile on her face as she spoke to herself.

"That's right. You did the right thing. You deserve to be happy Chanmi."

She walked to her apartment building and stopped when she noticed Baekhyun outside. He looked up and smiled as she walked closer to her. Chanmi winced when her heart raced faster and her face turned red. She stopped in her tracks and smiled softly to herself as she looked down at her broken bag.

'That's right Chanmi. You deserve to be happy. All you need to do is find someone who will love you like you love yourself. Even if it's not with Baekhyun.'

"Chanmi? What are you doing here so early?"

"Who am I kidding?" Chanmi whispered to herself, "Of course it has to be with Baekhyun."

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

author's corner;

I am so sorry for not updating sooner. School is killing me and I finally have a day off from exams and homework. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and let me know what you think. Hopefully none of you end up hating Minseok! I wasn't trying to make him a bad guy but I need to eliminate potential suitors for Chanmi!

Please upvote and subscribe if you enjoyed this chapter! If you do unsubscribe, please let me know (in message) why you did and how I can improve the story/my writing. Have a wonderful week everyone! I love you!

Image result for 12th doctor gif

Probably most of you after reading this chapter!